Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

First time Sphynx owner - Picking a dry food?

DollyLox

Lairian
My partner and I will be bringing home our first sphynx kitten in Aug, we're both so excited but stuck on picking an adult food. Long story short we have a current long haired male cat (7) and we'd like to keep the same adult food for both of them once she's around a year old.

Ive been doing some research on the best possible dry food for her and I am stuck between two options.
- Dried Whey Protein Concentrate caught my eye - is this a safe/ideal ingredient?
- Canola Oil is fairly high up in one of the ingredients list - is this a safe/ideal ingredient?
- Price is not an overall concern/deciding factor

1. Nature's Variety® Instinct® Ultimate Protein Adult Cat Food - Natural, Grain Free, Duck
47% Crude Protein
17% Crude Fat
10% Moisture
Duck, Chicken, Chicken Eggs, Tapioca, Ground Flaxseed, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whey Protein Concentrate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Montmorillonite Clay, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Freeze Dried Duck (including Freeze Dried Ground Duck Bone), Pumpkinseeds, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract

2. Nature's Variety® Instinct® Raw Boost Cat Food - Natural, Grain Free, Freeze Dried Raw, Chicken
43% Crude Protein
20% Crude Fat
9% Moisture
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tapioca, Freeze Dried Chicken, Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, White Fish Meal (Pacific Whiting, Pacific Sole, Pacific Rockfish), Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Salt, Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Carrots, Apples, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I really like that brand, but first I’d like to say that I’d recommend you feed them wet food instead if they will have it. Cats are notoriously poor drinkers, so the wet food gets them some moisture added into their diets. Eating kibble for them is like us eating pretzels. In humans, you get really thirsty so you drink. But cats don’t have a very good thirst drive so they never drink enough when they are on a diet of kibble. Additionally, kitties often overeat when fed kibble because it is such a calorie dense food. Often times we hear about problems with weight gain because of this.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DollyLox welcome to the lair family! looking forward to gotcha day pics and pics of both! all paws are lair family! @Catzzzmeow do you feed NV?

I am feeding my bengal and adult sphynx Nutrisource cat and kitten food (blue bag) for years (no recalls good for gut health , for picky eaters) just got my moms cat that went to vet for a UTI switched over and he loves it too. my bengal is IBD and does good on as well as my sphynx adoptees

if you type natures variety in the top right search box, you may find previous threads about the food

be sure to check out the sphynx info center great threads for sphynx life ") so excited for you!! what is your furbaby's name?

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used to feed Wellness and I thought it was also a good food. It’s probably my my second choice, in fact.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I like the first one better. The package on it says 90% of the calories are from meat and that's important. The opposite (which you don't want) is calories coming from vegetables and other stuff. It's all about the meat.

I also want to point out that a lot of people feed a combination of wet and dry. For example, you could give HALF of a 5.5 ounce can of wet food first thing in the morning, leave a little bit of dry when you head out for the day, give the other half of the can when you return home, and leave another little bit of dry when you go to bed. The idea is to give just a little bit of kibble so they are hungry when it's time for wet food.

People that have 2 cats and leave food for them use containers with timers that pop open when it's time for kibble. If you just leave kibble out in the open, the same cat might eat the whole thing.