Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

FIRST Spa Day Advice?!?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So the ever dreaded, or cautiously anticipated, first full spa day is upon us! ... Maybe...

After much research about the breed, I knew I would need to fully bathe Kenzo 1-2 times a month, along with keeping up with weekly nail trims and ear cleaning. So today marks the official one month mark since Kenzo’s last bath, which was done at the breeders. We have everything ready to go! Sphynx shampoo, coconut oil, exfoliating gloves, baby wash cloths; you name it we have it! Only issue is, KENZO ISN’T DIRTY.

Some of you may have read my other threads where I spoke upon his lack of trademark oily skin and mushroom scent. I figured it would only be a matter of time, but here we are, and he is still... well... clean. Stinkless. Forlorn of waxiness. My all white bedsheets are still pristinely unadorned with orange oil stains.

So herein lies the question... Do I go ahead and bathe my otherwise clean-anomaly-of-sphynxie cat, or should I wait for the tell-tale signs of a dirty puss, and bathe him then? I don’t want to ruin a good thing by bathing him unnecessarily. We seem to be on quite the roll right now. However, to be honest, I was rather selfishly looking forward to spa day. Does everyone else have a stinky sphynx except me? Did I get the stainless steel edition? I know this isn’t much of a problem, lol. Advice appreciated!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LMAO

First, clone him immediately. Any Sphynx that doesn't require regular baths is definitely going to be most sought after. Although you are not the first person to mention this on the Lair.

Honestly, I would say don't necessarily bathe him. But definitely take care of the ears and nails. If you see any dirt anywhere else, just try warm water on a face cloth Or baby cloth.

Min, my girl, stays super clean. But due to her allergies, I do have to bathe her in special shampoo weekly even if she's not dirty. Max, on the other hand, looks like he bathes in grease and oil. I only fully bathe him once a month, and in between just wipe him down. If I bathe him every week, he gets even oilier.

Once again, this only proves that every Sphynx is a little bit different with regards to their bathing requirements. There is no magic formula.

Again, clone him! LOL

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Xandria :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Right?! Lol. I was mentally and physically prepared for the extra responsibility and laundry. I had also asked the breeder about his parent’s bathing schedule and oiliness. She said they were very low maintenance in comparison to other sphynx she has as well. I guess it’s genetics?

IMO, this gives me a leg up in negotiations with Hubs for a second sphynx! ;)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yes clone him! And I would say, if he isn't dirty don't bath him:).
And the second sphynx....a big yes to that!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well after everyone’s input, I decided to take a rain check on spa day. Instead, I used the coconut oil as a hair mask and did my own DIY spa day for myself. Time well spent! :kiss:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica , lol tell hubby my 4 adoptees are low maintenance too for full spa days
Wink wink perhaps a Sphynx buddy for Kenzo Bare someday .
I can go a month with doing touch ups with a few teenie drops of Hylyt shampoo amd baby face clothes in a pticher of warm water (worked better than baby wipes for my crew )

I trim nails , clean nails beds twice a week (be sure to look at the nail beds amd skin folds around the toes for any hiding gunk )

I clean wipe out ears twice a week

Lol I also use "their " coconut oil It's wonderful

lol Kenzo got his rain check -
Just be sure to maybe mock spa day too so he gets used to the water , routine while he is young

Head smooches sent !

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Thanks for the tips! While trimming his back nails last night, I saw he had some toe gunk on the base of his nails. Today, we will let him wade in some water to loosen it up and wipe it off. He has jumped in to join myself or my daughter’s bath 4 times since we’ve had him lol. Maybe that’s why he’s so clean :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica , awhhhh he is one cool Kitty!

Ps
This year I started using oil free , non alcohol make up remover wipes for nail gunk in bewteen spa days

Lol I am not as fortunate that they would like a leisurely stroll wading in water lol

Do you have the oxolotls ? Does he enjoy watching them?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom -- Quick thank you for the makeup wipe recommendation. It worked really well with Max, my gunky nail boy. What I did was dip the wipe into hot water first, gave it a squeeze and then went to work on his nails! It was better than coconut oil actually. For me, at any rate.

I used these as I couldn't find what you use here in Canada