Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Finished my Painting of Dobby tonight

Lisa Dobby

Lairian
Thought you guys might like a peek... Wanted something for the wall in my office. Doesnt look exactly like him but I think I may have captured enough to see some of his personality. LOL

Lisa :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow! Very good job!

I'm doing something similar. Well I'm not, my mother is. My mother is a artist and is going to paint a realistic canvas painting of Snuffie. I'm so excited! I can't wait to get it. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
About a year ago I bought an easel, paints, and brushes. I had a sweet setup. I thought I'd start off with simple two dimensional shapes like a circle and a triangle. I made a blue circle and a yellow triangle. It was downright dreadful. My four year old nephew could have done better. Needless to say, the easel and paints along with a bunch of blank canvas's are in the garage and haven't seen light of day since.

I like the painting! I wish I could paint Butterball.

This is my last attempt at painting. Butterbeans thought he would eat the blue paint. It was non toxic.

Replacement String:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
About a year ago I bought an easel, paints, and brushes. I had a sweet setup. I thought I'd start off with simple two dimensional shapes like a circle and a triangle. I made a blue circle and a yellow triangle. It was downright dreadful. My four year old nephew could have done better. Needless to say, the easel and paints along with a bunch of blank canvas's are in the garage and haven't seen light of day since.

This is my last attempt at painting. Butterbeans thought he would eat the blue paint. It was non toxic.

YouTube - A Sphynx Called ButterBall Episode 31 Blue Paint
Okay, I have never seen a male sphynx in person ~ is Ball neutered, cuz his "bits" seem really ummm obvious, lol:LOL::Surprise::Surprise:

Lisa Dobby

Lairian

YouTube - A Sphynx Called ButterBall Episode 31 Blue Paint

I personally think watercolours are way harder to work with than acrylics . And they are way more forgiving. You can paint over anything that you don't like. Maybe you should just try a different medium. This painting I just finished of Dobby is HUGE.. Its 3 feet by 3 feet... The background was done with a large household paint brush like the kind you paint your wall with.. Just kept picking up different colours on the brush and away you go. You can get acrylics cheap at the dollar store if you dont want to invest a ton of money into it. I just paint because I enjoy it.. I did paintings of my 2 dogs over a year ago and felt bad that Dobby didn't have his own so I made one for him... I find it really relaxing. I never stress if things don't look perfect like a picture. We have cameras for that right? LOL

Lisa Dobby

Lairian
oh wouldn't it be fun to have an art show here for artistic members to show off?

I'd love to see other art that people have done. I am no professional by any stretch... I just paint to relax. I have a huge 5 foot by 4 foot canvas sitting in my living room right now.. Sometimes it takes me weeks to figure out what I want to put on canvas. The planning is way more fun than the actual painting! LOL

Treespirit

Lairian
oh wouldn't it be fun to have an art show here for artistic members to show off?

I agree! That would be cool!

Great painting. I love the texture in the background. What medium did you use? Is this acrylic?

Currently my sister is doing a portrait of Lyra in colored pencil. I'm jealous because I feel I just never have the time to get to my art. The last portrait I did was one of a pit bull from the SPCA last year in acrylic.

Treespirit

Lairian
I personally think watercolours are way harder to work with than acrylics . And they are way more forgiving. You can paint over anything that you don't like. Maybe you should just try a different medium.

I use acrylic more like watercolor. I always water it down. I've never used acrylic thick like I guess you are supposed to. :LOL: But my favorite medium is gouache. It's so cool!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'd love to see other art that people have done. I am no professional by any stretch... I just paint to relax. I have a huge 5 foot by 4 foot canvas sitting in my living room right now.. Sometimes it takes me weeks to figure out what I want to put on canvas. The planning is way more fun than the actual painting! LOL

My mother will buy a canvas and stare at it for days before she starts to work on it. I always loved watching her paint as a child. I can't wait until she finishes the painting of Snuffie!

Lisa Dobby

Lairian
I agree! That would be cool!

Great painting. I love the texture in the background. What medium did you use? Is this acrylic?

Currently my sister is doing a portrait of Lyra in colored pencil. I'm jealous because I feel I just never have the time to get to my art. The last portrait I did was one of a pit bull from the SPCA last year in acrylic.

I only use acrylic. I got frustrated with oils. Too much clean up! And water colours are not forgiving! LOL

Back