Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone. Brian looks a lot better in terms of his eye and he has started playing much more. My main concern now is that he is so so skinny since this period of illness. His spine and hip bones protrude - he looks like a neglected kitten :( I need hip to fatten up to get stronger and fight off anything else that comes his way. I asks the vet for some critical care food but she said his royal canin kitten food will be full of enough calories??? ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372667700.383691.jpg binx is a lovely healthy weight :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372667733.335810.jpg I am feeding them both more often to try to fatten him up but he's still not getting any fatter:( anyone tried any supplements for this?

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes...Emma loves her baby food treats...she especially loves the meat flavors like chicken in gray, beef in gravy, etc.

Good luck!!!

susi794

Staff member
You can also feed him glop--it is extremely healthy and meant to fatten up sick or orphaned cats. Here are a couple of recipes for it:
ALTABELLA CATTERY'S KITTEN GLOP

INGREDIENTS:
1 lg. can evaporated milk (not Milnot)
2 tbsp. plain yogurt (not diet)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (real)
1 tbs. Karo Syrup (light)
1 pkg. Knox gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)
1 cup of liquid unflavored Pedialyte

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise and syrup together well.
Bring 1 cup water to boil and mix in Knox gelatin; set aside.
Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well.
Add gelatin and water to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well.
Pour into a freezer safe bowl or similar type of bowl with a cover and set in refrigerator.
We usually use Ice Cube Trays for our glop pudding. Pudding will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator.
Always warm pudding to room temperature (milk form) before feeding.
It is very rich in calcium, this pudding can be used as a supplement for kittens, sick cats and show cats to put on weight. Several Veterinarians have approved this recipe as being balanced and nutritious.

FRANNY SYUFY'S ABOUT.COM GLOP

Popularly known as "Kitty Glop" among breeders, this recipe is packed with nutrition for orphaned kittens, nursing mother cats and their babies, cats recuperating from illness and older cats who need nutritional supplementing. Some recipes call for canned goats milk; if you have it readily available it's fine, otherwise canned evaporated cows' milk works well.¹ The recipe sets up to a gelatin-like consistency in the refrigerator, and can be stored there for up to two weeks. It can also be frozen in an ice tray for convenience in serving. To serve, warm to room temperature. Do not pour back unused portions into the mix.

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
1 12oz can of whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons plain yogurt, not nonfat

Boil the water, add the gelatin - stir well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: 1/2 of the canned milk, mayonnaise and yogurt; the rest of the milk. Variations include the addition of kitty vitamins, acidophilus, and/or pureed baby food meat such as lamb, chicken, or beef. Franny adds: "I have seen variations with two egg yolks added, but I would caution against this, due to the risk of salmonella with raw eggs. For very easy mixing, you can use a blender at low speed, but I also like a bowl with a wire whisk."

DEBBIE ARSICH'S BELLBOOKNBENGAL GLOP

Pedialyte: 10-12 ounces
Goat's Milk: 12 ounce can
Knox gelatin: 1 package
Mayonnaise (the real stuff): 2 Tablespoons
Plain, Live Culture Yogurt: 2 Tablespoons
Karo Syrup: 1 teaspoon
Baby Meat (I use Beechnut turkey or veal): 2 jars

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That was a great post Suzie . I'm sure he will pick up weight now that he's feeling better. Mine love the meat baby food also.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Be sure the baby food doesn't have garlic or onion in it. Stick with the ones that say "and gravy" like beef and gravy, chicken and gravy, turkey and gravy as [MENTION=4127]PrimateLove[/MENTION] said. The glop [MENTION=276]susi794[/MENTION] posted is also a great choice.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do they have food down all the time? You might want to supplement with some nutracal. Just a little on your finger and let him lick it off. They usually like it.

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can also feed him glop--it is extremely healthy and meant to fatten up sick or orphaned cats. Here are a couple of recipes for it:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg. Knox gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Add gelatin and water to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well.
Pour into a freezer safe bowl or similar type of bowl with a cover and set in refrigerator.
We usually use Ice Cube Trays for our glop pudding. Pudding will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator.
It is very rich in calcium, this pudding can be used as a supplement for kittens, sick cats and show cats to put on weight. Several Veterinarians have approved this recipe as being balanced and nutritious.

Popularly known as "Kitty Glop" among breeders, this recipe is packed with nutrition for orphaned kittens, nursing mother cats and their babies, cats recuperating from illness and older cats who need nutritional supplementing. Some recipes call for canned goats milk; if you have it readily available it's fine, otherwise canned evaporated cows' milk works well.¹ The recipe sets up to a gelatin-like consistency in the refrigerator, and can be stored there for up to two weeks. It can also be frozen in an ice tray for convenience in serving. To serve, warm to room temperature. Do not pour back unused portions into the mix.

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Boil the water, add the gelatin - stir well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: 1/2 of the canned milk, mayonnaise and yogurt; the rest of the milk. Variations include the addition of kitty vitamins, acidophilus, and/or pureed baby food meat such as lamb, chicken, or beef. Franny adds: "I have seen variations with two egg yolks added, but I would caution against this, due to the risk of salmonella with raw eggs. For very easy mixing, you can use a blender at low speed, but I also like a bowl with a wire whisk."

I'm not sure we have the karo syrup in the uk? But I did google it and it says glucose or golden syrup are good alternatives. Would you agree? I have both of these at home :)

susi794

Staff member
Yes, that will be fine. I like to add it, because it helps give the blood sugar a boost....and the electrolytes benefit from the pedialyte if you have it. But I never use the raw eggs. All of my cats have just gobbled glop when I make it for someone who needs supplementing. I have to fight the other cats off so the sick one can get some. I do like to add the meat baby food like Ziggystardust told you--nothing but meat and gravy.
Good luck and I hope he fattens up for you. Is he all better now?

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, that will be fine. I like to add it, because it helps give the blood sugar a boost....and the electrolytes benefit from the pedialyte if you have it. But I never use the raw eggs. All of my cats have just gobbled glop when I make it for someone who needs supplementing. I have to fight the other cats off so the sick one can get some. I do like to add the meat baby food like Ziggystardust told you--nothing but meat and gravy.
Good luck and I hope he fattens up for you. Is he all better now?

He feels much better but his eye still isn't perfect but we are continuing with the drops. He is just unbelievably skinny - I just hope it's not something serious. We just finished the antibiotics yesterday so time will tell. I'm just feeling really guilty as we go on holiday tomorrow....... My friend is staying here and the vet knows we are away so any problems she can go straight there with my babies. I like the new vet much more :) we finally got a urine sample off of Brian - it has to be sent away - I'm hoping the results will be back in when we get back. If anything shows up we go to do blood tests. She didn't want to take blood off of him unless he wasn't improving. She said 2mls doesn't sound a lot but he is very small so would be quite traumatic for him :(

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I really pray he will put on weight, bless his heart.
It's so sad to see him this way. But, he has to be a strong little guy
to survive. So that's a blessing. Best Wishes.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Be sure the baby food doesn't have garlic or onion in it. Stick with the ones that say "and gravy" like beef and gravy, chicken and gravy, turkey and gravy as [MENTION=4127]PrimateLove[/MENTION] said. The glop [MENTION=276]susi794[/MENTION] posted is also a great choice.

Yikes! :Surprise: Now that I had to go pull out the jar of baby food I keep on hand (Ash's mouth is really bothering him), I see that it's actually "Chicken and Chicken Broth", so you want to look for the broth ones. If you've already gotten gravy ones, check the labels to make sure there's no onion or garlic. (If there is and you've already fed him some, don't panic, he probably hasn't had enough to hurt him, you just don't want to continue to feed it to him.) Sorry!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I sure hope the baby food & glop do the trick! Poor little guy... Fingers crossed you come home to a healthy, beefy kitten.

susi794

Staff member
Love makes miracles.....it did with my little Candy Cane. I believe it can with Brian too. Am praying for him.
Much love,
Susi

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Have you tried Fancy Feast? In the feline chronic kidney disease community it's known as "kitten crack"!

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg. Knox gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)

INSTRUCTIONS:

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Wow, I've never heard of this. Thanx for the info, Susi:ThumbsUp:

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope little Brian is doing better. Poor guy. At least his eye is looking good. (I know you're on holiday now) but do you leave the kitten food out all day long for them to eat as an when they want?

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi guys so sorry it's such an old post but I was wondering if you could tell me what you used as counter part ingredients for the glop in the UK? My life has suspected fip (preying it's not so) but I really need to fatten him up some, he's soooo tiny now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 436

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amy31 , In addition to asking your vet tomorrow for a kitty glop recipe, ask about jar baby food meat to feed Lucifer and if it would be okay for a unflavored clear pediatlyte ?

Sending lair vibes and prayers to Lucifer
And big (((hugs))

Tausmom

Lairian
Have you tried Fancy Feast? In the feline chronic kidney disease community it's known as "kitten crack"!

I saw this and wanted to thank you. I bought a box of tiny cans of Fancy Feast because I needed something to hide his pumpkin in. Worked like a charm - he licked the bowl clean and his little post-gorge pot belly made me deliriously happy.

Back