Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fight like sisters?

Saskiasaurus

Lairian
Hi guys :)

My two love each other 90% of the day but they get into really violent fights and are ridiculously loud and afterwards one of them (always Lani) has big scratch marks that bleed a little bit. An hour later I find them snuggled into bed on top of each and everything is fine... Is there anything I should do about this? Or is that them sorting out their own stuff?

Thanks already :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Saskiasaurus , I have 4.. 2 siblings.. they rough house and I set boundaries with a stern ahhhh and redirect to two pole toys. not sure if Vetericyn plus spray (non toxic) is available in your area? my other go to keep on hand is Povidone (that betadine red stuff they use in hospitals). I put a wee tiny couple of drops mixed in water mixed to clear. I wet a wash cloth and gently dab on areas to keep things clean.

mine brothers rough house play and then are thick as thieves snuggling together too

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They have their moments but I always step in. Usually, I have noticed, the problem starts when one cat is lying next to me and another cat wants to join in. Most cats are not good at sharing. Anyway, hissing starts. I always break them up and make room for the newcomer, maybe putting one cat on one side and the other cat on the other side. At the end of it, the cats are comfortable and I'm not but I love them so I put up with it.

Saskiasaurus

Lairian
@Saskiasaurus , I have 4.. 2 siblings.. they rough house and I set boundaries with a stern ahhhh and redirect to two pole toys. not sure if Vetericyn plus spray (non toxic) is available in your area? my other go to keep on hand is Povidone (that betadine red stuff they use in hospitals). I put a wee tiny couple of drops mixed in water mixed to clear. I wet a wash cloth and gently dab on areas to keep things clean.

mine brothers rough house play and then are thick as thieves snuggling together too

I actually ordered it the other day, after seeing you talk about it in another thread :))

Yesterday I redirected by getting out their favourite toy and treating them after playing with it together.. So maybe that's a good way. We'll see..

Saskiasaurus

Lairian
@Saskiasaurus how old are they? My two used to play rough as kittens. Just have to watch they don't cause eye damage accidentally.
They will turn 4 in June.. :D

It's difficult to know exactly where this comes from given I don't know a lot of their previous homelife, except there were a lot of cats.. But I will try and make sure to intervene when it gets bad

Saskiasaurus

Lairian
They have their moments but I always step in. Usually, I have noticed, the problem starts when one cat is lying next to me and another cat wants to join in. Most cats are not good at sharing. Anyway, hissing starts. I always break them up and make room for the newcomer, maybe putting one cat on one side and the other cat on the other side. At the end of it, the cats are comfortable and I'm not but I love them so I put up with it.
It never has anything to do with me - I'll be on my computer and suddenly hear them "shout at each other" by the time I get there it's often already over. From what I can see it's usually that Lani tries to lie on top of Cleo and lick her.. Which Cleo in that moment doesn't want (but 90% of the other times it's fine)..

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If they aren't hurting eachother too much it's normal for them to play rough sometimes you can just use a water spray bottle no chemicals. Fill a squirter bottle up with water if verbal commands, redirection do not work.

Redirection is good.

Verbal "No" "Leave it" "Uh uh" also good.

And of course, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE always praise good behavior. Never underestimate their understanding. They are highly intelligent.

Praise when getting along well, using same words and actions for reinforcement.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It never has anything to do with me - I'll be on my computer and suddenly hear them "shout at each other" by the time I get there it's often already over. From what I can see it's usually that Lani tries to lie on top of Cleo and lick her.. Which Cleo in that moment doesn't want (but 90% of the other times it's fine)..
That happens here too. Basically if it's not done with the intent to run the other cat off, I don't worry about it. I can pretty much tell by the sound and you'll get to know them after you live with them for a while. If I'm ever not sure what's going on, I walk over to where they are and just stare at them for a few seconds; they know who's the Boss of this cat town :D

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando , lol and they know!!! do yours look at you and run away like oh uh, mom caught us ? :)
Not run, but they sober up quick :D

Next thing you see them laying next to each other and WW3 is over. Next time I could name my cats after some of the WW2 leaders - Churchill, Wilson, Stalin and Mussolini - since they like to fight so much. But I don't want to offend anyone and someone might not understand it's just a joke.

Last edited:

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
TLDR all posts but I echo with ensuring u intervene. I use a holistic based cat spray specifically for fighting cats and it seems to work.

Mine only fight over who gets to be with me or when one is taking the other’s spot. I created a much bigger “spot” and the fighting there stopped coz both have enough resources to go around.

There shouldn’t be bleeding. So yeah, this isn’t your normal sibling fight.

Lady isla

Lairian
Hi guys :)

My two love each other 90% of the day but they get into really violent fights and are ridiculously loud and afterwards one of them (always Lani) has big scratch marks that bleed a little bit. An hour later I find them snuggled into bed on top of each and everything is fine... Is there anything I should do about this? Or is that them sorting out their own stuff?

Thanks already :)
I would clean the bloody marks with Peroxide mixed with water. My Wensdae leaves vampire bite marks on Khal Drogo neck, she hasn’t broken the skin yet, but has left a couple good scratches IV cleaned with diluted peroxide... good luck. Have you tried squirting them when they are fighting, it doesnt hurt them, but shocks them into stopping their fight...

Back