Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flaking skin associated with cat flu?

Jayne89

Lairian
Hi guys,
Recently we added a new sphynx member to our family and ever since my girl ( had cat flu when she was a kitten) has been having flare ups I'm presuming due to the stress. In the beginning it was the usual sneezing and weepy eyes but just recently she has developed this sort of flaking on her skin, pretty much all over except the belly. When I wash her it stays clear for about a day only and then is back. She doesn't spend much time in the sun so I don't think it's sun related and we haven't changed her food or anything else. Does anyone know if flaking skin can be a symptom of cat flu?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 35

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is it dryness? Does a tiny bit of coconut oil ease it? I don't know about it being a symptom of cat flu.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Poor girl! I was thinking coconut oil too. Get the pure organic stuff, it's solid and use just a tad.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Jayne89 It does look dry. Usually the belly is the oiliest on mine because less sun exposure, natural sweat etc. so that might be why yours does not have on it's belly. how often do you bathe your baby? Perhaps you can wait longer between baths and see if the body tries to go back to its normal pH levels.

Patti

Jayne89

Lairian
Poor girl! I was thinking coconut oil too. Get the pure organic stuff, it's solid and use just a tad.
I have got coconut oil and have used it a few times and it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.. it does make her feel nice and smooth and soft for about a day or so after her baths but then the flaking comes back again :(

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just use Johnson and johnsons baby shampoo usually, haven't ever changed it and never had problems with it in the past so not sure if I should try another.. could make it better or worse I guess :/

I know a lot of people use j&j baby shampoo, I did too. But, the ph level in that shampoo is not recommended for animals.
So, you could try another to see if it makes any difference.
This is a great shampoo for sphynx or any cat or dog for that matter. My Vet recommended it
and when I tried it I loved it. Here is a link. They have different varieties I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/DVM-PHARMACEUTICALS-Hylyt-Shampoo-16-Ounce/dp/B00757KWR2

Jayne89

Lairian
I know a lot of people use j&j baby shampoo, I did too. But, the ph level in that shampoo is not recommended for animals.
So, you could try another to see if it makes any difference.
This is a great shampoo for sphynx or any cat or dog for that matter. My Vet recommended it
and when I tried it I loved it. Here is a link. They have different varieties I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/DVM-PHARMACEUTICALS-Hylyt-Shampoo-16-Ounce/dp/B00757KWR2

hmm looks interesting, might give it a go :)

Back