Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

First week with kitty, how to bathe her?

LuaLove

Lairian
Hey, I've been hearing you can use kitten shampoo or even baby shampoo. I'm planning on bathing her tonight so I was just wondering what kind I should get and what is safe to use.

She also had surgery last Wednesday, and pulled her stitches out! Not to mention, she has a cold. :( Will it be okay to bathe her do you think? I'm just worried about my little baby.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well my only advice is to bathe carefully and be sure and clip her claws BEFORE the bath. You might get lucky and your baby might be OK with a bath. Let's hope so. If your baby is not OK with a bath, there a bunch of techniques to try. Like getting in the bath too. Or using a smaller tub inside the bath tub.

As for shampoo. I think the consensus is baby shampoo. Johnson's baby shampoo has worked well for me and others. Admin and wife will soon be introducing Sphynx Suds, so you might give that a try when it hits the market.

As for the stitches, I don't have any experience with that. But I would think a little water and soap might actually be good for the wound as long as you don't over scrub.

Good luck.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can not bathe her yet because of the surgery it is not safe.
You need to wait 10-14 days after surgery before you can bathe her.
The owners of this site will be selling a shampoo made for sphynx soon.
I use Burts Bees Milk and Shea Butter and Sphynx shampoo for my cats.
The Burts is all natural.
Johnsons baby shampoo and dove are ok also but it depends on the sphynx.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would recommend waiting 2 weeks after the surgery for a full bath, just to be on the safe side. In the meantime I would just wipe her down with a damp washcloth. You could also call your vet and see when they think would be a good time to start bathing, since they know more about her surgical site than we do.

For bathing I swipe the cat's butt with melted coconut oil then wash from head to toe with Johnson's Baby Wash. It's very gentle on the skin and doesn't burn the eyes. I plan on trying Sphynx Suds soon as its available.

LuaLove

Lairian
Okay, thank you. I'm gonna go ahead and wait to bathe her then, I'll just use baby wipes or as you said, a washcloth.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm glad you got wonderful advice and decided to hold off on the bath. I hope Lua stitches mend and that her cold clears soon.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Whoops, beware my bad advice. I stand corrected. Wait to bathe her.