Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food Choices Overwhelming

HeatherNumber1

Lairian
I am a new mom to a beautiful bare girl and recently acquired a Bengal and rescue kitten. I want to feed my babies quality food but reading the labels on all the choices available has made me cross-eyed.

I'm currently feeding Nutro Max, but not sure if I should switch to another brand. I want to give them them best I can without spending hundreds of dollars a month.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@HeatherNumber1 I used to feed Royal Canin canned and dry and my sphynx cats had stomach issues. I knew that it was supposedly a good quality food, but after a long time I finally had switched to Science Diet Grain-Free and the difference in the stomach issues were like night and day. I also give them a spoonful of 100% Pure Pumpkin twice a day with their canned food.

It's important to give them canned food. I don't know if you are or just dry.

Chloe is adorable in your avatar photo. Please share more pics please.

Also, are you giving her L-Lysine? That's important too.

HeatherNumber1

Lairian
I was thinking of stopping by the small local pet shop and asking them about foods. I'm thinking they may be more knowledgeable then the employees at petsmart. I was feeding just dry, but after reading a few threads here I started wet. Just not sure if wet and dry brands should "match" or if I should use different brands.

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@HeatherNumber1 your breeder should have told you about the L-Lysine. Please don't get talked into buying Blue Buffalo for Chloe. Stay away from that brand altogether. I know that pet shops have tried their best to talk me into Blue Buffalo.

HeatherNumber1

Lairian
@HeatherNumber1 your breeder should have told you about the L-Lysine. Please don't get talked into buying Blue Buffalo for Chloe. Stay away from that brand altogether. I know that pet shops have tried their best to talk me into Blue Buffalo.

I have a question about that- since I also just acquired a Bengal- I've lurked on a Bengal forum, and I swear everyone there says to use blue buffalo, and I've seen a definite trend here to stay away from it. Do you have any idea why so many over there would be crazy for it when so many here think it's terrible?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a question about that- since I also just acquired a Bengal- I've lurked on a Bengal forum, and I swear everyone there says to use blue buffalo, and I've seen a definite trend here to stay away from it. Do you have any idea why so many over there would be crazy for it when so many here think it's terrible?

@HeatherNumber1 I just know sphynx ppl that have used Blue Buffalo and their cats didn't do well. Some always bled while on a Blue Buffalo diet. One of my breeders also told me to stay far away from Blue Buffalo as some of her customers reported horrible effects on their sphynx cats. That was enough info for me to stay far away from that food.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HeatherNumber1 , Years ago my 4 bengals didn't do well on blue buffalo

My adopted Bengal Macie does well on Fromm Game Bird recipe ( after several
food trials of different brands )

I started feeding her Fromm Game Bird last year after reading positive Bengal specific reviews too.

It's a good multi shaped Jack like kibble unlike many of the flat round pellet like food she would throw up.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Grain free, is the best way to go.
There are several great brands.
I agree about the Blue Buffalo.
Buy, the best, you can afford for 3 cats.
Nutro Max Cat.
If your cat's do good on it, and like it. Use it.
They, have canned also. My girl developed all
kinds of allergies. I can only feed certain foods.

Back