Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

FINALLY

Gizzymom

Banned
Gizzy has finally gotten his blood draw and his blood will be off today to Dr. Meurs!! The new vet is very nice and Gizmo did not hiss at her once. He used to hiss at the old vet... I figured it was because he was the "vet", but maybe Giz knew something I didn't.
The new vet is a woman, which I think Giz prefers... and (no offense to the guys) but so do I... They listen more.

She took the blood from Giz's back leg. She said that many cats who get stressed during blood draws are more comfortable with the leg. And Giz was fine!! He does have a little yeastie's in one of his ears, so we have drops to clear that up.

So... we found a new vet... and Gizzy is still doing his part to fight the evil heart monster!!!:ThumbsUp:

Gizzy checking out his blood:
DSC_0139.jpg

Decided it's not very interesting:
DSC_0140.jpg

"ooooo, wait!! Treats!!"
DSC_0141.jpg

Showing off his HCM t-shirt:
DSC_0142.jpg

Gizzymom

Banned
Awesome :ThumbsUp: Did you find one near home?

Not super close, Anita... But I would rather have to drive a little and have a vet who is familiar with sphynx. She is in Flossmoor. On 198th and Kedzie, so she is about 30-35 minutes from me. Closer that the last "vet". And I love the cat only practice!! it is so nice and peaceful without any dogs barking. I think the atmosphere definitely helped put Giz... and me... at ease.

I questioned her about a variety of things... anesthesia, pain meds, teeth cleaning, the sphynx breed, etc. Although it is sad, I was comforted to hear that she is treating 2 sphynx HCM guys. I am her fourth sphynx "family". She has one family of 6 sphynx kitties, one of 2 sphynx, and 2 of us only child sphynx.:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Not super close, Anita... But I would rather have to drive a little and have a vet who is familiar with sphynx. She is in Flossmoor. On 198th and Kedzie, so she is about 30-35 minutes from me. Closer that the last "vet". And I love the cat only practice!! it is so nice and peaceful without any dogs barking. I think the atmosphere definitely helped put Giz... and me... at ease.

I questioned her about a variety of things... anesthesia, pain meds, teeth cleaning, the sphynx breed, etc. Although it is sad, I was comforted to hear that she is treating 2 sphynx HCM guys. I am her fourth sphynx "family". She has one family of 6 sphynx kitties, one of 2 sphynx, and 2 of us only child sphynx.:ThumbsUp:

The cat only vet experience does sound nice. My vet is known for treating exotic pets tho so I stick with them. They are hot male twins..oh my! lol Atleast all the doggies I've seen there are all very well bahaved. Its always nice to walk in tho and see a monkey or talking bird,,they always crack me up. Jimmy and I are thinking about one day getting a spider monkey (many years from now)! We are glutens for punishment!! :LOL:

Gizzymom

Banned
The cat only vet experience does sound nice. My vet is known for treating exotic pets tho so I stick with them. They are hot male twins..oh my! lol Atleast all the doggies I've seen there are all very well bahaved. Its always nice to walk in tho and see a monkey or talking bird,,they always crack me up. Jimmy and I are thinking about one day getting a spider monkey (many years from now)! We are glutens for punishment!! :LOL:

I had looked into spider monkeys years ago (before Giz and before monkeys were against the law in Illinois). They are VERY expensive to buy and maintain... and I found out that if you do not spend enough time with them, they have been known to throw feces!!:Badly:
Not in MY house!!!! LOL

They are precious, though!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I had looked into spider monkeys years ago (before Giz and before monkeys were against the law in Illinois). They are VERY expensive to buy and maintain... and I found out that if you do not spend enough time with them, they have been known to throw feces!!:Badly:
Not in MY house!!!! LOL

They are precious, though!!

Yea, our landlord has a few that throw feces! lol Its comical but thankfully its his place (the sancturary that he keeps) and I don't have to clean it. He has care takers but they are just people off the street who need money to support their alcohol problems.
This is something that won't work for us until Jimmys son is able to move out! That issue is still up in the air as he is 11 yrs old and still unable to make his own plate or do daily hygeine without being made. It's defintley an interest tho and won't happen without lots of research and financial support. We are defintley too broke in this stage in our lives. We are blessed to have two gorgeous Sphynx girls right now!!

Gizzymom

Banned
Yay Gizzy! We knew you could do it! How did the microchipping go?

LOLOLOLOL.... I was so relieved to get his blood off to Dr. Meurs, I forgot to mention that!! Not a wince! But since I was holding him, he was fine. :Wink:

I haven't felt around for it yet, as I do not know if it is sensitive, but I will tomorrow.:ThumbsUp:

pooner

Banned
Pooner goes to the vet tomorrow for his blood draw. I'm not sure if the vet knows about the study or not but I am going to encourage her to have other sphynx owners send blood. I know she treats other sphynx, even her lab tech has a sphynx.
Hope Pooner doesn't get too angry with me :Frown:

Gizzymom

Banned
Pooner goes to the vet tomorrow for his blood draw. I'm not sure if the vet knows about the study or not but I am going to encourage her to have other sphynx owners send blood. I know she treats other sphynx, even her lab tech has a sphynx.
Hope Pooner doesn't get too angry with me :Frown:

Thanks, Pooner!!! Giz was mad until the treats came out.... then he forgot all about it!!:LOL:

Back