Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feline infection peritonitis awareness

My sphynx cat sadly passed away yesterday he died from F.I.P
please be aware of the signs as we have been though a difficult week trying to figure what it is at an expensive cost and a loss of a precious baby.

On monday Halo was being sick a lot, although he seemed ok in himself

On tuesday he seemed to be getting more poorly and was still being sick a lot and crying before he was sick ,we new there was something wrong as his sick was mainly water and lots of it . Halo was drinking a lot of water after he was sick which indicated to us that he was doing this to make himself sick , we initially though that he may have something stuck in his system.

On wednesday we took him to the vets first thing they said he is very dehydrated, they gave him 3 injections and gave us isotope mixture to add to his water to help rehydrate him and serum to stop the sickness. Halo didn't touch the water or food , we was giving him small doses of water in a syringe which he was refusing,Later on the night he couldn't hardly walk. The only way to describe it was he's legs and body had cramped up. And trying to walk without bending at his joints. He wanted to be alone and looked straight threw us and seamed like he couldn't even hear us. He seamed to settle and got in his bed but his body was twitching. We believed this to be due to fact he hadn't been moving around a lot. so we planned to take him first thing in the morning as we spoken to on an on call vet ,he got in bed with us that night, which made us feel like he was getting a little better.

On thursday morning we took him to the vets. They informed us that it was very serious and said he's badly dehydrated she pulled his skin up on his neck and it stayed there. She put him on drip and we left him there all day. We then took him to the night time vets were they did tests on him.We was deeply upset as we thought he would not make the night.

On friday morning we went to the vets to pick him up to take him back to the day vets , the vet said his calcium levels are very low and kept dropping even though she was administarting more calcium. His kidneys were inflamed and the vets said he possibly had kidney damage. Although he really perked up and was alert and walking. This gave us hope. We took him straight to the day vets were they also seemed impressed with his improovemnt but told us he still wasn't out the woods yet as more tests are needed. At this stage the vet informed us that this could either an infection stomach or urinal which he could possibly becoming home later that day as he was already on antibiotics, or worse case he has F.I.P, which he wouldn't make the day. We gave him a cuddle and he was puring.We was hopeful for our baby boy

Sadly we had a phone call at 4.30 that day saying that he has taken a turn for the worse, he has collapsed and coughed up blood, we have put him on oxygen and wait for you to get here. We got down and he was lying peacefully gave him a kiss good bye as he got put to sleep . He already looked like he was. The vet said it had spread to his lungs and his eyes are dilated and the vet now knows it is F.I.P

Me and my partner are heartbroken he was only 1 years old, he brought such happiness to us, the most amazing personality . my house is now empty with out his playful soul. He had the most beautiful face and personality.
we paid for the best treatment and cost us a lot of money. They die with in 4 days of this disease it is infectious and can be passed onto other cats. The vet said its hard to diagnose till its aggressive which is time of death.
All cats carry this desease but cats with poor immune systems are unable to fight agest it , and as there is not cure this leads to certain death.
It is very common in sphynx cats ,as theres a lot of in breeding which causes poor genetics hence poor amune systems, the vet said she has seen 3 and 3 have died of this, our halo being one of these

This has been a very heartbreaking week for us and i wouldn't want anyone to go threw what we have had to.
I would like all breeders to be aware of in breeding as these are amazing cats with so much love to give. Also to be careful when buying your cat and look out for breeders who inbreed as our vet stressed this is very dangerous. As whilst breeding two get a good looks , this is compromising a cats internal workings.

Thank you , we wish you all the best

Attachments

• DSCF0754.JPG
    DSCF0754.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 75

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry. We had several members lose babies in the last year to this horrible disease. It is devastating. I am glad you turned to The Lair for support and to share your story. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of members who have been through this reach out so you do not feel alone. Halo was precious and will be in your hearts forever. Keep the best memories closest to you, not the sad ones.

Patti

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so so sorry for your loss of halo :( I also lost a precious baby (a British blue kitten aged 1yr) to FIP. It was so traumatic for our entire family and I still haven't come to terms with losing Nala. In fact it was nala's special nature that made me research a breed that was as needy as I was! That search led me to the Sphynx breed.
I pray you all find some peace someday. Thoughts are with you all

Thank you everyone.means so much
As we all know there such a big part of your life as they are so demanding , and so cleaver , never left our side in the shower he was sat on the sink,we watched tv he was sat on top of the tv, when he has his crazy playfulness at night time running around . just makes it harder.
I would like to think i could get another one day and no he wouldn't suffer from this illness. Nothing would replace him but this empty gap is really sad . :(
All your Sphynx are lovely and i hope you the best xx

Attachments

• DSCF0750.JPG
    DSCF0750.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0757.JPG
    DSCF0757.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 59

susi794

Staff member
I, too, am horribly sorry for your loss. Halo is no longer in pain, can run and breathe freely now. I believe you will see each other again someday, when he will meet you at Heaven's gate--purring and doing figure eights around your legs to welcome you home. Until that day, he will be with you still...in your heart and sweet memories. And don't be surprised if Halo sends you or draws you to another kitty that needs your special kind of love. Kitty parents like you so obviously are, are way too rare to waste....please honor Halo's memory by giving that love to another little soul that needs it so much. I can think of no better homage to the love you shared with Halo. He knew he was loved, and love is everything.
I know your heart is hurting. I know the huge hole he left in it. I care and wish I could make it somehow better, but I am powerless to do so.
Much love,
Susi

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How can u avoid this illness ?
what if some one hasn't inbreed any there cats can they still be effected as its been happening for many years ?
I don't think this illness can be avoided :( I know that you have to thoroughly clean the entire house before bringing another cat in. The vet recommended we wait 6 months before bringing any new kittens home. I already had 3 other cats (furry) so was naturally worried about them catching it. The vet said that because they were all older than 4 their immune systems would be stronger so should be ok. They have all been fine- even when 2 of my Sphynx got really sick (and one died :( ) they never got affected. I think if you have no other cats then an older Sphynx would be your safest bet

susi794

Staff member
FIP is simply a mutation of the corona virus present in cats. To my knowledge, they don't know what causes the mutation. So, I don't think there is an answer to your question about how to avoid it.

I don't think this illness can be avoided :( I know that you have to thoroughly clean the entire house before bringing another cat in. The vet recommended we wait 6 months before bringing any new kittens home. I already had 3 other cats (furry) so was naturally worried about them catching it. The vet said that because they were all older than 4 their immune systems would be stronger so should be ok. They have all been fine- even when 2 of my Sphynx got really sick (and one died :( ) they never got affected. I think if you have no other cats then an older Sphynx would be your safest bet

sorry for your loss.
wouldn't be the same getting a old one . :(
wish there was a law to stop inbreeders as all we want to do is love this pet and there causing heartacks

I, too, am horribly sorry for your loss. Halo is no longer in pain, can run and breathe freely now. I believe you will see each other again someday, when he will meet you at Heaven's gate--purring and doing figure eights around your legs to welcome you home. Until that day, he will be with you still...in your heart and sweet memories. And don't be surprised if Halo sends you or draws you to another kitty that needs your special kind of love. Kitty parents like you so obviously are, are way too rare to waste....please honor Halo's memory by giving that love to another little soul that needs it so much. I can think of no better homage to the love you shared with Halo. He knew he was loved, and love is everything.
I know your heart is hurting. I know the huge hole he left in it. I care and wish I could make it somehow better, but I am powerless to do so.
Much love,
Susi

Thank you susi means a lot

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My heart goes out to you. Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. Halo will live in your heart forever. I wish there were more breeders, who care about the breed itself and not the money they can make from them.

Thank you I agree when we was there she was trying to sell us another kitten which had same dad as halo saying its good . As we paid for breeders rights

CourtneyKaz

Lairian
im so sorry for your lost i feel your pain we went through it in early october such a heart breaking sudden thing to go through :(, we had found out one day and lost our baby in a matter of 2 days of finding out .luckily our breeder was amazing about it , i hope all goes well for you if you need anything let us know !

how many spyhnx cats have F.I.P i looked on the internet and could only tell me 1 /5000 cats have it , but how many spynx .
Missing my bby millions miss everything his warm skin, he's racing me up the stairs, him playing peek a boo and charging at me x

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So sorry to hear of your loss. My Oliver tests positive for coronavirus and I pray that it will never mutate to FIP, such a sad thing to happen. I hope you will be able to share your love one day with a healthy kitten. I know your little Halo with always be in your heart.

Back