Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Firm up! Pumpkin

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have recently had some runny poop issues with Alfie even though he is on raw. We think he got into something, but it gave us a chance to try out a new product we bought a while ago from a local health pet shop....

It's called 'Firm up! Pumpkin' and is targeted at dogs but says on the pack it is for dogs and cats. It contains dried USA grown pumpkin and some USA grown apple fiber too.

So far it has worked just as well as canned pumpkin for us, and saves wasting half finished cans.. I think it works out cheaper too over time. I got a 1lb bag for $25 and use 2 teaspoonfuls per meal (mixed with 2 tsp of water)

Worth checking out :)

http://www.amazon.com/Firm-Up-Pumpkin-1-pound/dp/B00EG0LFHC

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks - great to see some useful options out there! :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Hairless Blessing I only started using this after the loose poop and this supplement helped firm it up again.

I have been reading about Apple fiber and seems similar to pumpkin in it's effectiveness in firming it up :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can pumpkin can be given regularly or should it only be used to treat unhappy poops? And if regularly, how much (if using canned)? Thank you!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can pumpkin can be given regularly or should it only be used to treat unhappy poops? And if regularly, how much (if using canned)? Thank you!
Personally I would only use it as you have poop issues, as I don't believe it provides any other benefit to the pet apart from the extra fiber which helps with bad poop. In fact, on raw I tend to avoid it unless needed as I have found it can cause monster poops which are TOO firm and big. Some cats which always have bad poop are always on pumpkin, it helps with the poop and doesn't cause any harm.

"Some people add pumpkin, squash, and other vegetables as a fiber source. I suppose that's fine if your cat is okay with it, but there's no meaningful nutritional value for kitties from vegetables. "

-- an excerpt from http://www.catnutrition.org/4/category/vegetables/1.html

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Personally I would only use it as you have poop issues, as I don't believe it provides any other benefit to the pet apart from the extra fiber which helps with bad poop. In fact, on raw I tend to avoid it unless needed as I have found it can cause monster poops which are TOO firm and big. Some cats which always have bad poop are always on pumpkin, it helps with the poop and doesn't cause any harm.

"Some people add pumpkin, squash, and other vegetables as a fiber source. I suppose that's fine if your cat is okay with it, but there's no meaningful nutritional value for kitties from vegetables. "

-- an excerpt from http://www.catnutrition.org/4/category/vegetables/1.html
Thank you so much! That's helpful. I'm hoping to use a raw food diet but need to learn about that first (I've just barely scratched the surface of the content on this forum). I'm in Vancouver, BC, so I'm hopeful we have some good sources.

PS/ETA: I like the term "monster poops". It made me chuckle. ;-)