Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food might have causes Ace's muscles tensing

StacyD

Lairian
So Ace, like many here, had firm but really stinky poops. I gradually switched him over to Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Sensitive Digestion Dry Adult Cat Food and the smell greatly improved. But one day he's on my lap & it looks like he struggling to breath perhaps. His shoulders kept tensing and releasing. And he would do this consistently when laying down. I brought him to the vet, got blood work, & no problems could be found. I had adopted him & owned him for maybe a year already, & I started to wondered if he had always done this when relaxing on my lap & I just never noticed, but I didn't think so. Then it dawned on me that I noticed him doing this shortly after changing to a different dry food. So I switched to Wellness and he's pretty much stopped the muscle tensing/releasing. Just wanted to share as I searched all over the internet and could find no exact likeness to his problem, & the vet was stumped as well. So maybe my experience might help someone else with a similar problem.

Sheldon13

Staff member
So strange! I wonder if he requires more of certain vitamins or minerals then he was getting in his previous food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LisaBrass

Lairian
@StacyD It’s a relief to see I’m not the only one who has had this question..I’ve been going bonkers. My boy, Zion just recently started doing this after switching his food from Grain- Free Instinct to Hills Science. He’s also lost a pound. Did you ever find out for sure if the tensing and food were related? Hope your babe is well

StacyD

Lairian
I thought I found the fix, but it turned up again. Ace seems healthy otherwise. But he still does it. That one type of food did seem to make it worse. But he still tenses and releases his muscles in his upper body, almost with a rhythm to it like with every breath or something. But he shows no signs of breathing problems. And he seems very coordinated as well. In fact, he is quite athletic and agile. I wish I had an answer for you. Maybe it is something in, or not in, the food.

LisaBrass

Lairian
Thank you for the update. I’m going to continue to research what this could be. I’m so stumped because Z is the same way.. full of energy and good bloodwork. I’ll make sure to share if I ever get it figured out.

Back