Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flea & tick and other questions

Kioana

Lairian
Hi !

I'm back lol I found a kitten!!!!!

A lady had to rehome beucause her hubbby woudnt come home because he was breaking out from the cat so I got her for $100! Steal right!
She's 5months and a doll:) her name is Katt Von Dee R. We was going to go with vixen but my cousin yelled out this name and t stuck lol

Anyway they didn't care for her very well IMO , her ears was dirty

1. How "dirty" should they be ? I used 10 q-tips for each ear and it was thick blk stuff

bath time went great for her she was bit dirty water turned brown after yuck!

2. What kinda shampoo should I use

3. Should I be useong flea and tick stuff if she's an only pet but she will be going aorund my cousins dogs

4. Wet food or dry ? Sorry my first cat

5.how offen does she get a bath ? 2x a week?

6. Clothes are they oh k ?

7. Do cats start to claw at things young ? How do I stop it ?

How much food ? I was told 4x a day but that seems a bit much to me ?!

9.if you don't fix a female cat what happens ? I know males spray , no I don't want to breed bt I need to know becuase I want to wait till tax time and I need to know what to wathcing out for.

10. Tips for owning a Sphynx??

I'll post pics later I'm on my iPod

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The brown stuff. in the ears is oil.
You can use Epi Optic to clean the ears.
I do not use ant flea or tick stuff on my sphynxs.
Do you know the history of the cat.
Sphynx can have a heart problem called HCM.
The brown stuff you see in the sink is oil.
I bathe my sphynxs either once a week or every 2 weeks.
Do not feed her twice a week it will dry her skin out.
My youngest sphynx is 5 months old also.
Sphynx have a high metabolism and eat alot.
Unfixed females go in heat.
Some can be very loud.
Did this lady get her from a breeder?
I feed my kitten Royal Cannin kitten.
You can use different shampoos for a bath.
I use burts bees and aveeno with oatmeal.
You can put clothes on her when it is cold.
Cats do claw things.
Get her a scratching post and toys.
Sphynx can be hyper.

Kioana

Lairian
Yes I know the basic of a cat I work with them at work just never lived with them
I figure soemthing I was missing .

The lady did get her from a breeder I THINK not reallysure I was just happy go have her I didn't ask she said she only had her a week. So she hasn't had the best start in life

I'm sorry I think I misread but how times do you feed ? I have that ear wash so I'll just use that thanks

Brooke

Banned
Welcome back! Congrats on your new kitten, and yes, it sounds like you got a great deal!

1. How "dirty" should they be ? I used 10 q-tips for each ear and it was thick blk stuff
10 Q-tips is excessive. You should have her checked out by a vet soon since you just got her and have them check her ears, but this might also just be because her ears haven't been cleaned in a while, since you said she was also quite dirty. The only way to know for sure is to have a vet check them, but watch her for signs that her ears are bothering her, is she shaking her head a lot, tilting her head or scratching her ears, or does it seem painful to her when you clean them? If not, more than likely the previous owner just didn't clean them often enough. I clean my cats ears each time I give them a bath, and it usually only takes about 2-3 Q-tips. The one time I did have to use that many Q-tips on Walter every week, he had a yeast infection that was easily cleared up with medication.

bath time went great for her she was bit dirty water turned brown after yuck!
My boy, Nelson, always turns the bath water brown! He's such a pig pen.

2. What kinda shampoo should I use
I use Dawn dishwashing liquid. I've also used J&J Baby shampoo.

3. Should I be useong flea and tick stuff if she's an only pet but she will be going aorund my cousins dogs
You can use topical flea drops on her if needed, but if you do, ONLY use drops from a veterinarian. DO NOT use the kind you can get over the counter as they can be toxic! For what it's worth, I've never seen a single flea on my four naked cats...

4. Wet food or dry ? Sorry my first cat
Definitely will want to give wet food, IMO. Your choice if you want to give a high quality dry kibble as well (depends on your budget!). The reason? Cats require a lot of moisture in their diets, and often don't drink enough water. An all dry food diet can cause chronic constipation, and other health problems. Wet food is an easy way to ensure your cat is getting water in her diet.

5.how offen does she get a bath ? 2x a week?
This really depends on your cat, but 2x a week is probably too often. Bathing too often will strip her of her natural oils and dry out her skin. You'll have to be the judge on this one, but mine get a bath every 1.5 - 2 weeks, except for Helen who NEVER requires a bath, ever! She just doesn't get dirty!

6. Clothes are they oh k ?
Yes! ...and they are pretty darn cute, too. If you're cold, chances are your kitty is cold, too, and might like to wear a sweater.

7. Do cats start to claw at things young ? How do I stop it ?
It's a natural and necessary behavior for cats to claw at things. You don't want to stop this behavior completely - you just want to make sure she is clawing at the right things! Definitely invest is some scratching posts and scratching toys. You might have to try a few different kinds to see what she prefers. And then get some deterrent spray or some double stick tape to keep her off the things you don't want her to scratch. Praise her when she uses her scratchers and stop her when she's scratching your furniture. This can be tough, my couch is shredded...there will be some training here. Hopefully she's a quick learner!

How much food ? I was told 4x a day but that seems a bit much to me ?!
I feed 2 times a day, morning and night. Feed the amount listed on the container of food, according to her weight to maintain a healthy size.

9.if you don't fix a female cat what happens ? I know males spray , no I don't want to breed bt I need to know becuase I want to wait till tax time and I need to know what to wathcing out for.
If she is 5 months old now, by the time you're ready to have her spayed, she will have probably already had her first heat cycle. You'll probably know when that happens, she will be more vocal, and act differently. Too many unused heat cycles are dangerous for a cat, (google "pyometra") so it's good that you're planning to have her spayed soon.

10. Tips for owning a Sphynx??
Be prepared to have this little ball of wrinkled flesh next to you at all times! They are full of energy, full of fun, love to play, very outgoing. They're not like any other cats. They love their humans, they love companionship. They don't like to be alone, or ignored, so expect her to try to "help" you with everything you do! Prepare to laugh and love.

Welcome to your new obsession!
:BigSmile:

There's tons of information here on the forum. Just about anything you can think of, we've probably talked about. So, that search feature at the top will be your new best friend! Or, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help!
Can't wait to see pictures.

Kioana

Lairian
Welcome back! Congrats on your new kitten, and yes, it sounds like you got a great deal!

yes I did

yea I'm going to take her in to the vet in the morning .
But she's not shakin or messing with her ears just don't think they cleaned them
she seemed happy when I was cleaning them as if it felt good :)

you gave some gooood tips thanks !
Ill have to post her pics soon ! :)

PitRottMommy

Banned
1. How "dirty" should they be ? I used 10 q-tips for each ear and it was thick blk stuff.
Since you already know that this pet was not well cared for, you need to have an ear swab analysis performed to ensure your new girl doesn't have ear mites. Otherwise, for the first few days, flush her ears daily. After the first week, continue to flush the ears weekly and clean the visible parts with a q-tip. Don't ever swab where you cannot see.

2. What kinda shampoo should I use?
I use Dawn. This will be especially useful for a companion that is nasty dirty. Some cats have oilier skin than others, Dawn works well for those with oily skin or for owners who don't want to bathe their cats every few days to every week. I bathe my cats every 2-4 weeks.

3. Should I be using flea and tick stuff if she's an only pet but she will be going around my cousins dogs.
FTP is generally not necessary. Unlike Brooke, I've seen 3 fleas on my pets before. I worry less about the cats and more about my dogs (who have hair). As long as the dog is on a quality preventative, you shouldn't see any fleas. If you do, bathe in Dawn. If you continue to see problems, apply Frontline. This is one of the best preventatives for cats that receive baths because its water tight. There is no justifiable proof that any sphynx have had reactions to flea/tick preventatives that veterinarians recommend. The stuff sold at pet and grocery stories that contain permethrin/pyrethrins can cause chemical burns, or worse, seizures and death in your companion. Do NOT use these products.

4. Wet food or dry? I do not recommend a total diet of wet food for pets. It's best to use it for supplementation to increase the intake of moisture. Raw is the best choice all around for dental, and overall, health.

5.how offen does she get a bath ? This depends on the cat. Start out weekly and modify it accordingly. For the first few weeks she may require more baths because she was initially very dirty.

6. Clothes are they oh k ? Clothing is awesome. Especially sweaters, if you have a chilly home.

7. Do cats start to claw at things young ? Some pets do, some don't. If yours starts to claw, trim her nails every 3 days or apply Soft Paws. I highly recommend NOT having cats declawed. Its inhumane and literally involves cutting the tip of each toe o-f-f.

How much food ? Feed, at maximum, twice a day. Free feeding sphynx usually wind up obese. A 10 pound cat usually eats under a cup per day. If you elect to use raw, most of them eat less than 1/4 pound of food per day.

9.if you don't fix a female cat what happens ? You need to have this girl spayed. Especially since you don't know her history. If you haven't had any experience with what a female in heat does, look it up on Youtube.com. In addition, one of the biggest threats to intact females is pyometra (google it), which is a uterine infection. The BEST pets are SEXUALLY ALTERED!

10. Tips for owning a Sphynx?? Consider having your companion screened for heart disease every 1-2 years. This breed is predisposed to heart problems and the prognosis is much better if its diagnosed before symptoms begin.

Kioana

Lairian
Raw- I feed my dogs raw but I'm just starting with them. Not even 3 weeks just getting into bone

females- I've had female dogs in heat but I thought there was a difference

the lady the that I got her from had been feeding her an all wet diet I didn't think that was right,

declawing- yes I've seen and helped before then had to take care of them after so I know what it's all about . I used to work as a vet tech still hang out with alot of techs and talk alot of the vets :) but I dint think it's for me . So that's why I asked how to stop it before it's started

do you guys use spray bottels? Do they work? LoL being that they are so used of water

Thank you to all that replied good tips !

Brooke

Banned
Raw- I feed my dogs raw but I'm just starting with them. Not even 3 weeks just getting into bone
That's great! I feed my cats a complete raw diet, too. When feeding cats raw, it's essential that they get the proper levels of taurine for eye and heart health. It's a bit trickier for cats on a raw diet than for dogs. For that reason, I choose to feed a commercial frozen raw diet (of muscle meat, organ meat, ground bones, and supplements) available at many local natural pet food stores. Are you making your dogs' food yourself or do you buy it pre-made?

There is a difference - female cats in heat don't bleed like dogs in heat do, but she will likely become more affectionate, roll around on the ground and lift her bottom up, and make a lot of noise. Watch her carefully when she's in heat, because she may try harder to get outside.

the lady the that I got her from had been feeding her an all wet diet I didn't think that was right,
This is a subject of great debate! You'll find people that will only feed wet, others will say only feed dry...before I started my cats on the raw diet, I was feeding a mixture of both wet and dry. Dry in the morning, dry and wet in the evening. Most important is finding a premium quality food without fillers. Search this forum for "food" as it has been a topic of many discussions, and you'll find tons of information and recommendations.

do you guys use spray bottels? Do they work? LoL being that they are so used of water
A lot of our members use spray bottles with great success! In fact, I might be the only one here that doesn't use them. I don't use them, because I want my cats to not be afraid of the water for their bath, so I chose not to use it as a deterrent. I don't want them to associate water with punishment. Then again, like I said in my earlier post - my couch is shredded...maybe using a water bottle might have saved my furniture! :LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
That's great! I feed my cats a complete raw diet, too. When feeding cats raw, it's essential that they get the proper levels of taurine for eye and heart health. It's a bit trickier for cats on a raw diet than for dogs. For that reason, I choose to feed a commercial frozen raw diet (of muscle meat, organ meat, ground bones, and supplements) available at many local natural pet food stores. Are you making your dogs' food yourself or do you buy it pre-made?

There is a difference - female cats in heat don't bleed like dogs in heat do, but she will likely become more affectionate, roll around on the ground and lift her bottom up, and make a lot of noise. Watch her carefully when she's in heat, because she may try harder to get outside.

This is a subject of great debate! You'll find people that will only feed wet, others will say only feed dry...before I started my cats on the raw diet, I was feeding a mixture of both wet and dry. Dry in the morning, dry and wet in the evening. Most important is finding a premium quality food without fillers. Search this forum for "food" as it has been a topic of many discussions, and you'll find tons of information and recommendations.

A lot of our members use spray bottles with great success! In fact, I might be the only one here that doesn't use them. I don't use them, because I want my cats to not be afraid of the water for their bath, so I chose not to use it as a deterrent. I don't want them to associate water with punishment. Then again, like I said in my earlier post - my couch is shredded...maybe using a water bottle might have saved my furniture! :LOL:

I agree with Brooke entirely on this reply.

A wet diet that is entirely all you feed does but 1 thing: Makes sure your pet gets fluid. For all purposes, you can offer no-sodium broth and get the same result. Kibble is better for dental health as far as removing some tartar from the teeth, but it is also a major contributor because it gets stuck in the teeth causing buildup. Raw is the only diet that you can assure yourself is not going to contain any questionable products for your companion. Both raw and kibble food companies like to put grains and other crap into the food that are not useful. If you offer cats raw bones, like you do dogs, their dental health will be wonderful, just the same. The majority of people on this forum do not feed raw...but Brooke and I are working on it. Unfortunately, there's a grand amount of knowledge that hasn't been spread regarding such as useful (and healthy diet). I can go into the benefits further, if you'd like to message me personally. I'm sure the forum is quiet tired of my broken record discussion--lol.

Kioana

Lairian
LOL

oh yea so your the raw person

Well i just started with the dogs and i'm still trying to get them settled so once i get them going good i'll change her over as well.

So far i'm still having mushy poop from the dogs so i'm working on it lol

Kioana

Lairian
What protein are you using and what did you switch from with their kibble?

mine wasn't taking to the bone at first too well so i had to stick with the chicken longer but now they are starting to go with it. Protein not sure what you mean? I've been cutting up cornish hens , chicken breast to start them off . a few fellow chihuahua owners have been helping thew the raw diet and this is how they started their chis off.

i changed from nutro & Timberwolf ( mine hated to have the same thing )

PitRottMommy

Banned
mine wasn't taking to the bone at first too well so i had to stick with the chicken longer but now they are starting to go with it. Protein not sure what you mean? I've been cutting up cornish hens , chicken breast to start them off . a few fellow chihuahua owners have been helping thew the raw diet and this is how they started their chis off.

i changed from nutro & Timberwolf ( mine hated to have the same thing )

Your protein choice appears to be chicken.

If you continue to see soft stool, try adding sweet potato or canned pumpkin to their diet. A switch away from kibble generally yields firmer poop. Unlike a switch from one kibble to another or from kibble to raw which often results in soft stool. Adding a fiber can help to bulk the stool up further and increases the amount of fluid the intestines pull off of the feces, which results in firmer poop.

Kioana

Lairian
Your protein choice appears to be chicken.

If you continue to see soft stool, try adding sweet potato or canned pumpkin to their diet. A switch away from kibble generally yields firmer poop. Unlike a switch from one kibble to another or from kibble to raw which often results in soft stool. Adding a fiber can help to bulk the stool up further and increases the amount of fluid the intestines pull off of the feces, which results in firmer poop.

NICE! GREAT TIP thanks again :ThumbsUp:
so is it just sweet potato cooked out cut up and give it to them ? The pumpkin just add it with their chicken ? i was told to wait till they have firm poop them i can start changing them over to other meats.

PitRottMommy

Banned
NICE! GREAT TIP thanks again :ThumbsUp:
so is it just sweet potato cooked out cut up and give it to them ? The pumpkin just add it with their chicken ? i was told to wait till they have firm poop them i can start changing them over to other meats.

Nope. You can give it raw. That's the point of raw, after all, isn't it? :)

My boys eat raw veggies like they're candy. Start with the canned pumpkin, if you can, because it's a tad on the sweet side. Otherwise, you can boil sweet potatoes, drain and mash if you have them on hand. Try them raw first, as some pets love veggies and fruits in their natural form.

Back