Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food Suggestions?

pankupeach

Lairian
Hey everyone!

In about a month I'll be bringing my sphynx kitten home and I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should look for in a cat food.
I know that hairless animals have a faster metabolism in general and require a higher quality and sometimes quantity of food to keep them healthy and happy so I was wondering what you guys use for your cats?
I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and have access to many petstores and obviously amazon. I've found a lot of good health and hygiene products but when it comes to online resources I haven't found many recommended brands that are available in Canada.

So my questions for you are:
1. What brand/type of cat food would you recommend for a sphynx kitten?
2. What brand/type of cat food is would you recommend for an adult sphynx?
3. Are both wet and dry food necessary or do you only need one?

Thank you in advance to anyone who lends me some input! <3

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hi there! In case you read this before the other post: welcome to sphynxlair!

There are a lot of different opinions about what is the best cat food. Some say raw food, others say dry and wet.
And then we're not even talkimg about brands:). I always say, go with what you can efford and what works for your sphynx.

1. Best is to feed the same food the breeder is feeding for the first weeks. This to avoid tummy issues. After 2 weeks or so you can transfer to the brand you want. Switch slowly: first week 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food, second week 2/4 new and 2/4 old, third week 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Forth week you can feed only new food.

2. If you choose a brand who has kitten and adult food you can stay with the same brand but only switch to adult

3. Most people choose to feed dry and wet food. For kittens most free feed kibbles and give 2-3 a day wet food. After a year most people stop the free feeding.

pankupeach

Lairian
Hi there! In case you read this before the other post: welcome to sphynxlair!

There are a lot of different opinions about what is the best cat food. Some say raw food, others say dry and wet.
And then we're not even talkimg about brands:). I always say, go with what you can efford and what works for your sphynx.

1. Best is to feed the same food the breeder is feeding for the first weeks. This to avoid tummy issues. After 2 weeks or so you can transfer to the brand you want. Switch slowly: first week 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food, second week 2/4 new and 2/4 old, third week 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Forth week you can feed only new food.

2. If you choose a brand who has kitten and adult food you can stay with the same brand but only switch to adult

3. Most people choose to feed dry and wet food. For kittens most free feed kibbles and give 2-3 a day wet food. After a year most people stop the free feeding.
Thanks so much for all the helpful info! :giggle: