Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fish tanks/aquariums

Yoda mom

Staff member
Rest In Peace Choo Choo . I know he is just a fish to many but he really was special .

I adopted full grown Choo Choo when my father died in July two years ago . I grew up fishing with my dad on our boat on Long Island’s great South Bay . We often caught and released many sand sharks ...
My dad worked fo the railroad amd I spent many trips on trains to the city with him and out to Montauk.
So I named this little peaceful fun interactive fella Choo Choo.

This morning Choo Choo got his little fish wings .. ironically the same time of the month I was at my dads bedside ...

Miss ya little Choo Choo

Yoda mom

Staff member
509209BE-2A1C-4ACF-8617-180D061E621C.jpeg
0BBE5EE8-65B3-4B4F-8C3F-D4776427F345.jpeg
509209BE-2A1C-4ACF-8617-180D061E621C.jpeg
@Sheldon13
I walk by the tank and miss him swimming up to meet me ... he had soo much personality
.. he would play even roll around his little favorite shell like a dog ..always made me smile ..
The other fish in the tank are pretty but no personality like my little fella .. (he was actually 6 inches and at least 8 years old .. he was a rehome orphan )

Everyone was surprised that he was soo docile for a red tail because usually they eat their tank mates.
His bestie was the angelicus loach ..they would sleep side by side .

Swim free Choo Choo!

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
View attachment 94211View attachment 94212View attachment 94211@Sheldon13
I walk by the tank and miss him swimming up to meet me ... he had soo much personality
.. he would play even roll around his little favorite shell like a dog ..always made me smile ..
The other fish in the tank are pretty but no personality like my little fella .. (he was actually 6 inches and at least 8 years old .. he was a rehome orphan )

Everyone was surprised that he was soo docile for a red tail because usually they eat their tank mates.
His bestie was the angelicus loach ..they would sleep side by side .

Swim free Choo Choo!

He looks sweet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 he was such a good happy boy ....
was never mean to any of the fish
There will never be another red tail shark like him.
Will not be getting another . He was one of a kind .

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Anita Eccleston API Master Test Kits are a life saver for testing & adjusting water!

@Yoda mom Ill try to remember to get photos when my new hood is installed! The adults are similar to the juvies, but their face looks more like a grumpy toad now, lol.

I’d say, care of axies is a slight step above beginner level (betta fish). The most important thing with them is the water quality! Once you have a cycled tank & established colony of good bacteria growing, it’s super simple. Sorry to hear about your Choo choo fish. He was super cute!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Awesome looking....... we are actually in the process now of setting up a tank for a figure 8 puffer....

He’s a blast! Quite the little character. I consider most of my fish as ?livestock? I guess that’s it. Anyway they aren’t really pets. Ocho though, he’s definitely a pet. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@k9guy so exciting! Figure 8 puffers are fun!

I had a big figure 8 puffer but he came in sick from the fish store :( he had that white fluffy fungus ... he was like a little puppy dog !

@Sheldon13 awwhhhh sooo cute ! Did you name him?
I think they are pets !

Extra snacks to your adorable puffers !

I had good luck with my salt water puffer but just couldn’t get a healthy green spotted or figure 8 one from my local fish store..

Positive vibes !

Following for updates!

Hope you can share pics n details of your set ups

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 Ocho is a cutie ! Wasn’t sure if you had one or two fig8s

Do you have a green spotted puffer ?
Ever have dwarf puffers? They are super teeeenie

Sheldon13

Staff member
Ocho is my first puffer actually. I had no idea what I was missing! I love my Bettas, but they don’t hold a candle to the personality of a puffer.

Sheldon13

Staff member
And I don’t think Ocho would be ok with a puffer tank mate. He kinda bullies the bumblebee gobies around as it is lol.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 My figure 8 was a hoot of fun! Definitely no tank mates or they would be lunch!
Do you feed him snails?
Once they are there , they are forever lol
I haven’t had him I years and have snails still

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Oh the snails! I remember how much I tried to get rid of those suckers. We even completely emptied our tank and it sat in the garage for months with just the pebbles at the bottom. When we refilled it, the snails somehow regenerated along with the water :0

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Yoda mom Oh the snails! I remember how much I tried to get rid of those suckers. We even completely emptied our tank and it sat in the garage for months with just the pebbles at the bottom. When we refilled it, the snails somehow regenerated along with the water :0

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Sheldon13 My figure 8 was a hoot of fun! Definitely no tank mates or they would be lunch!
Do you feed him snails?
Once they are there , they are forever lol
I haven’t had him I years and have snails still

Yes I feed him a couple of snails at least once a week and usually twice a week. He goes ape for them! He’s excited about food in general of course, but snails he does this little fancy sprint thing to get to them before they’ve even fallen to the bottom. I also give him ghost shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and live daphnia. Those are his second favorite he gets pretty excited for. I’ve offered Grindal worms but he won’t go for them, but my gobies love them so I usually feed them that on the days he gets snails.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 awhh quite the feast ! Mine loved ghost shrimp too

Oh the bumble bee gobies are cuties! I was thinking of s couple in my 55
Is he leaving them alone ?

I have my Betta In with two panda Cory with a cave and decor .
to my surprise I saw two fry pandas! They had babies ! Surprised more that the Betta didn’t eat the fry ..
Now there are 4 panda Corys swimmingly about with the crowntail Betta amd he never bothers them

Sheldon13

Staff member
That’s so cool they had babies! I’d love to have a big school of cories some day.

The gobies do fine. I have 7. Ocho bugs them a lot but all he does is swim up to them and they move. Never any damage done.

Back