Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feeding Raw and need more food suggestions with Raw

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello everyone,
I have not been here a while and have some questions if any of you feed Raw.
I do feed raw but my one girl is getting pretty old, she is probably around 16 years of age, might older or younger we dont know she was a rescue.
Lately she has been getting so bad and wants to eat all the food, our food included and we have to lock her up ! She is always hungry and eats a LOT !! We both feel she needs to gain some weight, we think she has lost some. or maybe she is using all the protein and just needs more fatty food.

What do any of you feed else while feeding raw ? I would like to continue raw in the morning and 8 hours later maybe a can food or freeze dried ?? Anyone have any suggestions ??

thanks ,
Assi , Rooka and Hairy

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think offering fattier stuff would be good, like duck or lamb or even an occasional tin or salmon or sardines.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh boy, it sounds exactly like hyperthyroid to me. This is a common disease in older cats so she fits the profile. The good news is if that's what it is, it's treatable with medication. The medication makes up for what the thyroid should be doing and then she won't be hungry and most importantly won't be losing weight.

Your vet can test the thyroid by running a T4 test which is a simple blood test. When my cat was tested, I went ahead and had them do a CBC (complete blood count) also. Like @Yoda mom was saying, if she hasn't had bloodwork in a while it's a good idea.

Now "if" it turns out to not be hyperthyroid then more food would be in order, but from what I'm reading I would definitely check her thyroid and go from there.

My goodness - 16 and going strong - gotta love it!!!

Back