Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Finally found the one! Any tips for prepping the lair?

ltheresa

Lairian
I'm so flipping excited! I found a sweet female kitten from a local family breeder and am meeting her Friday. Any tips to welcoming home a new Kitten would be much appreciated!
I'll keep you updated and definitely post pics when shes home!{=

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Definitely follow your contract. I always scheduled a vet wellness check either the day we got them or the day after. Also if you can afford insurance, start from the beginning. Can’t wait to see that smile on your face with your baby on Selfie Saturdays in here.

Yoda mom

Staff member
so excited for you ! that was super fast the sphynx stars aligned :) great advice given , also Kitty proof for life! they are like monkey baby dog cat all in one! even need to kitty proof string toys, put away , hide hair bands , etc... the sphynxlair help center is great for sphynx life! recommend staying with same food/brand litter too to make an easy transition. you can adjust later on.
looking forward to Friday updates and pics!

retail therapy for supplies, :) we can help

ltheresa

Lairian
Thank you for all the advice, its been incredibly helpful. I think it was really pure luck that a local cattery had one sweet girl available in my area. I feel like a new mother having to get her nest ready for her newborn lol. Can't wait! I think I'm going to name her Lilith

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I love her name, Lilith! When I brought my girl home I had my spare bedroom set up with bed, food, water, kitty litter. I opened the crate in that room and just sat back and let her explore and waited for her to come to me. I let her get used to her room, the smells of the house and then let her expand her exploration to the rest of the house. I moved her kitty litter three times in two weeks until I got it in the final spot. She didn’t have a single accident. :)

Letitia

Lairian
Definitely follow you or contract. I always scheduled a vet wellness check either the day we got them or the day after. Also if you can afford insurance, start from the beginning. Can’t wait to see that smile on your face with your baby on Selfie Saturdays in here.
I second the insurance!

ltheresa

Lairian
I love her name, Lilith! When I brought my girl home I had my spare bedroom set up with bed, food, water, kitty litter. I opened the crate in that room and just sat back and let her explore and waited for her to come to me. I let her get used to her room, the smells of the house and then let her expand her exploration to the rest of the house. I moved her kitty litter three times in two weeks until I got it in the final spot. She didn’t have a single accident. :)
Hi thank you for the tips. I'll definitely try that out! I'm between Lilith and Proserpina. I think it will come to me when I meet her. I'm hoping that the transition will be as smooth as possible for her.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations. "Expecting" is such an exciting time. It'll be fun to shop for toys, blankets, cattree and so on.

CathyO

Lairian
With planned positive experience, get her used to groom/bath, vacuum/loud noises, wet or raw food, and socialization while she’s still a kitten.

If u have any unders make sure they are stuffed with crumpled newspaper.

Pick a solid/stable pet carrier that she can grow into...with small viewing holes as cats like to be able to remain hidden. Leave this “tunnel” carrier as part of her play area so when u go to the vet she would love to go in her carrier :)

ltheresa

Lairian
Thank you for all the advice. I was hesitant in posting this because it really depressed me...but, I unfortunately couldn't got through with adopting her. My move from Chicago back to Florida had to be expedited and my family and I are currently in isolation due to Covid-19. I have a autoimmune disease that makes me high risk so my doctors didn't want to risk exposure. That being said, I wasn't able to go out and pick her up and things got so hectic so fast. I wanted my kitten to have my full attention and not get stressed by the huge and sudden transition. My heart is broken but I am hopeful the right yoda will find me in the near future after everything calms down. Again, thank you for all the help. Please stay safe and I will keep you all posted on my sphynx journey.
Thank you❤

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Well, that sucks, but you know that old saying, everything happens for a reason. It’s important for you take any and all precautions to stay healthy. You know you can continue to hang in here with us until you get a baby. We have had several members that have done that.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @ltheresa and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Please enjoy the community! :)