Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Farts and smell?

hair_is_square

Lairian
Hello everyone!

What a great site!

I am new, and also a new Sphynx (though already devoted) owner.
I have been wanting a sphynx for so many years, and finally I have the space, time and savings for one (I'm a student ;-)

I have bought the most wonderful adult from a very responsible and devoted breeder - and I love him to bits already! (my cat).
I have read a lot and done a lot of research - but still have some questions.

I am told that sphynx do smell more than other cats (when doing number 2) and also my cat farts a lot hehe.
Well aren't we just comfy ;-)

I wonder if there is anything I could do?
He is fed with quality food (Hills) but maybe you guys have some tips?
Supplements?
Anything?

And I am very sorry if this question is already answered somewhere on this page - I'm not so brilliant a user yet ;-)

Thanks!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I first got Butterball his flatulence and stool stunk to high heaven. Once I found a good diet and his his belly settled down his flatulence decreased and his stools became less odorous.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't say that they produce more potent smells than other cats, I've had some furry ones that were 'masters of their craft' :Smile:

I think the general consensus is if your kitty has an issue in this area, the first step would be to try a completely grain-free food.

hair_is_square

Lairian
Do any of you have recommendations for a good brand, maybe some of you have the same experiences (positive ones) with a specific brand of food?

Thanks for replying ;-)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome hair is square (love the name by the way!) to Sphynxlair! We use Science Diet and had good luck with the poop smell issue. Just keep steady with a solid diet, so there tummy gets use to the food. Im not sure how long you have had your Sphynx but change of diet can cause these issues. Dont forget to introduce yourself with pics of your sphynx in the "My Sphynx cat Tail" section!

wundrlust

Lairian
The only time my Nudies had any odor was when I fed them dry food. Since they have been off all dry food and grains I don't even know when they poop and not aware of gas. We use Taste of the Wild and Tiki as well as raw which I tend to feed more of. Raw makes a world of difference.

Good luck and please let us know what works for you!

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We feed Abby Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and it seems to work for us. But then again we live in the allergy captital of the US and no one in my family can smell anything:Hysterical: But more important to us - anything that Abby eats other than her food gives her the runs. :Hysterical: I am going to try and learn more about the raw diet, but am concerned about my chihuahua - she is a scavenger and will eat whatever the cat eats and I am not sure how she will do with a raw diet. Gotta keep both my girls happy.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, just keep in mind because there is no hair covering our kittys buts we notice the farts a bit more, and because the sphynx loves to be near us we smell them more so I think this is all normal:ThumbsUp: We feed science diet and have no issues.

Last edited:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have Mo on 'Hills Prescription Diet Low Allergen Z/D' it's quite expensive but worth it. It's a diet the vet introduced him to, you can get it from the internet or vet practices. Mo has poblems with gas and 'smelly smelly poo!!!' But it's not as bad with this food. Although Ican still hear him trumping inhis litter box from time to time!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have Mo on 'Hills Prescription Diet Low Allergen Z/D' it's quite expensive but worth it. It's a diet the vet introduced him to, you can get it from the internet or vet practices. Mo has poblems with gas and 'smelly smelly poo!!!' But it's not as bad with this food. Although Ican still hear him trumping inhis litter box from time to time!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: "Trumping". Halarious!

I love some of the words you use.:BigSmile:

hair_is_square

Lairian
Thanks everybody!
I very much appreciate your replies!

I am thinking about changing (slowly introducing) Hills prescription i/d, or maybe the low allergen type, as the last reply'er wrote about.

Thanks for the compliments about the avatar, I'll try to find out how to put more pics on my page .-)

ShayH

Lairian
Hello everyone!

What a great site!

I am new, and also a new Sphynx (though already devoted) owner.
I have been wanting a sphynx for so many years, and finally I have the space, time and savings for one (I'm a student ;-)

I have bought the most wonderful adult from a very responsible and devoted breeder - and I love him to bits already! (my cat).
I have read a lot and done a lot of research - but still have some questions.

I am told that sphynx do smell more than other cats (when doing number 2) and also my cat farts a lot hehe.
Well aren't we just comfy ;-)

I wonder if there is anything I could do?
He is fed with quality food (Hills) but maybe you guys have some tips?
Supplements?
Anything?

And I am very sorry if this question is already answered somewhere on this page - I'm not so brilliant a user yet ;-)

Thanks!
My farting girl Maeve had diarrhea with hills she still farts occasionally but not so much on Purina pro plan For sensitive stomachs she eats mostly the wet food but I also have a Devon who likes dry too so I also use a little bit of dry food. A free feed them the dry while I’m at work leaving it out in a bowl . From experience I have learned solidnot to feed the oatmeal/turkey mix the one oatmeal make her fart and nothing with wheat gluten they tend to have allergies. my girl is allergic to science diet. Several veterinarians have warned me not to feed them grain free because grain free kitties tend to have heart problems. My vet and I ran to the gamut of foods and this is the one that gives her solid poops that don’t stink and a little less farting but she is a farter. I’m glad she’s not the only Sphynx that farts.

shar mac

Lairian
when I got my girls they were a mess.. the previous owner had tried everything. One of my girls had soft poop and blood was mixed in it, it seemed slimy as well. My other girl had the worst smells coming put of her.. It was shocking.. thanks to the breeder I got my first handsome kitty from, she put me towards food that helps their skin as well. It’s Persian formula royal canine... it took a good 3 weeks before they were fairly cleared up... I do recommend to stick with one food only... very, very minimal treats and wet food after they clear their stomic out. Then give a little 1 or 2x a day separate from dry food. I give it to my cats as a treat... I think the bottom line is. By a really good food and stick with it. It will be worth it.

Back