Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Face Scabby

Lana Dove

Lairian
Armani, my 8 years old male sphynx cat started to show face scabs and it lasts few days until the scab falls off. I have been trying to figure out for months by removing one blanket, one cat post, changed water bowl, etc and still he gets face scabs on and off every 2-3 months. I desperate need your help. The vet could not figure out. I have not changed the food. I do not change shampoo often. Im helpless.. he is not itching.. just scab then it falls off. He would rub his face on cat post just to rub scab off. Nothing bleeding or swelling.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 125

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Pay very close attention to everything he is rubbing. One member found her boy was rubbing on her husband's beard and the toiletry products/cologne was what was causing the problem and it looked very similar. Poor guy. Maybe others have some ideas as well.

Patti

Lana Dove

Lairian
Pay very close attention to everything he is rubbing. One member found her boy was rubbing on her husband's beard and the toiletry products/cologne was what was causing the problem and it looked very similar. Poor guy. Maybe others have some ideas as well.

Patti
Thank you Patti, I will most definitely pay attention extra closely. I appreciate your feedback knowing I am not the only one with that situation. It saddens me when I see it.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Armani, my 8 years old male sphynx cat started to show face scabs and it lasts few days until the scab falls off. I have been trying to figure out for months by removing one blanket, one cat post, changed water bowl, etc and still he gets face scabs on and off every 2-3 months. I desperate need your help. The vet could not figure out. I have not changed the food. I do not change shampoo often. Im helpless.. he is not itching.. just scab then it falls off. He would rub his face on cat post just to rub scab off. Nothing bleeding or swelling.
Does it smell? Does it ever bleed? Looks like a yeast infection perhaps or a very bad allergic reaction to something. Has the vet done a skin scraping? Thats would be the next step I would imagine, they need to get it under a microscope. :)

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lana Dove , Welcome to you and your boy to the lair ! What is his name! .

Sending best wishes you get some answers soon! I am sure others will chime in too- we all worry about each other's babies like one of our own- so please keep us posted!

Has the vet done a skin scraping to rule out things? Get a baseline ?

Was he put on any medications or topical ointments? definitely need to be carful with topical stuff that he could lick off and ingest

Perhaps a second opinion at a different vet?

Sending healing vibes and all Paws crossed you get a diagnosis and answers soon

Please keep us updated
Head smooches to your boy!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
And if your vet hasn't done a skin scraping and thorough analysis, I'd definitely try another vet.

Sending you well wishes on sussing this out. Looks painful.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Poor baby, not only would I have a skin scrape, I would have
a allergy test done.
If your Vet, isn't willing to work with you. Or maybe, simply
do know what to do. Get another Vet and Have these test done.
Please keep us updated.

Lana Dove

Lairian
@Lana Dove , Welcome to you and your boy to the lair ! What is his name! .

Sending best wishes you get some answers soon! I am sure others will chime in too- we all worry about each other's babies like one of our own- so please keep us posted!

Has the vet done a skin scraping to rule out things? Get a baseline ?

Was he put on any medications or topical ointments? definitely need to be carful with topical stuff that he could lick off and ingest

Perhaps a second opinion at a different vet?

Sending healing vibes and all Paws crossed you get a diagnosis and answers soon

Please keep us updated
Head smooches to your boy!
Thank you for the healing vibes. Armani is not uncomfortable, he gets moody. I t is hard to say why he is moody, because I work long hours or he does not like his companion cat. I started a full time job in November 2014 and Armani is not used to me not being home all day. That's why I got him a cat companion, they used to breed together. They do not get along. They won't stop smacking each other. Does that stress Armani out and breaks out?
I was told not to put any medication on. The vet suspect it was allergies. I never thought of skin scraping to do some testings. I will do that when the scab comes back. Once the scab develops I will call the vet immediately to collect the skin. Right now it is clearing up.. Armani is one good looking cat and when scab comes, it really breaks my heart. I can email to the vet and send several pictures as the scab comes and goes every 2-3 months. It has been going on for less than a year. I thought it would be one time thing but became 2-3 months. I will keep in touch.

Lana Dove

Lairian
Does it smell? Does it ever bleed? Looks like a yeast infection perhaps or a very bad allergic reaction to something. Has the vet done a skin scraping? Thats would be the next step I would imagine, they need to get it under a microscope. :)
Good Morning, it does not smell, it never bleed, most doubt it would be yeast infection. There is no oozing or funky smell. First it would develop red bumps then after 24-48 hours it turns into dark scab. I don't pick it off. It hardens then eventually falls off, sometimes I would get hot washcloth and help him feel comfortable by wiping scabs off (as long its easily wiped off not forced) The vet has not done skin scraping. You were the second person asking me about skin scraping. I will keep it in mind when he breaks out again. Right now it is clearing up. Thank you for your suggestion.

Lana Dove

Lairian

Patti
I will pay attention to what he is rubbing on. I will clean up my house. It is not dirty, just messy and he could have got into something to rub on that he reacted to. Armani loves beards, if my daughter's male friend visits, my cat goes crazy. That was over a year ago. I will pay more attention to what he is targeting on. Thank you for the ideas.

Lana Dove

Lairian
And if your vet hasn't done a skin scraping and thorough analysis, I'd definitely try another vet.

Sending you well wishes on sussing this out. Looks painful.
The vet does not often see a sphynx and I am very positive the vet will want to do the skin scraping. I brought him in one time and thought it was allergies. I should have follow up with the vet to let her know its not one time, its on going problems. I will most definitely email the vet and heads up that once Armani breaks out, I will bring him in immediately. Right now his face is clearing up, scabs are falling off. He is not uncomfortable, in pain or anything. Nothing at all, he misses me a lot because I got a new job since November 2014, I am not home 12-14 hours a day. It made it hard on me because I got homesick, catsick, kidssick! I have to earn a living. Armani has a companion, another sphynx so he is not alone but I know he prefers me. Thank you about skin scraping suggestion. I will put that on top priority.

Lana Dove

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Poor baby, not only would I have a skin scrape, I would have
a allergy test done.
If your Vet, isn't willing to work with you. Or maybe, simply
do know what to do. Get another Vet and Have these test done.
Please keep us updated.
The cat vet is new to sphynx. she does not see hairless cats often. I am sure she is new to it. At first the vet thought it was allergies. The scab went away, few months later, it came back, I just knew the procedure that it will go away but then it became ongoing problems, thats where it got me concerned. I should have communicated with the vet to let her know its coming back every 2-3 months. I will also recommend skin scraping. My vet is wonderful and its a perfect place because it is for cats only, no dogs.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
With no bleeding or bad smell it really sounds like an allergy to something. What you describe sounds like a hive breakout. Does the face seem warm or swollen when he has a breakout?
Keep us updated.
You might want to take a warm washcloth and use like a compress. It can give a little relief of it is itchy and remove some of whatever is on the area that is irratating it.

Lana Dove

Lairian
With no bleeding or bad smell it really sounds like an allergy to something. What you describe sounds like a hive breakout. Does the face seem warm or swollen when he has a breakout?
Keep us updated.
You might want to take a warm washcloth and use like a compress. It can give a little relief of it is itchy and remove some of whatever is on the area that is irratating it.
It could be allergies. I did not change food because their stomach are sensitive if I keep changing food. I feed them Special 33 Royal Canin dry food.. sometimes wet food.. I did put warm washcloth last night on his face.. his precious face when he looks at me. He is always warm laying under the covers but he is not feverish or disoriented. He does not swell up. It starts with red bumps then 24-48 hours the color I ask my son to check on him while I am at work. I leave home 5:30 am and arrive home 8:30 pm. It is very tough for me.. the commute is killing my time of the day. I work 8 1/2 hours and commute is 5 hours a day. (I will move closer to my new job in a year or two) I will keep you posted about Armani

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lana Dove , ((((( hugs)))) to you ! You are amazing...
When you get a moment we would love a pic of Armani and companion/ name?
Perhaps the new work schedule has been stressful to them as well - I used to work 12 hr shifts with. 2 hr commute each way - I get it -
I would try to sneak in a few minutes of separate play time for each perhaps right before bed with a Pole toy like a Da bird toy- them put it away when not in use -

I take two dabird toys together and play simultaneously tossing treats - how long has the companion been with you and Armani? Sometimes it just takes a little longer to adjust to all the newness and schedule - heck it took our rescue Bengal forever before she was even interested and looking at another cats way and she was with Yoda for over a year .. Some just take longer

Hope you gets minute to share some pics! Love his name btw!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome @Lana Dove to you and Armani! Sorry to see Armani has this face issue. I'm can't give you advice cause I have no clue what this could be but wanted to welcome you. All paws and fingers crossed here you find the cause of this issue!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It could be allergies. I did not change food because their stomach are sensitive if I keep changing food. I feed them Special 33 Royal Canin dry food.. sometimes wet food.. I did put warm washcloth last night on his face.. his precious face when he looks at me. He is always warm laying under the covers but he is not feverish or disoriented. He does not swell up. It starts with red bumps then 24-48 hours the color I ask my son to check on him while I am at work. I leave home 5:30 am and arrive home 8:30 pm. It is very tough for me.. the commute is killing my time of the day. I work 8 1/2 hours and commute is 5 hours a day. (I will move closer to my new job in a year or two) I will keep you posted about Armani

Yes, it could be allergies. That's why, I suggest, blood work.
If, it is, it, may require, prescription food. With limited ingredients.
Keep us posted.

Back