Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Feral Chronicles: TNR and Feeding Station

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have not seen Jester in over 6 months and he came for a visit and dinner tonight!
7eb53a088d78b0e5031be5dc83e8d508.jpg

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh my gosh! I’m still in shock!

So Jester has been here the last 3 nights for wet food after being missing for 6 months and boy is he a pig! So tonight, just as the last 2 nights, he walks up toward me as I’m putting out the food and he is hissing at me. But then tonight he starts eating and turns around with his butt to me. So I take it as a sign of trust and I tentatively start to touch him. He raises his butt up like he’s enjoying it! Why suddenly he wants to be pet? I did it several times while he was eating and he didn’t even run off when he was done. I am floored!

He’s the very first feral adult to let me touch him. And I’ve been working on the others since last Spring and had no luck.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Some of my boys. Laid out some beds with reflective self-warming pads and after ignoring them for a week, when it got cooler...they started using them.

181a5e3cbff79ccf686e3a97dd67dfa0.jpg

So this past weekend my dad and I built a lean-to shelter and I added ceramic heat lamps. Took them about 3 minutes after we left the area to start exploring. Now they live there. It’s cold, they don’t want to leave.

954328dbe0ba6bb73569f2e1c3ce6054.plist
49433d55d2bf3fe1599562a0c84038ef.plist
38d8dcdbd1b96a4ba885dd09a07e516d.plist
e5d299afc33101c016c639c11b955cf7.plist

Sheldon13

Staff member
It’s on my front porch. They were not comfortable staying in the garage. Fortunately this is on the South side of the house so most of the Winter winds are blocked.

I have not seen a possum in many weeks. I think because I have more cats coming around on a nightly basis. Too many predators around. And I don’t leave the food out at night so they have no reason to stop by.

Lukassmile

Lairian
It’s sooo amazing how you have taken care of these cats!!!! Have you seen this documentary called Kedi? It’s about feral cats in Turkey. It’s a beautiful movie and you remind me of the kind souls who have such respect for nature’s creatures. If you haven’t seen it I highlyyyy recomend!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
No I have not seen it but I have heard of it. I will have to check it out. I also follow several feral groups on FB and watch a lot of rescue videos on YouTube.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish there were more people in the world like you. What you do for the homeless kitties is amazing. We don't get any feral cats in my village so every month with one of my supermarket shops I buy cat and dog food and donate it to the animal shelter. It's not much but if everyone did something small it would make a big difference.

Sheldon13

Staff member
It really would. I try to keep the bitterness out of my heart that there is no one else in my neighborhood who bothered to do anything about this before I moved here. That’s why there is a large population in the first place. I think there are problems in most of the town though. I’ve driven through other neighborhoods and seen many cats. One person can’t do all this.

Back