Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food allergies when to see difference?

DannieCheri

Lairian
Hello again! I posted a while ago about Violet’s allergy rash, I’m happy to say she has significantly improved! But I still have some questions and the vet isn’t leaving me totally convinced of his answers..

Everything I’ve read (and was originally told by my vet 2 weeks ago) about food allergies say it will be a minimum of 4-6weeks after a complete food change over before you see improvement with skin reactions. Violet’s rash was nearly completely gone when she was only 75% switched over to the new food (about 5/6 days) which leaves me skeptical that’s what it was.

We did switch her to a hypoallergenic litter a few days before the food switch over (litter was my gut feeling that caused the allergy after much research) It’s hard because I can’t go in with her and explain everything at the vet but it seems like he won’t even listen to me saying it might have been the litter and just wants to keep her on the prescription hypoallergenic food.

If she really does need this food of course I will keep her on it, but it doesn’t make sense to keep her on an expensive prescription food if she doesn’t actually need it. I may get a second opinion from another vet but for now just looking for others opinions and possibly views from other cat parents who have delt with food allergies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My kitty has allergies, she got a allergy test which shows the things and foods she’s allergic too! Binkys allergies just started out the blue with no reason as she had the same litter, food, shampoo since she was a kitty! Binkys immune system was low due to having a few issues and as she got better from them the allergies started! It was the litter to begin with then her food! She eats hypo allergic food and uses clay litter now which suits her! I find it was trial and error! Am sorry you feel your vet isn’t listening to you, my vet and the dermatologist vet have been so supportive and I email the dermatologist every few weeks about Binky as we are slowly reducing her meds! Xx

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’m not sure if my Raphael has allergies but she developed spots. I had her checked by the vet. She gave her an antihistamine shot. I switched out her litter and after two days her spots are gone.

My kitty also eats the expensive vet cat food. High fibre dry and wet and dental dry. My kitty has anal gland issues. When I was getting the new kitty litter I checked the store bought cat food for the fibre content. Unfortunately the store bought fibre is not as high a percentage as the vet one. I’m hoping the new litter will be the only change I need to make.

My vet told me that allergies can show up in cats when they are around three years old. Raphael turned 3 in April.

If you have lost confidence in your vet you should find a new vet. Otherwise you will be constantly second guessing the vet and you need to be able to trust them.

It really is hard because these aren’t just barn cats, we have all paid good money for them. Plus they are so much more loveable than barn cats!

DannieCheri

Lairian
Thank-you both for your input! I’m trying to stay level headed but I’ve just been so overwhelmed the past few weeks, we’re dealing with having to make end of life plans for my sick senior pupper and this flare up with violet while stuck under quarantine. It’s hard for me to tell if I’m overreacting with my stress levels so high so I very much value the input of others!

My family has used the same vet for over 20 years, all our animals go there and they have always treated us very well. I even used to volunteer there when I was younger. This last year they even had a special needs donskoy as one of their clinic cats so I’ve been pretty trusting in their experience with my sphynx’s.

This last bout with Violet has just been exceptionally tough since only the animals are allowed in the clinic right now and they only call you to talk if they need your permission for a procedure or have questions about something. I’ve been trying to understanding and extra helpful by writing down notes on what’s been happening, what works, what doesn’t, ect. But today it didn’t even seem like they read the whole thing, it was only a post-it so not that long. When the vet tech brought her out after the check she told me just keep using the wipes, even thought the 3rd point I wrote on the note said she had a severe reaction to them and they already told me to stop using them.

I’m just frustrated and tired of the whole situation and nervous to try to find another vet for a second opinion while everything here is shut down :(

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless you, don’t be too hard on yourself, lockdown is stressful and I am so sorry about what your dealing with with end of life plans for your pupper.

do you use the wipes for cleaning her, if it is maybe just wash her with Luke warm water and a cloth. I use a allergy shampoo recommend from the vet but not sure you can get it in Canada! You can make up your mind when the lock down is lifted if you want to stay with vet as it’s you that pays the bill at the end of the day! I think my Binky will be eating the food forever as this is the best she’s been! Does violet take medication for her allergies? She looks well in her picture from what she was! Sending you love from Glasgow {=

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here is a picture of what I use when I bathe my kitty. She gets a bath around once a month. I usually wash her face and neck with warm water on a facecloth every day. I also clean her ears every day.

I got the Vetoquinol Care from my vet.

Sure would be nice if cats could talk!
5D160B8B-155A-4896-ADB7-41CFE48E5AC1.jpeg

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:0 I know it would be great if they could tell us! Yeah think it should be fine! Just be careful cleaning the ears everyday! When I went to the dermatologist he said kitty’s with allergies tend to have dirty and itchy ears. I was cleaning her ears all the time which caused an infection as the ear solution had gathered in her ear! We live and learn Xxx

Last edited:

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Binky uses this shampoo now! Which seems to work for her! It’s honestly been trial and error for, been almost a year and we are now reducing medication! She had a flare up a few months ago so had to go back on steroids for a while and slowly reduced it to half a one every 2nd day and takes atopica and stopped cerenia tablet! Fingers crossed it’s been working! Xx

Attachments

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Everything I’ve read (and was originally told by my vet 2 weeks ago) about food allergies say it will be a minimum of 4-6weeks after a complete food change over before you see improvement with skin reactions. Violet’s rash was nearly completely gone when she was only 75% switched over to the new food (about 5/6 days) which leaves me skeptical that’s what it was.
Well, it's great that Violet's skin has gotten so much better. This is very good news.

When there's a change of food, a lot of cats have improvement right away. However, it COULD take weeks for everything to resolve. Just a theory but your vet may have just been wanting to make sure you gave it enough time. Vets know some people give up too soon....if they change their cat's food and after 3 days if the symptoms persist, they'll be like "oh well that didn't work." So if you're a vet maybe you compensate for that by telling people to give it a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Just a theory but I can see it.

If you ask me, it's not bad that you changed both the food and the litter because that was the fastest path to get rid of the problem. If you had changed one and waited to do the other one, it could have prolonged the rash. So no regrets there.

Now I guess the question is whether it would be OK to go back to the other food. I would be careful with that considering everything else going on......lockdown, your senior pupper. That's stressful enough if you ask me. Isn't it nice not to have to worry about Violet too? My 2 cents only but I wouldn't mess with her food right now. Maybe later, and even then you might want to try something other than what she was on before.

DannieCheri

Lairian
Bless you, don’t be too hard on yourself, lockdown is stressful and I am so sorry about what your dealing with with end of life plans for your pupper.

do you use the wipes for cleaning her, if it is maybe just wash her with Luke warm water and a cloth. I use a allergy shampoo recommend from the vet but not sure you can get it in Canada! You can make up your mind when the lock down is lifted if you want to stay with vet as it’s you that pays the bill at the end of the day! I think my Binky will be eating the food forever as this is the best she’s been! Does violet take medication for her allergies? She looks well in her picture from what she was! Sending you love from Glasgow {=

The vet gave us Malacetic wipes to use on the rash

After 2 days of using them it only got worse and the 3rd day she completely flipped out when it touched her like it hurt, trying to get away, wincing, drooling Profusely.. which was in complete contrast to her personality, most of the time she will just sit nice on the table or couch to have her face cleaned I do t even have to towel burrito her.

I called the vet and we immediately stopped using them and switched back to just warm water and a little coconut oil so her skin didn’t get so dry

As far as shampoo we just use Johnson’s baby shampoo and renewed pet sensitive hairless shampoo (that one is a little more hydrating)

And no I the vet hasn’t given her any allergy specific meds, I have given her 5mg Zyrtec/Reactine tablets before to help with the mild allergies that have popped up in the past

DannieCheri

Lairian
Well, it's great that Violet's skin has gotten so much better. This is very good news.

When there's a change of food, a lot of cats have improvement right away. However, it COULD take weeks for everything to resolve. Just a theory but your vet may have just been wanting to make sure you gave it enough time. Vets know some people give up too soon....if they change their cat's food and after 3 days if the symptoms persist, they'll be like "oh well that didn't work." So if you're a vet maybe you compensate for that by telling people to give it a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Just a theory but I can see it.

If you ask me, it's not bad that you changed both the food and the litter because that was the fastest path to get rid of the problem. If you had changed one and waited to do the other one, it could have prolonged the rash. So no regrets there.

Now I guess the question is whether it would be OK to go back to the other food. I would be careful with that considering everything else going on......lockdown, your senior pupper. That's stressful enough if you ask me. Isn't it nice not to have to worry about Violet too? My 2 cents only but I wouldn't mess with her food right now. Maybe later, and even then you might want to try something other than what she was on before.
Thank-you, that makes a lot of sense how you explained it! I’m obviously not a vet and I think there just has been a lot of miscommunication with me not being allowed in during lockdown to have a back and forth discussion on what’s going on.. I’ve definitely cooled down and been able to look at things more objectively since yesterday.. I also realized I had a migraine coming on yesterday which left me quite irritable/crazy lol

We’re definitely going to take the food slow at this point and see where things go, the most important thing to me is that she is doing well right now. The last thing I want is to be back at square one and her be miserable again

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just one more thing since I read above that you use Johnson's baby shampoo....

A cat's Ph is different from a human and so baby shampoo is not ideal. Now I know some people use Johnson's baby shampoo, and if their cat is fine then OK, but since Violet has issues you might want to reconsider. For what it's worth I use Earthbath hypoallergenic shampoo and other members here use Hylyt which I believe is also hypoallergenic.

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also realized I had a migraine coming on yesterday which left me quite irritable/crazy lol
Oh I used to get migraines so I feel for you. For me they got better as I aged so it's kind of like one step forward and one back, but just look at the positive side :)

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The vet gave us Malacetic wipes to use on the rash

After 2 days of using them it only got worse and the 3rd day she completely flipped out when it touched her like it hurt, trying to get away, wincing, drooling Profusely.. which was in complete contrast to her personality, most of the time she will just sit nice on the table or couch to have her face cleaned I do t even have to towel burrito her.

I called the vet and we immediately stopped using them and switched back to just warm water and a little coconut oil so her skin didn’t get so dry

As far as shampoo we just use Johnson’s baby shampoo and renewed pet sensitive hairless shampoo (that one is a little more hydrating)

And no I the vet hasn’t given her any allergy specific meds, I have given her 5mg Zyrtec/Reactine tablets before to help with the mild allergies that have popped up in the past

bless you did the right thing by Not using them if they hurt violet. As suggested you could try a hypo allergic shampoo! Maybe the vets thinking is by eliminating the things that they think violet is allergic to and change things has cleared up her skin without medication, which is great as that brings its own problems! I wish you well and take care, keep us updated{}