Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Flying Pets Across Borders

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I'm flying a puppy from Charlotte North Carolina to Calgary Alberta(Canada) in April, and I've only done in country flights before. Has anyone experienced any problems or major delays flying their animals from country to country? My other option is to fly down there myself and get her, and fly back, but hooooly that's an expensive day trip! If I can even do it in a day! It's a 6-8hr flight as is.
Any experience in this department, it would be awesome to hear your first hand. I'm pretty nervous about it!

holly_savage

Banned
Hi Lucyfurr, I have gotten both my Sphynxes from NC. The first time I flew to NC to pick her up and the second time I had her flown to me. Now keep in mind that I live in Ontario, but driove to Buffalo Airport (so much simplaer than Pearson Int`l) I call the border people and (for cats at least) all that was required was the bill of sale showing the amount you have paid for the animal and proof of Rabies vaccination.
They will charge you duty on the purchase price (between 10 and 15%). SO both times, I walked the cat into Canada Customs at the border and was in and out very quickly. Customs at the airport is just as simple, I am just not sure how the process works with importing pets. She was waiting for us at the baggage claim area. Each airline carrier has a little office in that section and they handed the cat over...after that you would just have to go to Canada Customs.

You should call Canada Customs, to make sure you have all the required documents when it comes to dogs é puppies, just in case they have different requiremnts.

Good Luck.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
Oh thank you! It's good to hear that it was an easy transition! Hopefully mine goes just as smoothly. I'll be calling customs ASAP!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have very little experience with customs but you might want to stretch the rules. I'm not encouraging you to break the law but the law is meant for imports and exports like cars, electronics, booze, tobacco and souvenirs and not animals up for adoption. So any money you may spend on your new puppy can be attributed to an "adoption fee" and not a sale. It's just something to think about.

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I have very little experience with customs but you might want to stretch the rules. I'm not encouraging you to break the law but the law is meant for imports and exports like cars, electronics, booze, tobacco and souvenirs and not animals up for adoption. So any money you may spend on your new puppy can be attributed to an "adoption fee" and not a sale. It's just something to think about.
Actually that's very true, I use to do that with my non CITIES reptiles, either a gift or an adoption fee. Cause it's true, they're not a material thing really. And with a dog of that price, that 10-15% would be much better towards puppy classes and a crap load of toys!!

My Amaryllis was flown from Detroit to Toronto. Customs was a breeze. Make sure puppy has her rabies vaccinations. You should bring with you your contract or anything you have showing proof of purchase price. I did not know all of these things when I went to pick her up and did not have any paperwork so they let me sign an affidavit with purchase price. I just had to put sellers name and address down. I had to pay duties to customs and I had to pay the airline a pickup fee of like $35 bucks.