Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

fat cat

sphynxsophia

Lairian
i have noticed that Sophia is rather chunky these days. I dont know if she is average and was just really skinny when we brought her home or if she has indeed gotten Fat (no PH!) I seem to grunt when she sits on my ap.. Fritz is so darn dainty that I have nothing ot compare Sophia too. We feed Before grain and sometimes a Fresh Selects (Im trying to wean her off though as I think its casing smelly poo). Im gonna post pics of the day we brought her home to just this week so you can see. if she IS overweight, what can I do? I am only feeding her a cup a day of the kibble and a half cup a day of the fresh selects when she does get it. Doesnt seem like much.

Yea Impretty sure she has gotten larger after looking at pics. She was 14 months when we got her in March so she is 17 now.. I imagine she would be fullgrown. She is very active.

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 156
  • june.jpg
    june.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 176

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:LOL: I think she's cute chubby.......I have seen some pretty fat Sphynx. I think many of them get "chubby" as they get older. Once they are fixed they get the chub....:LOL:

Even my little Bells has that Sphynx pot tummy and he's just know at 7mo. I was just
flipping his fat rolls this morning telling him he was getting fat:LOL:...He was looking at me like "You have no room to talk lady!":LOL::LOL::LOL:

sphynxsophia

Lairian
Ah, well yes she did get spayed about amonth after she arrived her so that would make sense. I thought maybe I was feeding her badly but it didnt even seem like much..but she will eat if I put it in front of her and she looooooves her meats but they make her poo sooooo bad... Ok, well that eases my mind a little.. shes jus soooo opposite of Fritz as you can see int he last pic. shes the football player and he is the ballerina so I didnt know if she was large as she most def is in charge!

Caylynn

Lairian
She is a big girl and he's a tiny delicate boy, but unless the vet says that she is overweight and needs to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some sphynx are a little "stockier" than others - my Merlin has wider shoulders than my other sphynx, Dragonheart, so he looks a little stockier, whereas Dragonheart has more a little belly, since he is narrow.

In general, cats do tend to put on weight after they are fixed. As long as the vet says they are still at a healthy weight, then it's fine. The problem is when they start to put on too much weight, which can lead to other health problems.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She does look like a big girl, but I would check with your vet whether she's really overweight or if she's just a big girl. You can always try a diet or light type of food, then you don't have to feed less, it just has less calories.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In the first photo she doesnt look fat, but in the 2nd pic she may be a little chubby. You should be able to feel her ribs and if she is lying in the sun, and the light hits her you should see a very very faint ripple of the rib cage.

I would reccomend weighing her once a week, then you can determine if she is continuing to gain or maintaining her weight. Just hop on a regular scale while holding her and then weigh yourself and substract. If she is not continuing to gain I wouldnt worry too much.

If she is still gaining every week, then usually people go on a low calorie version of the same food, so you dont have to feed any less and they dont go hungry.

You can also try playing with her with a favorite toy, every day for 15 mins and if you give treats, give low cal ones, and then throw the treats so she has to run and chase them.

If you've seen pics of Nofuratu, I think he is the ideal sphynx weight for his build, but I have another cat that Ive only had a few months, named Vladimir who is definetely tubby! LOL. Since Ive gotten him we play a lot and he's definetely lost weight running around the house and chasing the other cats.

Dont forget sphynx are supposed to have a pot belly, so that part doesnt count!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I would say she looks a bit chubby :Surprise: I agree with weekly weight checks to see if it is a constant gain or was just from being fixed and getting comfy in her new home.
If it is constant, a diet would be a good idea, too much weight on their tiny legs can cause problems.

Sphynxaholic

Lairian
She is SOOO cute like that though. I love the bossy look on her face in the 2nd picture, she looks like she has alot of personality! I just wanna snuggle her and tickle her chubby lil belly aww :LOL:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh yea... she's looking a bit porky. So darn cute though:Smile: But we know its not healthy. I think the average weight for a full grown female Sphynx is suppose to be around 8 lbs. Cats are fully matured @ 1 year old. Doesn't sound like she's eating that much. She must just have a sluggish metabolism.

Back