Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food for thought

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Food for thought. I am an advocate of this amazing breed and I believe in supporting responsible breeders and here are some guidelines to keep in mind when researching What to expect from a responsible sphynx breeder

There are no guarantees, but purchasing from a responsible breeder hopefully lessens chances of not only HCM, but many other issues, and responsible breeders are an amazing support system. Today we took our boy to the vet because he was shaking his head. I was right in guessing an ear infection...how does that randomly happen I have no idea lol. Drops for 2 weeks and he should be fine.

During our vet check, our vet shared he recently lost a 5 year old DSH. Said the cat let out a scream and literally dropped dead. Heart disease is not breed specific, just like with humans heart disease can happen to even world class athletes. HCM is a silent killer. If possible, get their heart scanned when turn a year old. If any issues, there are meds to help slow progression. It is not just about breeders being responsible, it is about us as caregivers to stay on top of wellness checks/scans knowing heart issues have become more prevalent. I also recommend looking into pet insurance.

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You are so right. Although Finn didn't technically have HCM, vigilance with regular vet visits/scans and adhering to a strict medication regiment is what kept him alive - with a very good quality of life I might add - for all those years despite having a serious, chronic condition. We also wouldn't have been able to afford the expensive medications (just one of the ones he took cost about $800 for a 10 week supply) and vet care had it not been for pet insurance. And yes, while HCM scans of breeding cats are no guarantee, it's the best we've got and it certainly speaks volumes about how responsible a breeder is.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@MyJezebel our vet visit and your post today made me feel the need to share this information. Your actions allowed your boy to have quality of life and yes quantity even though forever would never be long enough for any of us. Never rob yourself of the gift of “Finn”...he was hand picked...and delivered to not you, but your heart. You were out in front of everything...what a lucky boy and ohhhh what a lucky you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , healing vibes to Myshka

And a hug to your vet for the loss of their kitty
I know all to well the complication of HCM when my first Yoda suffered saddle thrombosis embolisms
and got her wings much too soon

Thank you for sharing the food for thought

I have 4 sphynx adoptees from various sources -love them to the moon and back
(I knew what I was getting into for the long haul with 3 of them having unknown backgrounds)
Interestly
the healthiest one has been the one adopted from the responsible breeder

Back