Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

food in eyes

Lukassmile

Lairian
HI there! so my Cleveland is 4 months old and was weaned onto raw after nursing. he eats like a pro, but afterwards he is a complete juicy mess. The weirdest part is he almost always has little slivers of the raw meat in his eyes. It is usually is the liver or the softer organ meat. like under his eyelids, and I have to fish the pieces out. He doesn't seem to mind it either, and his eyes never show signs of irritation except watery after I kind of rub them out with a few swiped(like how a mother cat would lick their kittens clean). usually I try and get it out asap so I don't have any photos of it, but the pieces are about as big as his actual eyelid

has anyone had this happen? do you think he will grow out of it? is there a better way to feed the raw? go they make kitten goggles? I try and flatten out the meat as much as possible so he isn't just sticking his head into a pile of raw meat. can this be harmful to him? I guess I'm just hoping no bones get in there. as soon as its healthy for him to have bone meal as a bone substitute I will switch him over, although I can imagine that makes the food grainy and could be worse if it gets in his eyes.

Lukassmile

Lairian
@Lukassmile what is the recipe you are using?
he came with a mixture of pork and chicken from his breeder, I don't know exactly what ratio and what parts from which animal though. my batch I made was all chicken(only thing i could find in my town): breast, heart, liver, and skinless neck in an 80-10-10 ratio. eventually when I get to NYC next week and have a greater variety of meats I will change it up cause I don't trust a lot of chicken(just a gut feeling I don't really have any real reasoning). but both batches have been in his eyes lmao its been happening since the day I got him.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OK. Chicken is fine, plus it's easy to find and economical. Unless you have a chicken allergy I wouldn't worry about it.

But - there is always a but - avoid plumped chicken. That's chicken that says it has been enhanced or it contains a solution. What it contains is high sodium because that is what they plump chicken with. So look for less than 100 mg of sodium.

Here is the Walmart Great Value brand of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Look at that sodium.

1617585664107.png

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've been buying chicken from Wild Fork Foods. You'd have to see if they ship where you are but EVERYTHING they sell is frozen which is perfect for us.

Here is the boneless skinless chicken thighs from Wild Fork (which by the way they are also antibiotic free). It's actually 105 mg of sodium but all things considered they are really good.

1617586286165.png

The ones from Walmart with the sodium solution cost $1.22/LB. The ones from Wild Fork without that mess cost $2.79/LB. Of course part of the cost difference is because the Walmart ones contain water.....they might be cheaper anyway but the extra water makes them seem even cheaper although you are partly paying for water.

Here is the link for Wild Fork Foods if you want to see if they ship to your city.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Lukassmile make sure the recipe contains a supplement. The supplement isn't optional. A lot of us here use Alnutrin. It comes for both food that has bones and food that does not have bones. The latter has calcium added. Either way just follow the directions on the package and you'll be fine.

Here is the link to Alnutrin:

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Lukassmile

Lairian
@Lukassmile make sure the recipe contains a supplement. The supplement isn't optional. A lot of us here use Alnutrin. It comes for both food that has bones and food that does not have bones. The latter has calcium added. Either way just follow the directions on the package and you'll be fine.

Here is the link to Alnutrin:
very very helpful thank you for the info!I had not even considered the plumped chicken...... and I will look into the supplement! I have never heard that they are essential. I thought a well balanced raw diet emulates the "natural" carnivorous diet appropriate for a cat so there is no need for supplements if done correctly. I will do my research I very much appreciate the knowledge. I love learning about biology and nutrition.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
very very helpful thank you for the info!I had not even considered the plumped chicken...... and I will look into the supplement! I have never heard that they are essential. I thought a well balanced raw diet emulates the "natural" carnivorous diet appropriate for a cat so there is no need for supplements if done correctly. I will do my research I very much appreciate the knowledge. I love learning about biology and nutrition.
Oh we're all here to share what we know! Right - the idea of the diet is to emulate the natural diet but we can't rotate foods enough to cover everything that a cat in the wild would eat. The other thing is that cats in the wild live to breed. Their lifespan is shorter than that of our little furry or furless friends. Of course we want our babies to live as long a life as possible. It's not a perfect correlation. With domestic cats we are treading new ground.

Back