Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flakey skin

Jacmac

Lairian
Hi all,
My baby has some really dry skin. At first we thought he was just super dirty but now it’s turned into dry flakey skin.
I’ve read so many posts but most of the pictures look different, and there’s so many things to eliminate as to what’s causing it.
63649D32-25A6-4490-9257-A2D815BCB8E9.jpeg
So I am wondering, if anyone’s babies also had dry skin like this and what was the cause? So I can try eliminating it straight away.
BB61EADF-75A0-4FEC-9872-53331098B625.jpeg

I’m thinking it was the shampoo we first started on so we have changed this, and tried to stop washing as much but it just makes me feel so bad. He doesn’t seem to be in pain.
I did start using coconut oil, but he was just licking it off.

Any help or ideas would be grateful

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi I think that’s a yeast infection.Perhaps the vet can prescribe something for this.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am guessing yeast as well Malaseb shampoo might do the trick, but I would definitely have your vet confirm.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good luck at the vets please let us know how you go with a treatment regime.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I recently read coconut oil can make things worse. perhaps discontinue using it and see if it helps . keep us updated on the vet visit.

Jacmac

Lairian
I also seen this, so I have stop it on the weekend as it wasn’t making it better (or worse) vet tomorrow
I recently read coconut oil can make things worse. perhaps discontinue using it and see if it helps . keep us updated on the vet visit.

Jacmac

Lairian
Vet check done ✅ they said it may have been a yeast infection but these last two days after using malaseb it has cleared up a lot of the dry skin. Said to just keep washing in this and see how he goes, if doesn’t get better than to take him back