Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flight Time ✈️️ taking my sphynx on a plane

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi! Thought I'd post my first flight experience with Astrid for others to reference. This will be the first of many flights so I will keep updating if need be. If you have any questions just ask. :)
So let's break this down:
Carrier: SHERPA original deluxe carrier
Why This Company: They have agreements with certain airlines to guarantee the bag is allowed on. IF you are denied travel due to the bag, the company will pay for the flight and pet fee, but you need to fill out an online form before your flight.
The Bag: It has supports along all edges, a replaceable Sherpa lining, the mesh is plastic-sealed that keeps it well vented and it opens from the top and the front. It's super light with shoulder straps and a removable crossbody strap. Sadly it only has one pocket. Thankfully, Astrid loves it :)
At the airport: (I flew with West Jet so some of the information is applicable only to them)
Checking in: Had to go through the guest service desk.
This was really easy: the standard check in. The only difference was the pet carrier had to be looked at.
Security: No leash and the carrier needs to go through the x-ray first.
Security was easy, but Astrid couldn't have her leash and harness on. The only problem was when she saw her carrier come through; she started flailing to get back into it. So in the future, her carrier will go first.
Boarding area: Had to take some blankets out, but overall went well.
The airport was hot so I took out some blankets. Astrid was way too hot! After, she slept; I pet her a bit and gave her a treat. She had no interest in getting out of the bag.
On the plane: Board early
If you have a pet, you get to pre-board. This was useful because it was a little tricky to manoeuvre the carrier under the seat without tipping it. Putting Astrid under the seat was the only time she meowed and that is because I accidentally sent her flying backwards by tipping the bag too far. She had to be under the seat for takeoff and landing BUT the bag can be pulled out once in flight but it must stay on the floor and zipped up.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A picture of Astrid in her carrier :)
IMG_0847.jpg

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi! Thought I'd post my first flight experience with Astrid for others to reference. This will be the first of many flights so I will keep updating if need be. If you have any questions just ask. :)
So let's break this down:
Carrier: SHERPA original deluxe carrier
Why This Company: They have agreements with certain airlines to guarantee the bag is allowed on. IF you are denied travel due to the bag, the company will pay for the flight and pet fee, but you need to fill out an online form before your flight.
The Bag: It has supports along all edges, a replaceable Sherpa lining, the mesh is plastic-sealed that keeps it well vented and it opens from the top and the front. It's super light with shoulder straps and a removable crossbody strap. Sadly it only has one pocket. Thankfully, Astrid loves it :)
At the airport: (I flew with West Jet so some of the information is applicable only to them)
Checking in: Had to go through the guest service desk.
This was really easy: the standard check in. The only difference was the pet carrier had to be looked at.
Security: No leash and the carrier needs to go through the x-ray first.
Security was easy, but Astrid couldn't have her leash and harness on. The only problem was when she saw her carrier come through; she started flailing to get back into it. So in the future, her carrier will go first.
Boarding area: Had to take some blankets out, but overall went well.
The airport was hot so I took out some blankets. Astrid was way too hot! After, she slept; I pet her a bit and gave her a treat. She had no interest in getting out of the bag.
On the plane: Board early
If you have a pet, you get to pre-board. This was useful because it was a little tricky to manoeuvre the carrier under the seat without tipping it. Putting Astrid under the seat was the only time she meowed and that is because I accidentally sent her flying backwards by tipping the bag too far. She had to be under the seat for takeoff and landing BUT the bag can be pulled out once in flight but it must stay on the floor and zipped up.
Very informative, thank you for sharing.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for sharing, that's great info :)

HazeB

Lairian
Thanks for the info! But, forgive me for my ignorance, how do you manage poop/ pee? My daughter had a travel potty contraption for poops on the run when she was small but what do you do for a cat? :ROFLMAO:

NerdyBirdy

Lairian
Thanks for sharing! I'm posting to follow along for any more bits of wisdom from people who travel with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the info! But, forgive me for my ignorance, how do you manage poop/ pee? My daughter had a travel potty contraption for poops on the run when she was small but what do you do for a cat?
They can "hold it" for quite a while if they don't have access to a litter box. You can also take a shoe box with litter in it if the travel time is extra long. I just used the family rest room at our layover and kit used the shoe box.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@HazeB Good question :) I did not have to, it is a short flight thankfully. I brought a dog pee pad just in case and had a disposable litter box in the truck for the ride to the airport (two and a half hours). She did not need to go until I got home. Total travel time was four and a bit hours by my rough math.
I do not know if it would ever be a problem for Astrid, she lasted an eight hour or so period when I got her, and even when offered a litter box, she did not have to go.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Thunderheader like through security? She started shaking a little bit when the officer behind the metal detector started talking to me, but that did not last long as she saw her carrier and started to try and wiggle to it. She did not seem to be in distress, though.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used a Sherpa carrier as well to bring Max from Prince George to Vancouver. We had an extra wait too, but all went well.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Another plane trip! This time with Astrid as my personal item, and a small suitcase as my carry on. Apparently that is allowed,at least with West Jet. So we will see lol.
Miss Astrid is getting to be a pro. This will be flight number four. The only thing she doesn't like is the extra screening at the airport: like the swabbing. She doesn't like strangers approaching her human. They don't let you put the kitty in the kennel before they swab hands. So she flails and tries to escape to her bag lol thankfully it has only happened once, so we will see what happens today.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Safe travels!!!

Maybe Astrid should get a tour of the cockpit, eek just kidding, a sphynx near all the shiny lights and buttons....might cause some turbulence ;)

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
And of course had extra security today, seemed like anyone who looks under the age of 30 was being screened with the wand and mini pat down on spots that beep. Atleast they let Astrid go in her kennel first! Probably the easiest time to get her into her kennel, normally she has to be semi stuffed in lol

Reactions: Mal

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Flight went well :) Astrid doesn't feel like cuddling so she migrated to the flood lol
IMG_2985.JPG