Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

First Vet Visit

Ddungo

Lairian
Hey all, I'm finally getting my first sphynx kitten on Sunday and am beyond excited. I want to get him checked by a vet during the 72 hour agreement.The breeder said he will already be up to date on all his shots but I will also have to get the rabies shot (required by my state's law).

What do you all suggest I have done during his first check up? Bloodwork?
What are the things I should stay away from? I read on here that sphynx should never be vaccinated for leukemia, anything else I need to be aware of as a first time sphynx parent?

Thank you all so much! I look forward to learning more about this.

(Also…here is the most recent picture from the breeder just so y'all can see his cute little self!)
IMG_6655.PNG

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Ddungo Oh, what a cutie. You must be so excited for Gotcha Day! FIP and FeLV vaccines are NOT RECOMMENDED.
Don’t forget to bring a poop sample when you go.

Patti

oolahappi

Lairian
Most vets offer ‘kitten exams’ which would cover all the necessities like making sure they are dewormed and parasite free. Do bring proof of what vaccinations and shots kitty has been given prior to the exam.

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ask your vet if they are familiar with the Sphynx breed, if they say yes then trust they will know what to do. I phoned 3 vets in my City before I found one familiar with Sphynx cats. My vet has been very helpful with questions I have.

Ddungo

Lairian
@Ddungo Oh, what a cutie. You must be so excited for Gotcha Day! FIP and FeLV vaccines are NOT RECOMMENDED.
Don’t forget to bring a poop sample when you go.

Patti
We are SO SO SO excited! Only four more days!
Quick question regarding poop sample: What would be the purpose of bringing some in? To test for parasites? Wouldn't they be able to take a fecal sample during the exam?

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes it's to test for parasites and other stomachs bugs that can show up in a fecal sample. I believe it's usually easier to bring a sample in as you are more likely going to be able to get a sample easily and without stress to your kitten. Vets can be scary and cats when nervous can refuse to go to the toilet, where you can easily just grab some from the litter and pop it in a baggy or a container :) much less stress for everyone

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ooooh what a handsome and adorable boy. That look he’s giving into the camera says it all. He’s ready to shake up your household:). Great advice given about vaccins and vet check.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Fresh poop is how they do a fecal sample. They do not draw a poop sample during a wellness exam unless you bring one. If you do not have one to bring (some will not poop the first day or 2 due to stress) you can bring it after the exam.