Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fleas and treatments

holly_savage

Banned
SO Hibou is sitting on my lap and I see this little reddish brown bug crawling over her back...I catch it but it jumps away before I could squish it!

So my question to all of you sphynx folks, does anyone use flea treatments for their SPhynxes? I used to use Program(oral liquid) on my old haired cat, is this safe for SPhynx?

NOw I am just itching allover...I HATE FLEAS!!!!!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
ewww I hate'em too! I don't use a treatment "on" Snuffie but I've treated my home. I'm too paranoid to use anything on her so when I had our new house sprayed for our ant issue (I almost hate them just as much), I had them take care of any fleas that may have been in here as well. It was my understanding the previous person who lived here had several dogs and from the looks of the carpet we tore out I doubt she bothered to treat her dogs so I just treated the house and yard.

Still batteling ants a tiny bit but we haven't had any fleas as of yet. *knocks on wood*

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
AH Fleas are one of my phobias! I use Advantage multi on all the fur animals, nothing on the furless. My vet said I could use it on the hairless too, but I put it on Jilli once and it was an oily MESS. I don't think fleas will live long without a host, and I didn't think they could live on the nekkies, maybe she found one outside?

Inferno12

Banned
Are there more than one? I dont think they can live on the naked kitties?? I could be wrong though. Fleas are NASY :Badly::Badly::Badly:

Does Hibou go outside? Maybe thats where it came from. I dont really have much to offer other than support. I hope you get it figure out QUICK :Surprise::Surprise:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not use any flea stuff on my sphynxs.
I was told by many breeders never to use it on a hairless cat.

holly_savage

Banned
yes I do let her outside, but the bad thing is it has been about a week since she's been out!

I think I am going to call the vet tomorrow morning and email the breeder tonight...in case she has any thoughts on it!

Now the itching I am having could also be from the fact that I was at aquafit tonight and the amount of chlorine in those public pools is super high!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I haven't been able to figure out how to link back to a thread yet, but Holly did you see Dragynflye's comment in the pet product review section regarding Thera Neem? It sounds like neem has natural repellent properties.

dragynflye:
Re: Wow...I am so impressed with Thera Neem Organic Pet Shampoo!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
neem is also an awesome insect repellent. while i've never tried this particular shampoo, i use neem products on all my animals to keep them free of fleas, ticks, mites, mosquitoes....

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
when i took bronxe to the er a few weeks back for his odd personality, which ended up being him getting ahold of a medicine in the house, the first thing this one vet asked was if i had given him flea treatment. i thought her question was SUPER odd- but apparently thats the type of reaction your pet would have if they got ahold of it.
i personally wouldn't treat my sphynx but would, as pp said, treat the house. my in laws use some sort of lavander mix spray. it's a homeopathic solutation.

and ditto on the bugs. i HATE ANY bug- ESP ANTS! ugh!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow! I always wandered about fleas and naked cats! I always asumed they couldn't get them coz fleas wouldn't stay on them without them having the furr to hold onto........ but I guess if there was one lurking about it may have a little nibble on the skin!!!

Frontline Spray. Comes in a big bottle, 250 or 500ml. Very easy to apply and isn't greasy like the regular spot-on stuff. Very safe for animals 8 weeks and up although I've put it on baby rats for mites before and they've all been fine.

I've been using it on Baron once a month and he does well with it. I do it again before a show just in case.

jezebel

Lairian
hi just found a flea on jezebel. iv frontlined the great dane and british shorthair but what do i do about jezebel? i get uncle albert in 3 wks a tortie kiten spynx. now im worried. do you flea them or just bath them cus flea dont like water.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pretty sure that my breeder says no to flea treatment on nakedkids....but you can bomb your house and if you have any more then bomb again of course remove all animals and maybe just a regular bath for kitties, and a flea bath if you have other pets.

shunterx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just went through a flea epidemic and didn't put a single thing on Osiris. Gave him a goooood looooong scrubbing with his baby wash, and treated my home more than I treated him.

stefanie412

Lairian
The only time I ever had a problem with my Fluffy having fleas was when I had roomies with furry pets. I bought all of them flea medication and once they were treated the fleas didn't feel the need to jump on my naked kitty. I think they prefer the furry animals and really only go on the hairless ones if there is an infestation. So, if you have furry pets, try treating them first before putting flea meds on your naked babies.

Back