Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feral Chronicles: TNR and Feeding Station

Sheldon13

Staff member
I managed to drag him into a cage using some rope and a stick. He was none too happy. He does NOT appreciate being sat next to and talked to. He growls the whole time, and if I get any part of me within 2 feet of the cage he hisses and swipes-claws way out.

I don’t think it would be possible to tame him even a little. He’s so distraught there in the garage. He has not eaten or drank since I caught him Sunday morning. Wednesday when I take him in I am going to ask to pay extra for some subq fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh thank God my cate bite gloves came in early!

Got bit pretty severely. If I didn’t have those gloves on I would be in the emergency room tonight. Instead, I will have a lovely bruise but the bite didn’t break skin. I highly recommend getting bite resistant gloves for working with ferals.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Ok I dropped orange boy off! He’s getting the snip snip, which the clinic has a feral neuter program for so it’s FREE! BUT, I purchased a post op pain injection for him and all his shots. So I came away from this spending 30$. Not bad!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor orange boy. I hope it improves his life though. Kudos to you for trying to ease his pain and getting his shots.

A few years ago a huge black feral Tom cat used to visit our garden. We caught him with a trap borrowed from the local cat rescue and took him to be neutered. We told the vet that he'd have a forever home with us and when I called later that day to check up on him was told he'd been put to sleep as he had FIV. I was absolutely devastated that I'd basically taken him to his death and so angry because we would have still kept him.

On another occasion I had a phone call from my dad's neighbour saying that a kitten had been in dad's garden for days and although they wanted to help it they couldn't take it in because their dogs were not cat friendly (dad had had a massive stroke so couldn't do anything about it). I picked her up and took her home. She was so thin all of her bones were sticking out and we named her Bones. I took her to the vet the following day and found out that she wasn't a kitten but a very elderly lady with thyroid problems which was why she was so skinny. We gave her lots of love, food and the meds she needed and she soon settled in with our other cats. Sadly, after she'd been with us for a couple of months she had a neurological episode and had to be put to sleep but I'm glad we were able to fill her last few weeks on this earth with warmth and love.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Poor orange boy. I hope it improves his life though. Kudos to you for trying to ease his pain and getting his shots.

A few years ago a huge black feral Tom cat used to visit our garden. We caught him with a trap borrowed from the local cat rescue and took him to be neutered. We told the vet that he'd have a forever home with us and when I called later that day to check up on him was told he'd been put to sleep as he had FIV. I was absolutely devastated that I'd basically taken him to his death and so angry because we would have still kept him.

On another occasion I had a phone call from my dad's neighbour saying that a kitten had been in dad's garden for days and although they wanted to help it they couldn't take it in because their dogs were not cat friendly (dad had had a massive stroke so couldn't do anything about it). I picked her up and took her home. She was so thin all of her bones were sticking out and we named her Bones. I took her to the vet the following day and found out that she wasn't a kitten but a very elderly lady with thyroid problems which was why she was so skinny. We gave her lots of love, food and the meds she needed and she soon settled in with our other cats. Sadly, after she'd been with us for a couple of months she had a neurological episode and had to be put to sleep but I'm glad we were able to fill her last few weeks on this earth with warmth and love.

I can’t believe they put that cat to sleep without even asking you!! I mean, is that even legal? I think you’re required to sign something that explains that as a possibility. Also, how unkind of them not to at least call you and notify you what they had done.

I love elderly animals. They are my favorite because all they want in the world is love.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Just got a call from the vet and they said he did great and I can pick him up at 1:30

Sheldon13

Staff member
He’s back! Just wanted to post a video showing his aggressiveness. Know that I am not antagonizing him in any way. The camera is about 6 inches from the trap.

It actually makes me so sad to think this guy will never have a human to give him affection and comfort. I just feel like all cats are so precious, so it kinda hurts when they don’t want my love.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, so admire your tenacity and compassion! Orange boy looks like he could never be tamed, he's so ferocious. But now there won't be any little orange boys or girls having to fend for themselves out there at least, thanks to you!

How long until you can release him?

To me it sounds pretty cool with possums and raccoons, but I think if I had a few of them wreaking havoc in my garden, the novelty would soon wear off. Have you managed to keep them away?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Wow, so admire your tenacity and compassion! Orange boy looks like he could never be tamed, he's so ferocious. But now there won't be any little orange boys or girls having to fend for themselves out there at least, thanks to you!

How long until you can release him?

To me it sounds pretty cool with possums and raccoons, but I think if I had a few of them wreaking havoc in my garden, the novelty would soon wear off. Have you managed to keep them away?

I can release him in 2 days. I put him in a large dog crate in the meantime so he has a bed, heating pad, litter box and food and water. Also much more room. I didn’t want him staying in that tiny trap the whole time.

The raccoon comes by every now and then to see if the food is really gone lol. The opossum still gets to eat once usually before I pick it up. She’ll usually come by around 10. I don’t mind the possum staying, they are not aggressive. I really don’t want the raccoon around though. I caught one getting in a fight with the cats recently near my garage even though no food was down.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 bless your heart for giving orange boy so much loooove n care... you can try covering the crate on 3 sides with a blanket.. it helps calm them.. you are amazing with a huge heart...
you may be surprised in time once he is out and warm up to you...

it happened with my Raven... she is never cuddly but she let's me pet her and even brush her... I bought flea topical I put on her .. she is mad at me for a few hours then comes back for lovin... last night it was cold here in florida.. I put out her blanket on the the bench and she was snoozing away all comfy n warm

thank you for giving Orange Boy the best of love and care he has ever known

hugs n head smooches!

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Sheldon13 checking in on orange boy :)
and of course hugs n head smoooches to you and sweet Ellie

Hi! Yes I actually saw him 2 days ago and he’s great! I was so worried he would be afraid to come back in the garage for kibble but he did! He did! I’m so glad they tipped his ear too cuz now I can know for sure it’s him.

I hope he has a good life

Sheldon13

Staff member
So, I see what I believe to be Jasmine’s daughter come to eat with her just a couple of times per week. I have the trap set out but so far she hasn’t taken the bait (though I did catch her mom again-pretty sure she went in on purpose because she wasn’t even upset when I found her, just chirped at me and wanted pets). I’m concerned that she might be pregnant. I can only base this on the fact that I see her looking “fluffier” each time she visits. It could very well be weight gain for Winter, but it makes me wonder. Any tips for a better way to catch her? I really don’t want to have to deal with kittens...

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 ,do you have a little disguise towel on the bottom of the trap with the food set? perhaps she would go take a peek and get in there!

when I caught Raven, she was not really feral just got on a furniture delivery truck from miles away ..then jumped out when they delivered furniture to my neighbors. I tracked down the owner who refused to come get her 30 miles away.

**Please Keep in mind handling an unknown kitty with unknown vaccination history is very risky so err on the side of caution if this has crossed your mind.

For Raven , I set up the hard travel crate upright door open, scruffed her and placed her gently down in the crate.

my best advice is to try the towel in the bottom of the trap with the food.

your local shelter or TNR community may have some tips!

following for updates ((((Hugs))))

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Sheldon13 ,do you have a little disguise towel on the bottom of the trap with the food set? perhaps she would go take a peek and get in there!

when I caught Raven, she was not really feral just got on a furniture delivery truck from miles away ..then jumped out when they delivered furniture to my neighbors. I tracked down the owner who refused to come get her 30 miles away.

**Please Keep in mind handling an unknown kitty with unknown vaccination history is very risky so err on the side of caution if this has crossed your mind.

For Raven , I set up the hard travel crate upright door open, scruffed her and placed her gently down in the crate.

my best advice is to try the towel in the bottom of the trap with the food.

your local shelter or TNR community may have some tips!

following for updates ((((Hugs))))

Yeah, I’ve got a towel there already.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I caught Jasmine’s daughter! Mackerels didn’t work for 2 days but I put in sardines just a few hours ago so that seems to have worked. She seems feral as well, but not as bad as orange boy was. She growled and hissed at me but never swiped so she could just be scared. We’ll find our tomorrow I guess. I’m taking her in the morning to get spayed. Wish her luck!

Back