Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

FIP

CuryC

Lairian
I know its been a while since I have been on. I'm so sorry. I guess I can start by telling you guys we didn't end up with a Sphynx :( I really wanted one, and picked him out and names him (Cury), but each time I was going to get him, something came up and I felt like that was a sign that either he isn't the right kitty, or something bad was going to happen if I got him.
Soooo we did something else and went to the humane society and adopted a fluffy kitty, Bo. According to them he was a healthy 11 year old. I took him to the vet about a week after getting him home & as I was getting him in the crate I noticed that his 3rd eyelid looked red. I got him some drops and we used them for a week and I noticed that it wasn't red any longer but that sometimes it would stay extended. Not sure if that makes any difference, but I am sharing everything I know.
I don't fault the humane society for feeding purina, but I bought a small bag and swapped him to a better food when we brought him home and since he was part Maine Coon I also tried to feed him wet food.
Fast forward to this past weekend...the kids are about to go back to school and so my husband and I wanted to take them off and have a nice little getaway. We came home Sunday and my MIL (who stayed with them the whole weekend) said that Bo hadn't pooped and he looked bloated. That was the under statement of the century....
Monday morning I called the vet, they had no openings but said that we can drop him off and they will fit him in.
They called back and said that it could be one of many things, none of which have a good prognosis. Cancer, heart failure, FIP, liver disease, or GI issues....which would be the best case scenario.
I'm waiting on blood work to come back this morning and they are doing the caronavirus test as well, but I am really worried that we aren't going to be able to bring the kitty home.
This was my daughters cat, she picked him out, he lived in her room, slept with her, everything. If she even stayed down the hall with her brother he would cry for her to come back to her room.
I guess I'm just looking for a little positivity..and advice on what you would do with such negative outcomes lurking. I don't want him gone, but I don't want him to suffer at home....

Raphael Grupilo

Lairian
I know its been a while since I have been on. I'm so sorry. I guess I can start by telling you guys we didn't end up with a Sphynx :( I really wanted one, and picked him out and names him (Cury), but each time I was going to get him, something came up and I felt like that was a sign that either he isn't the right kitty, or something bad was going to happen if I got him.
Soooo we did something else and went to the humane society and adopted a fluffy kitty, Bo. According to them he was a healthy 11 year old. I took him to the vet about a week after getting him home & as I was getting him in the crate I noticed that his 3rd eyelid looked red. I got him some drops and we used them for a week and I noticed that it wasn't red any longer but that sometimes it would stay extended. Not sure if that makes any difference, but I am sharing everything I know.
I don't fault the humane society for feeding purina, but I bought a small bag and swapped him to a better food when we brought him home and since he was part Maine Coon I also tried to feed him wet food.
Fast forward to this past weekend...the kids are about to go back to school and so my husband and I wanted to take them off and have a nice little getaway. We came home Sunday and my MIL (who stayed with them the whole weekend) said that Bo hadn't pooped and he looked bloated. That was the under statement of the century....
Monday morning I called the vet, they had no openings but said that we can drop him off and they will fit him in.
They called back and said that it could be one of many things, none of which have a good prognosis. Cancer, heart failure, FIP, liver disease, or GI issues....which would be the best case scenario.
I'm waiting on blood work to come back this morning and they are doing the caronavirus test as well, but I am really worried that we aren't going to be able to bring the kitty home.
This was my daughters cat, she picked him out, he lived in her room, slept with her, everything. If she even stayed down the hall with her brother he would cry for her to come back to her room.
I guess I'm just looking for a little positivity..and advice on what you would do with such negative outcomes lurking. I don't want him gone, but I don't want him to suffer at home....

I'd just like to worn you that a positive test for Coronavirus doesn't mean by itself that the cat has FIP. Most cats do test positive for this virus and very few will eventually develop FIP. Pay attention to it because wrong diagnosis of FIP is something that, unfortunately, happens very often. The diagnosis of FIP should be based on a series of symptoms, blood test results, history, treatment response, etc. Hope everything will be just fine!

SphynxNinel

Lairian
We had a Sphynx kitten with FIP. Everything happened so fast! He was fine one day and the other he felt cold, his eyes looked weird and his skin (usually pink) turned a bit yellow. When we took him to the vet his temperature was low, heart rate high and there was no eye pupil reflex. The vet wanted to hold him there to observe and do some test. The day after we were called by the vet saying it was FIP and he just had an epileptic seizure. When we went to the vet, we could see that we couldn't do anything for him then put him sleep... FIP Always kills and it does very fast! 48 hours after we noticed something was wrong he passed away. He was just 10 months old :cry:

CuryC

Lairian
Update...
So Bo kitty has crossed over the rainbow bridge.
He was tested for all kinds of things including the fluid they were able to drain on his belly. I hesitated to get it tested until we found out the results of the FIP test, but my husband said to go ahead and do it...and I'm glad he did. The fluid tested positive for Neoplastic Effusion per the pathology report. After consulting with my mom (a vet tech for many years), my vet, my daughter (her kitty), and my husband we made the very difficult decision to put him to sleep. The vet said that there was no guarantee how much longer his life would be, and that while he might be ok as far as pain right now, when the fluid builds up again he may be hurting. She offered to send me to an oncologist, but said that this was not operable and that treatment would be trial/error to see what worked...but she didn't think that he would have more than a week.
If you're the praying type, please pray for my little kiddo. She is heartbroken about losing her first cat...as well as the rest of the house. There is an absence, and its just sad.
I'll do my best to keep in contact here more often. You all have been so helpful, welcoming, and given such great advice.
xoxo

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@CuryC so sorry for the loss of your daughter's Bo. Your daughter and you showed how much you love Bo by letting him go. Sending lots of loving vibes to your daughter and you.

CuryC

Lairian
Thank you everyone for your support..
We are taking it one day at a time for now. I am working to keep my daughter busy so she has less time to think about it, and make herself too upset.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry ro read your story. Hopefully your daughter recovers from grief quickly. It is difficult to watch our children in pain. Hugs to you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC , (((comforting hugs)))) I am so sorry to leave Bo got his angel wings
Sending a lair full of prayers for your family amd extra hugs to your daughter

Please tell her Bo lives in her heart forever
(((((Hugs)))))

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

CuryC

Lairian
@CuryC , (((comforting hugs)))) I am so sorry to leave Bo got his angel wings
Sending a lair full of prayers for your family amd extra hugs to your daughter

Please tell her Bo lives in her heart forever
(((((Hugs)))))

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats
View attachment 86773 View attachment 86771 View attachment 86772

View attachment 86771 View attachment 86772
Thank you so much.
I have been keeping her really busy, scheduling things for her to do everyday & of course getting ready to go back to school.
I also brought up the idea of possibly fostering kittens & volunteering at the shelter until we are ready to add another kitty to our mix.
I would love to have a little sphynx, but I don't seem to have luck in my area, so until then we can help those in need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC , awhhh what a wonderful sentiment to honor Bo by volunteering at the shelter and or fostering ((hugs))
It is a wonderful way to give love and help them to know love in their transitions to their forever homes .
I just dropped off items at the shelter the other day and they are very appreciative for the volunteers making a difference for those in need.

In the future , if and when your hearts are ready
Please feel free to post a thread in thr adoption section amd or request a referral for reputable breeders in your area who may have a retiree to adopt .

Sending a lair full of comforting hugs to you amd your daughter

Back