Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flora & Zodiac babies due in january

gizmo6370

Banned
Do you have any hairy males at home? Is she an outcross or anything? Well, I suppose that genetics truly are a mysterious thing! Kisses and cuddles to Flora and her kitten.

Nope i don't....and no she is not....she should have been bald...just like mom and dad :Smile:

gizmo6370

Banned
OH,,,yea I'd certainly email the breeder too. Maybe great grandma's genes slipped through since she only had one baby.

I mend the breeder of the boy...Flora's mom and sister had litters before...and they all where bald....so i see no reason why Flora shouldn't have bald kitty's :Smile:
I'm going of to bed...tired...have had enough for today...

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Congrats! I wonder if her fur will fall out as she grows? It will be interesting to watch her grow up! I guess now you know what the hairy cat breeders felt like when they got a naked baby, lol

It will be intersting to see her grow up!! Funny @ now you know what hairy cat breeders felt like when they got a naked baby..lol

Shauntay

Banned
Likely Flora and her mate are both heterozygotes for the Re gene. (the Devon Rex gene)
It is recessive so both parents have to carry a copy of the gene. The Hr/Re genes are on the same chromosone, just different alleles. So basically I'm pretty sure your beautiful furry baby is a genetic Devon Rex :] There is now a dna test available to ascertain if our Sphynx are TRUE sphynx and homozygous for the Hr gene. Maybe should use some looking into :) If you want links to the articles pertaining this genetic discovery or the lab who performs the test, just pm me :) Beautiful little baby, congrats!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I find the genetics of this unexpected event intriguing. Please keep us posted on both the kitten's development and what you learn. Have you named this special girl yet?

gizmo6370

Banned
I find the genetics of this unexpected event intriguing. Please keep us posted on both the kitten's development and what you learn. Have you named this special girl yet?

Me too....as soon as i know more...i will share....
For now....on Zodiac's moms side there is outcross.....and i checked Zodiac's dna test again...and it says that he carries a gene for long hair...so this brings us a bit closer...i guess....
But it's still weird....for what i understood...bald x bald gives bald :Dizzy:

gizmo6370

Banned
2 pics of today :Smile:

KittenFloraDay2.jpg

KittenFloraDay2-1.jpg

Back