Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food crazy kitten

Westbroadwaybb

Lairian
My 7 month old kitten will eat absolutely anything that's left out, rip up empty paper bags that contained food, go through the garbage etc. Any tips?

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Westbroadwaybb I know some nakids are greedier than others by nature, but do you think it's because he or she is hungry? Do you freefeed dry food, or is it a raw diet? If it's just because your kitten is a real foodie, then I have no tips... just to keep food tidied away and bin bags removed asap! That's what we do with our youngest boy, who sounds a bit like yours.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Great advice given. How much food do you give them daily?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheZu

Lairian
Both my cats are on a raw diet, healthy weights, and they will eat ANYTHING. Missy will try anything once, and will eat virtually anything left out. Dude will try and eat literal garbage. I thought maybe we were the odd ones out, as I mostly hear about people's cat's being picky but mine remind me more of Dogs.

What we do is just not leave food out, do things like flip bowls and plates upside down in the sink, and sometimes we just let it slide if they get some table scraps and we know it isn't toxic to them. Missy after becoming a year old did cool down a little bit with getting into everything. She will get into any food, but she stopped trying to rip up bags and stuff like that. It was almost like she started to just learn if something had food or was food and she became less manic about it? Like she was no longer a detective that had to inspect every little thing that had come in contact with food in some way. Dude is almost five months, and he still gets into everything. Hoping he grows out of that part of it like his sister

Things that might help though, depending on how you're feeding, is to just split up the meals and feed more frequently so they don't have as big stretches between meals (if you aren't feeding). I'd also check to make sure they are a good weight and not extra hungry from being a bit underweight.