Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tale Grude

Lairian
Hi!

I just got myself a little Sphynx kitten a week a go. And she's gotten a bit dirty, so I feel like it's time for her first bath. But she has never had bath before. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to proceed the first time I'm giving my little girl a bath?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Tale Grude Here is a great video that will help you get started! Members will be able to help with suggestions if it does not go well. Just be consistent and in control. I love using exfoliating gloves! Just open video below.

Good luck,

Patti

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, exfoliating gloves are very helpful. Not only do they get them very clean, they also help with holding on to your kitten (they get very slippery haha).
Make sure you have everything ready and let her know you are in charge. Good luck!

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hope your baby is a waterbabe like my Blue, it makes life so much easier, i use johnsons baby products & talk to Blue the whole time, you might want to try clipping your babys nails before the bath then when your finished have earbuds & babywipes to hand, i clean the ears after the bath while holding blue like a baby wrapped in a towel ( preferably nice & warm pff the radiater ;) ), then polish up his toe nails with a baby wipe, get rid off all that nasty poo-gunk...good luck & happy bathtime :) xxx

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's also good to squirt Epi optic cleaner into the ears and massage the ears, one by one before the bath.
After bath, keep them wrapped up in the towel and take your wash cloth and clean all you can from inside
their ears. Then, take a q-tip and get the little crevices just, don't go where you can't see.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's also good to squirt Epi optic cleaner into the ears and massage the ears, one by one before the bath.
After bath, keep them wrapped up in the towel and take your wash cloth and clean all you can from inside
their ears. Then, take a q-tip and get the little crevices just, don't go where you can't see.

Writing this one down in my notes. So many notes. heee. Thank you.

Tale Grude

Lairian
Thanks for all your tips! It went surprisingly well! And hopfully it won't get harder to give her a bath in the future, he he. But I am finding it a bit hard to clip and clean her nails properly without her wiggiling. I'm always so scared that I'll clip the quick..

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That is great the bath went well! You will get used to the whole routine in no time. Your baby probably senses you are nervous during the clipping time and figures they just might have a chance to wiggle away...lol. Not sure if you are wrapping them in a towel when you clip them nails, but it helps to have them wrapped tightly and one foot at a time comes out to be clipped.

patti

Tale Grude

Lairian
I washed her yesterday and she is already getting dirty again.. Haha! Which I guess isn't that weird considering that most of the dirt she gets on her comes from the cat litter, and she gotta go potty so I guess there is no avoiding it :p

Tale Grude

Lairian
Yeah, maybe. It's just that except for a little dust I'm very happy with the cat litter I'm using. I'm using Øko Pluss. It's flushable, eco-friendly, non-toxic and made out of natural plant material :) and I don't think it's really all that dusty. I just think that because the cat is hairless and has a bit oily skin, she's a magnet for the dust :p

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just realized you're in Norway! So sorry... linking to a Western litter. haha. Øko Pluss sounds great. We have similar here which I should look into as well! Cheers and happy weekend.

Back