Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food prep - Better in the Raw (with Pix)

Janelle S

Lairian
I had to make up a batch of food for Cleo today so I thought I'd take pix of the process.

I use 1/2 cup powdered Better in the Raw with 1.5 cups of water. Then I add 2lbs of ground turkey (this time).

Then I mix it together (with my hands - I know, yuck, but it gets it well mixed) -

And put it in containers and bags for freezing. These each contain about 1/2 cup. I use the plastic bags for quick thaw.

We're set for awhile! :BigSmile:

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
yep thats how i do it, i put gloves on when i mix the Meat because i hate RAW MEAT ! LOL but i do this for my cats !
I put mine in about 2 oz portions and they get each 3 times a day fed .

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Me too, I going to try it for my dogs as soon as it comes in the mail

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How much do you feed and how often. I just started and have been giving Frank who is almost 1 year 3/4 cup and Luci who is 4 months a little less. But she wants more and acts like she is starving. Someone else told me to start her with more then give her less everyday until she is at 3/4 cups. I don't want to starve her but I DON'T want her fat

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lenore was eating 1/4 cup 2x daily, but she gained some weight, so now she gets 3/4 cup daily.

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How much do you feed and how often. I just started and have been giving Frank who is almost 1 year 3/4 cup and Luci who is 4 months a little less. But she wants more and acts like she is starving. Someone else told me to start her with more then give her less everyday until she is at 3/4 cups. I don't want to starve her but I DON'T want her fat
well they say on the packaging, feed your cat 3 to 4 % of their bodyweight ? And kittens under a year more , so i have been feeding mine 3 times 2 oz a day ( morn , afternoon and before bedtime ) approx 5 to 6 oz each because thats what they ate before they went on Raw. Plus treats thru out day .
I have noticed that they eat a bit less now so i share the one meal , usually the evening meal is one portion between them. I think with the Raw they now eat actually less , in the beginning they thought they couldnt get enough and were crying a bit for more, but now they adjusted . They drink more water , Poop once a day and dont smell and not runny ... ect

Janelle S

Lairian
How much do you feed and how often.
Cleo is just over two years old and when she was having her tummy and poo issues, she ate like a maniac and pooped watery, ucky poos up to 8 times a day. When I started raw, I swear she was eating a full cup a day but she's totally slowed down now that she's pooping normally. I have to mention that the vet put her on Metronidazole (for 10 days) and Fortiflora. She's still getting the Fortiflora in her morning breakfast. I'm not sure which of these, or what combo of these is working, but now she gets -

Breakfast - 1/4 cup with Fortiflora mixed in
Dinner - 1/4 cup
Bedtime snack - Maybe a teaspoon

At first, she gained much needed weight. Now, she doesn't always eat all of her meals and if it's not too "gooby", I cover her bowl in plastic and put it back in the fridge. I mix in new for the next meal. I am very careful not to let her food sit out longer than 30 minutes.

Most days now, she's not eating the full 1/2 cup (4 oz) container I've budgeted for each day.

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had to make up a batch of food for Cleo today so I thought I'd take pix of the process.

I use 1/2 cup powdered Better in the Raw with 1.5 cups of water. Then I add 2lbs of ground turkey (this time).

Then I mix it together (with my hands - I know, yuck, but it gets it well mixed) -

And put it in containers and bags for freezing. These each contain about 1/2 cup. I use the plastic bags for quick thaw.

We're set for awhile! :BigSmile:
So that is what raw is? That is not to hard. So do they eat it cold and raw right out of the fridge?

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
i run mine under a little bit of warm Water , to get the chill out. I noticed, that Hansel ( cornish ) does not puke when i do this.
I have noticed by watching him closely he pukes when its fridge cold. He does have a sensitive tummy

susi794

Staff member
You should let a four month old kitten have as much as she wants. Then just monitor her weight. Kittens need more food than adults do. She will get her fill and then start eating less as she needs less.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When Molly was smaller she would look like she swallowed a baseball after eating! I give her 8 ounces a day. I use the same method by using a pre-mix powder and water, only I cut her meat in 1 inch cubes and mix it together that way (so its more like a sauce on the meat).

Janelle S

Lairian
So that is what raw is? That is not to hard. So do they eat it cold and raw right out of the fridge?
Cleo eats hers cold (not icy though so you do have to think ahead and thaw one container at a time). I thaw by putting one of those little containers in a bowl of cold water in the fridge overnight. I don't know what putting it in the water does for it but it's defrosted enough to eat in the morning, without ever getting warmer than it should.