Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food processor recommendations?

Yoda mom

Staff member
My dog had dental surgery and I needed to grind his kibble
Used my Cusinart old blender but smells electrical Eve neither just a cup of dry kibble

So this weekend I ordered a food processor that has two bowls - figure one for my salads I eat daily
Amd the smaller bowl for "their " kibble amd beef heart training treats I make

Reaching out to all the salad eating members who also use a food processor for their babies

I ordere the Cusinart FP14Dcn- die cast heavy version so it does not bounce around counter
Comes with a storage case a plus too with inquisitive Sphynx cooking helpers :)
It has a 20 year warranty om the 1300 watt motor lol - really

Of this one is too good to be true
I definitely need a back up plan

@Condo commando , @Xandria et al ,
please chime in! Going nuts lookimg at all the options out there to fit my sale chop poke needs and crew kibble needs

Thank you in advance !
Have a purrfect day!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would just get a dedicated processor for pet food stuffs. The Ninja is a great bet as it's truly brutal. LOL. Just he careful. The blades are super sharp.

I actually have 3 different processors for different tasks. Mainly I have a small grinder for spices only and it never gets cleaned except with a dry cloth. I have a huge Breville for most things and a small kitchenaid for small jobs like dicing onions.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Xandria , when u get s moment can you let me know the model numbers on your Breveille Amd Kitchen aid
( usually on bottom - lol I needed a magnifying glass to check my old Cuisinart :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom

The Breville is definitely not cheap. the Sous Chef™ 16 Peel & Dice
But I do love it and I use it for all sorts of things.

I use the Breville mixer for making my cat food (combining the minced meat, Better in the Raw mix).
the Scraper Mixer™ Pro

The KitchenAid I use for small jobs like dicing onions or pulverizing a carrot or two for salads.

And this is what I use for spices and only spices

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You all are making me think I'm missing out.....but I'm not sure on what? I have fantastic knives which I do use a lot. Can some of you please post 2-3 things you use your fancy food processor for?

meandmytwo

Lairian
@Xandria
Do you use the Scraper Mixer Pro for cat food only? I’d like to upgrade from making mine manually. I also use BITR, for the last year or so. (Thanks to yours and others’ recommendations here!).

Do you think it’s personal preference (peace of mind, convenience) to have a dedicated appliance for cat food or are they difficult to clean/sanitize after mixing raw food and it’s recommended/understood to do so?

It looks like a great machine! I see reviews and demonstrations of people using the same mixer/processor for both meat and veggies etc. (not at the same time lol). I don’t want to come off as gross or risky! That said, I don’t really need a mixer otherwise. I’m not much a baker (dough?) but never say never - a food processor would suit my needs better. So what of using the mixing blade in the Breville processor that you linked to?

I’m new to these high end appliances but recently invested in a Vitamix and I’m on a roll!

@Yoda mom
That Cuisinart had already caught my eye too. Thank you for starting this thread.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@meandmytwo , I got the cusinart 14cup Elite 14 FPNDC (dc for die cast - heavy base)
Comes with a large bowl and a smaller bowl -yah- kitties and dogs can have their own 4 cup bowl for their kibble amd beef heart )

I wanted the "DC" the heavy one to leave on the counter (must have about 18" space so best not to put under a cabinet but in open area instead - I liked the heavy base so it does not bounce around the counter -
it has a 20 year warranty on the motor lol really
Amd and an adjustable slicing blade and locking storage case for blades amd discs .
Home Depot price ,arched amazons $195 price - if you use your Home Depot card there is a ome year retired policy on any purchases instead of the usual 90 days - just an FYI I lowered this year when I bought my Ryobi tools .

Cuisnart customer service was awesome years ago when my coffee pot stopped working - they sent me a knee ome no questions asked amd shipped fast

@Condo commando - I love my Cutco knives - I am a big veggie salad eater amd chop chop chop all the time -
My torm ligament in my index finger has not healed right and it annoying to chop chop chop amd especially beef heart for the dogs . So a priority for me wanting the food processor
(You can see all my typos from this finger torn ligament but I refuse to get surgery )

So I got the big Food processor that has two bowls -
One fixings chopping amd the included 4 cup bowl for the dogs amd kitties fixings

Lol I do not bake for myself but may try the dough mixing blade for doggie cookies!

@Condo commando actually bought a $15 3 cup at Aldi store last week when I had to to the dogs kibble after his teeth extractions and was waiting for the big one ! Works great and has a pulse feature and a 3 yr warranty! Lol
I bought a Krups convection toaster oven since I never use the big oven
Just have to decide what to use for a counter protector underneath it - any suggestions ?
The range Kleenz pads had a review thst it melted to the counter !

@Xandria , like that coffee grinder
Have you U ever used it for coffee ?
I love my little Braun coffe grinder with adjustable grind size but it makes coffe dust on the lid motor gap

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@meandmytwo -- I use the Breville mixer for making human food too. I have industrial cleaners that I use to wash the mixer and its components with, so I've never had a problem with my waffles tasting like camel or venison. LOL I also used to work in restaurant kitchens so I've had food prep machine cleaning beaten into me. But it's not hard -- just clean clean clean and rinse rinse rinse.

I use the all metal beater for cat food. 4 lbs of protein plus BitR plus water. Works great!! And Max licks the bowl in between like a kid. ha ha.

I tried using my food processor for making cat food but it was a pain and I couldn't make as much at once. With the mixer I make 5 batches of 4 lbs protein + BitR + water and that lasts two cats about 3 weeks or so.

@Yoda mom -- I'm so glad you asked about coffee grinder! ha ha. We have two -- a his and hers. I like dark fine ground coffee and hubby likes medium coarse ground. We have two of these the Smart Grinder™ Pro I'm clearly a Breville Whore.

And before everyone thinks I either work for Breville or am rich... I use all my points on credit card purchases towards kitchen toys. And I love the Breville brand, so have a Breville kitchen ha ha.

By the way, this is the toaster oven I use and I've never used the range oven since. It can do toast, pizza, small chickens, roast vegetables etc. I use this all the time. the Smart Oven™ Pro

@Condo commando -- it all depends on what I'm cooking. If I'm cooking large batches of stew, soup, or making massive salads, I'll use the food processor for slicing carrots, celery etc. It's great for making things like hummus and h'orderve type spreads (i.e. smoked salmon and cream cheese spread). It's fabulous for shredding vegetables and then some.

I have some limitations with my hand and arm use so need all the help I can get in the kitchen. As a result, I have so many different gadgets to help me. The food processor really helps. My other favourite is my immersion blender - the Control Grip™ . This I use for making salad dressings (OMG, it's great for cream dressings like Caesar), quiche, soups, oh AND for mixing my BitR with water (quick shout to @meandmytwo) before dumping into my counter mixer.

Again, I do not work for Breville. LOL

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria I hear you, I have a Breville toaster oven as well. Bought it last year on Black Friday. The only thing I don't like is the top gets hotter than Hades. The cats climb on the top for warmth and it was freaking me out that they would get burned, so I ended up buying the Breville wood cutting board that's made to sit on top of the toaster oven. So to summarize, Breville knows the oven gets too hot but instead of adding insulation to the oven itself, they sell you another gadget :( ...meanwhile the cats can still sit on the stove top burners :bigtears:

@Yoda mom I've been using a toaster oven instead of the regular oven for years. It doesn't create near as much heat so as you know living in Florida, the air conditioning bill is high enough already!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando -- I am laughing so hard right now as I did the same thing with a non-Breville wood cutting board. Yeah, it gets mighty hot. As much as I love Breville, there is always one bizarro flaw with each of their items that they take forever in resolving. Their steamer sucks massively -- mind, I use my Lagostina steamer set usually but wanted to be able to steam multiple things at once which the Breville did not do. Have you considered a sentry of these () around the stove? We did that for other areas of our house and it works great. Now I only have to pick up the can and show it to the cats and they run. LOL

meandmytwo

Lairian
@Xandria You don’t work for Breville but you should! Thanks so much for such good information. I’ve been thinking about a toaster oven for years too. Can you tell my mortgage has recently been paid off? lol Time to be a little adventurous.

@Yoda mom Thanks so much for your input!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando -- I am laughing so hard right now as I did the same thing with a non-Breville wood cutting board. Yeah, it gets mighty hot. As much as I love Breville, there is always one bizarro flaw with each of their items that they take forever in resolving. Their steamer sucks massively -- mind, I use my Lagostina steamer set usually but wanted to be able to steam multiple things at once which the Breville did not do. Have you considered a sentry of these () around the stove? We did that for other areas of our house and it works great. Now I only have to pick up the can and show it to the cats and they run. LOL

Was there supposed to be a picture? I don't see what you men. But I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing out on!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh yeah I bought like 7 or 8 of the ssscat cans! I went all in on them before I realized I was spending stupid money on refills, mostly because I was setting them off myself. So most of them are put away and I only have a couple out which even though they are empty the cats don't know it so they stay away. If I had it to do all over I would just buy 2 or 3 but they definitely help.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando -- I've scared the ssscat out of myself a number of times inadvertently setting them off! We only had to buy the refills once for 3 cans. After that, the mere sight of the cans was sufficient. Usually. Min is a special case because she has no concept of right and wrong.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , just an update .. The cusinart FP14 DC weighs 27 lbs!
Just for the heck of it I called cusinart about the warranty if they send a return shipping label ... NOT!
I would have to pay for shipping om at least 27 lbs amd box size
They said it has a 3 yr warranty amd 20 on the motor but who the heck is going to ship this tank back plus a$10 shipping fee to Cuisinart

Ugh May hust stay with my Cutco knives and my Aldi 3 cup $15 buck grinder I bought last week lol
It chops up kibble great amd has a pulse feature built in

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom they would just as soon sell you a new one every few years. Trump wants to bring jobs back to America, but it better not be repair work because nobody's left that knows how to do that.

Back