Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fave Holiday Dish

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So... per Ilovemysphynx's thanksgiving day post... got me thinking...

What's your fave holiday dish? Does your family make something that maybe other wouldn't know of.. or that's a little odd but you LOVE (and we all must try).

Here's mine:

My sister in law made this sweet potato casserole last year. i'm not sure HOW to make it.. but i will definitely find out!! :)

As for a real recipe. My in-law's have this cheesey potatoe recipe that is the most awesome thing EVER!!
for a big batch (about 2 glass dishes)..
2 bags cubed hashbrows the frozen ones.
2 cans cream of chicken,
1 16oz of sour cream
Bag of frozen corn,
bag of shredded cheese.
Bake in ...the oven on 425 till cooked (about an hour-ish)

forgot to say- basically just throw it all in either one BIG pan or 2 glass pans mixed all together.

Last edited:

holly_savage

Banned
My best friends mom is German and she makes this all meat stuffing. It is the best stuffing I have ever had!
I don't the recipe, as it is a family secret, but I have looked up German stuffing online and there are many recipes.
Mmmmm, now I want stuffing! I'll have to wait for Xmas I guess, as our Thanksgiving is already passed.
On a related note, I am going to try my hand at making cabbage rolls this weekend. It'll be a first attempt for me, wish me luck!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My favorite is a special baked macaroni & cheese. My gramma got the recipe as a young bride from an old Italian neighbor lady. Uses about a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs and 4 lbs of Land O Lakes American cheese (must be L.O'L., can't substitute another brand). And a two pound box of the macaroni, I forget exactly what kind, would need to look at the recipe. It makes a monstrous big batch of the creamiest, gooiest mac&cheese ever. Tastes great hot or cold too. A holiday isn't a real holiday in my family without this stuff.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great idea!:ThumbsUp: If you have a favorite please share the recipe this way we can all share. I would love to hear everyones favorite!!!!

Inferno12

Banned
My favorite is a Neiman Marcus cake that my aunt used to make every Christmas. Its is so rich that you cant eat a huge piece but its soooooo delicious. My aunt passed away almost 2 years ago and we found the recipe so now we can make it ourselves!

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese
4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 13x9 inch baking pan.
Combine the yellow cake mix, 2 of the eggs, and the butter or margarine mix well. The batter should be stiff. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 eggs. Mix well and pour over the top of the cake batter.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's a spicy cranberry sauce:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 12-ounce package, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-3 jalapeños chopped (to taste)

to taste:eek:range zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice

DIRECTIONS:

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; add cranberries,orange zestm cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, return to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 8 minutes stirring occasionally, add jalapeños, cook additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving time.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are some yummy recipes here. The Macaroni dish sounds rich-a-licious. A Neiman Marcus cake - fantabulous. And those Cheesy Potatoes would be great for any meal. I was lucky growing up in my family. We had wild turkey. These turkey would eat pecans out of the pecan bottom and they tasted great. The cornbread stuffing my grandmother made was the best ever. Always fresh whipped cream and made-from-scratch egg nog with the nog.:BigSmile:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My favorite is a special baked macaroni & cheese. My gramma got the recipe as a young bride from an old Italian neighbor lady. Uses about a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs and 4 lbs of Land O Lakes American cheese (must be L.O'L., can't substitute another brand). And a two pound box of the macaroni, I forget exactly what kind, would need to look at the recipe. It makes a monstrous big batch of the creamiest, gooiest mac&cheese ever. Tastes great hot or cold too. A holiday isn't a real holiday in my family without this stuff.

How do you cook this? oven on ...... for how long?
This sounds soo yummy! i was just looking for a homemade mac and cheese recipe yesterday!

and Dawn- i am DEFINITELY making that cake!! the "topping" is the 2nd mixture of eggs and such? do you put icing on it?

susi794

Staff member
Mmmmmm....I want to make that mac and cheese and will also try the cake. Here's my favorite holiday goody--we eat it for Christmas breakfast every year.

Fried 'Bread Gobs
Oil the top of a frozen loaf of bread dough--leave it on top of the stove and let it rise overnight.
In the morning, fill a frying pan with oil about half full--turn the heat on high and then when the oil gets hot, turn it down a bit , then pull off chunks of the dough, stretch it out so it's pretty thin and poke a hole through it with your finger--put it in the hot oil. Brown on both sides and leave it in long enough so it isn't doughy in the middle. Pull out the fried gobs and drain on paper towels. Put butter and/or any kind of jam , honey or fruit butter you want on it. You can also put cream cheese and jam or lemon curd on them. They are DIVINE and taste like a fresh, hot sweet roll. That and a glass of milk or cup of coffee--man! It's like HEAVEN. They are so easy and I'd eat them every day if I could get away with it.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow,,all these dishes are making me HUNGRY!!!

My favorite and one I make EVERY holiday is:

Broccoli and Ramen Noodle Salad
Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
2 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
Directions
1.In a large salad bowl, combine the slaw, broken noodles and green onions.
2.Whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar and ramen seasoning packets. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate overnight; top with peanuts and sunflower seeds before serving.

Another hobbie of mine is cooking so also every holiday I make a brand new dish of something. Still deciding but might go with the dish Susie talked about on the other post.

Back