Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Hello nudies!

I have a question of frequency of flying/healthy. flights all under 4 hours

1st flight march- unmedicated, antsy, nervous, apparent hyperventilation
2nd flight may/3rf flight july- both medicated (gabapantin), drowsy ish, sleep but some disturbance and moderate hyperventilation
possible last flight for this year for the holidays

is there any concern as to how many times they should fly/take medicine? she is very attached and needy, not sure if she or I hate it more when I travel without her. However, her health trumps this. Please share any advise/thoughts on this.

thank you all in advance!

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n head smooches, surely members will chime in ... you can use the top search box upper right for key words, flying, traveling, etc for perhaps some prior posts

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have never flown with our pets, but we have traveled across the US twice and moved several times with our cats. Only two of our cats were really stressed with travel, and they hated even short trips. Sadie would pee all over herself, and Sydney would just shake and shake. If your baby is falling in that category, it just may be better for her for you to find a really good pet sitter, maybe one who can stay at your house with her, so she doesn’t have to be subjected to the stress of travel.
I don’t think that gabapentin is dangerous for the cat when you use it only a few times a year, but your vet will know about that.
You might want to try harness training her, and taking her for car trips around your town to desensitize her to travel too. Good Luck!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would say gabapentin or Benadryl a few times of year is ok, just ask your vey for appropriate dosing and frequency.

I’ve flown once with mine, and she did well and didn’t need medicated, so I’m not sure how to advise for a nervous kitty.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need