Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Female kitten weight?

Sekhmet

Lairian
Hi, my kitten Sekhmet is a female Canadian Sphynx and she is about 20weeks old, like 4 and half months?
She was 1.35kg on 24th of December.
And She is 2.1kg now.
I don’t think she looks fat anyway and I feed her as much as she wants.
I feed her Applaws dry food and can food.
Sometimes boiled chicken.
Just wondering if other kittens weight similar like Sekhmet.
Apparently, the female adult cat’s average weight is 3-4kg but Sekhmet is quiet big then? Because she is already 2.1kg.
But her mum and dad wasn’t small cats.

Please let me know!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hmm. I might be behind the times here, but when Applaws brand first came out I remember reading on their product that the food was just a supplement and should not be used as the sole diet because a lot of the micronutrients were missing or not balanced. Now to be fair, that was a few years ago so things may have changed as I know they have expanded their line since then. Just something for you to check into though.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sekhmet

Lairian

Attachments

• 6DC38FFD-0C56-4740-970A-68E8E9FB73B5.jpeg
    6DC38FFD-0C56-4740-970A-68E8E9FB73B5.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
  • AF842808-6DB5-4186-84C0-AB7B44559847.jpeg
    AF842808-6DB5-4186-84C0-AB7B44559847.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 17
  • E6247E8C-A4D4-4AC3-B280-DF3204D02823.jpeg
    E6247E8C-A4D4-4AC3-B280-DF3204D02823.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmm. I might be behind the times here, but when Applaws brand first came out I remember reading on their product that the food was just a supplement and should not be used as the sole diet because a lot of the micronutrients were missing or not balanced. Now to be fair, that was a few years ago so things may have changed as I know they have expanded their line since then. Just something for you to check into though.
This is what I remember too about Applaws. I only heard about the can food though.....could it be the dry food is OK? I would definitely read all the labels and make sure she's getting a balanced diet. Anyway she's a cutie.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sekhmet years ago when I looked at canned Applaws I was told as @Sheldon13 and @Condo commando that it was a supplmental only.
I am not familiar with the kibble.. you can call the company to ask if the kibble is complete nutrition .. it may note it on the bag?
I was told it was a good brand , I just never knew Applaws had kibble :) thanks for sharing

I tend to feed what works... if you confirm the Applaws kibble contains all the proper nutrients and supplement with the applaws canned food and it is working for skin and poo, I tend not to change if all going agreeing with tummies skin and bums.

@Cinafina , @Staceyxxx and other members in your area can share what they feed with good results too

head smooches to precious Sekhmet :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sekhmet I learn something new everyday here... had no idea Applaws has a USA kibble I just saw that says complete nutritionally balanced for Adult cats. do they have a kitten version?

it was a US version so may be different availability formulas in UK

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sekhmet oh wow, I went to their website for UK and found they have lots of kibble and kitten food :)
is this the kitten food you feed ? :)

Sekhmet looks preciously darling
you can always ask your vet on the visits how her weight is ..
my girl is very petite and as an adult weighs a little over 8 lbs US.

1579530314471.png

Sekhmet

Lairian
@Sekhmet oh wow, I went to their website for UK and found they have lots of kibble and kitten food :)
is this the kitten food you feed ? :)

Sekhmet looks preciously darling
you can always ask your vet on the visits how her weight is ..
my girl is very petite and as an adult weighs a little over 8 lbs US.

View attachment 97377

Yes this is the one I feed her.
Is this not good then?
It is really hard to choose a brand.
I don’t know what to do..... :(
I used to give her Applaws dry and Royal Canin wet food for kitten. My vet said that is good.
To be honest, it’s really hard for me to find out if it’s good enough looking at the ingredients.
I thought it’s better with more protein.
The reason why I choose the Applaws is because of its 80% chicken.
Do you have any recommendations? (need help really)
Thank you!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Sekhmet I think we might be worrying you over nothing; it just depends on exactly what food you are feeding.

For example, here is one that is NOT balanced and consequently you would not want to be the main food.

1579551045219.png

1579551121289.png

This is actually perfectly good food, but since they haven't added calcium, taurine, liver and all that other stuff, it's not "complete" food that can be fed alone.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
But the kibble IS balanced so you don't have to worry.

1579551653391.png

You can also tell by the ingredient label that it's complete and balanced food.

My next door neighbor feeds her dogs a combination of kibble and home made. The home made food is not balanced, but the kibble is and everything works out. So I think what you're doing is fine. We were all remembering the canned Applaws.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi, my kitten Sekhmet is a female Canadian Sphynx and she is about 20weeks old, like 4 and half months?
She was 1.35kg on 24th of December.
And She is 2.1kg now.
I don’t think she looks fat anyway and I feed her as much as she wants.
I feed her Applaws dry food and can food.
Sometimes boiled chicken.
Just wondering if other kittens weight similar like Sekhmet.
Apparently, the female adult cat’s average weight is 3-4kg but Sekhmet is quiet big then? Because she is already 2.1kg.
But her mum and dad wasn’t small cats.
Please let me know!!
So let's try this again! Your kitten sounds healthy to me. Kittens are vacuum cleaners but they are growing so it's OK. Once she gets to 1 year old or is approaching that 4 kg weight then it's a different story. This is why they say we should get them used to scheduled meals as opposed to leaving a bowl of food out for them at all times. To do scheduled meals, which can be when she's a little older, you would need to get a good feel for how much she eats and then divide that into however many meals. If she seems too skinny, add a little bit. Too fat, take a little bit away. It's not an exact science because every cat is different.

Sheldon13

Staff member
If you are a fan of bags that label their percent of animal ingredients (as I am) you might look into Instinct brand. Sounds like Applaws has added some complete nutrition option to their line though so I think you’re good there. A really great resource for diving into the good you are giving and comparing to others is

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sekhmet the applaws kitten food looks good and your vet approves of it with the royal canin thats good ;)
I feed what works.. .
there are soooo many choices out there... I tend to stick with what my vet approves of and if all good and no issues I do not change.
too many changes can cause issues in itself with tummy n poo issues.

thank you @Uksphynxmum for chiming in and sharing that Applaws works just fine with no issues.
helpful to the community

Back