Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feeling guilty...

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bluto's eyes have been very watery since Wednesday this week. I upped the Lysine & opted to watch it instead of rushing to the vet. Yesterday I noticed Mr Blackwell's eyes were also tearing up alot. They both started to act lethargic last night & had eye crusties this morning-so it was off to the vet. :Dizzy:

The first question the vet asks me is if the were around any strange cats, I said "no, they have been home all week" and then POW - I realized that I had gone to the Humane Society on Tuesday. The vet said I most likely brought home a virus from there...:Cry:

I feel guilty now because I have made the boys sick! I am not working right now (just moved for my husbands job & now I can't find one here) so I went to the HS just to get out of the house and meet people by volenteering. I guess I'll need to find a new place to go next week...

PS - I did wash my hands about 15 times while I was there & as soon as I got home I changed & showered before handling my own kitties...thought I was safe

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope they feel better do not blame yourself.
Cleo got sick from a cat show and then my other cats got it and i clean everyting.
I was going to help at the pound here but I was advised not to because the germs.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know some Viruses for Horses can so i don't know why not for the cats too.

We have property about 30 mins from Bowling Green, Wish we were headed there instead of Cal.

If you're ever out this way to check your property let me know!! I'd love to meet another sphynx buff:Laugh:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sure it will be afew years. We are moving from Fla to Cal next week. The only reason we'll be back that we can think of right now is to pick up my horses. Then it will be a flying trip here and back.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow - so sorry to hear about the kitties getting sick. I hope they get well soon. I'm actually glad I saw this tho, I'm currently without work as well and was going to start volunteering at my local HS this week as well. I never thought about bringing something home. Guess I'll find some other volunteer work to do to keep me busy.

Brooke

Banned
Bluto's eyes have been very watery since Wednesday this week. I upped the Lysine & opted to watch it instead of rushing to the vet. Yesterday I noticed Mr Blackwell's eyes were also tearing up alot. They both started to act lethargic last night & had eye crusties this morning-so it was off to the vet. :Dizzy:

The first question the vet asks me is if the were around any strange cats, I said "no, they have been home all week" and then POW - I realized that I had gone to the Humane Society on Tuesday. The vet said I most likely brought home a virus from there...:Cry:

I feel guilty now because I have made the boys sick! I am not working right now (just moved for my husbands job & now I can't find one here) so I went to the HS just to get out of the house and meet people by volenteering. I guess I'll need to find a new place to go next week...

PS - I did wash my hands about 15 times while I was there & as soon as I got home I changed & showered before handling my own kitties...thought I was safe

I find it hard to believe...I worked as a vet assistant for 4 years and had 4 cats and 3 dogs at home. I never brought anything home to them, and I was in direct contact every single day with sick animals, and their blood, urine, feces, etc...

I took extra precautions if I'd been around any scabies or parvo or anything especially contagious. I would enter through the back door and leave my shoes outside and scrubs would go straight into the washing machine. It sounds like you took similar precautions in this case.

At any rate, I don't think you should feel guilty. You were doing a selfless thing, volunteering. I hope your kids are feeling better soon!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I find it hard to believe...I worked as a vet assistant for 4 years and had 4 cats and 3 dogs at home. I never brought anything home to them, and I was in direct contact every single day with sick animals, and their blood, urine, feces, etc...

I took extra precautions if I'd been around any scabies or parvo or anything especially contagious. I would enter through the back door and leave my shoes outside and scrubs would go straight into the washing machine. It sounds like you took similar precautions in this case.

At any rate, I don't think you should feel guilty. You were doing a selfless thing, volunteering. I hope your kids are feeling better soon!

Brooke- thanks for the info..I actually had that thought thIs morning that surely some vets or techs have sensitive animals. It is just a strange chain of events & I can't help but feel bad when those teary eyes look up at me from the blanket nest:Sick:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: Feeling guilty...Update on our virus

So the sphynx boys have stopped sneezing, but they still have the teary eyes. My furry kitty is worrying me, though. He is sneezing and has snot bubbles coming out of his nose. His eyes are very watery & he is hardly eating. :Sick:

I called the vet today & he said as Long as the discharge from eyes & nose are clear that I should continue with the extra Lysine and Tobramycin for the eyes.

I just moved & don't know this vet too well. I am wondering if I should get a second opinion. My furry cat has never been sick & It is so hard to watch him try to breathe through all the nasal discharge. :Cry:

susi794

Staff member
Re: Feeling guilty...Update on our virus

I'd go right for the doxycycline--don't mess around like I did. That's the stuff the breeder recommended and that's the stuff they gave me at the university vet hospital. My regular vet tried 5 other kinds before this--none worked for long. This seems to be killing it.

Back