Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food, Sweaters, and heated bed questions. HELP:)

LucilleBald

Lairian
Hey guys! So as the weather is getting colder here in Nebraska, so is the house I live in. It is super old and all hard wood floors. We try and keep the heat up but in all honesty the house is so old that the vent systems really suck. I know that you aren't supposed to leave clothing on pets when you are not home but I was wondering if any of you do anyways? I think it would help my little Lucy a ton if I could leave one of her sweaters on her throughout the day and night. She also has a heated bed I just purchased but refuses to go in. Anybody have any tricks for getting their cat to get used to new things? And the last question I have is about food. Lucy just turned 1 and I feed her royal canine. After a year old they switch to adult food. So I ordered a new 15lb bag off amazon and when it arrives I open it and realize the food bits are large compared to the royal canine kitten food she is used to. I gave her a piece and she seemed to love it but she didn't chew it just swallowed it whole. She is a tiny cat only weighing 8lbs. Should I be worried or is this normal?

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Leaving clothes on when you're gone is dangerous because they can get their claw/paw stuck in them and it throws off their general balance/jumping calculations. This can lead to some very unfortunate falls. I read that one member had a cat get their paw caught and nearly fall off something and was just in time to catch them, they can't land in a good way when they fall like that and can break limbs/hit their head/neck etc. The more close fitting the clothes are the less likely it is but I still wouldn't risk it: something like this is probably the closest fitting if you get a stretchy fabric sock the right size. Can skip the sewing if there's no loose threads or anything. I think having one hole for both front paws is also more comfortable/safe. It's also safer during a time where they would normally sleep or if you can confine her in an area with nothing dangerous to climb.

Try washing/airing the bed it might smell bad to your cat with the factory/store smells. Then put something familiar smelling she likes in it, maybe a worn shirt of yours or something. Try toys/treats in there. If catnip works on her you can use a spray/sprinkle it in there. If she still doesn't take to it I find electric blankets/pads are better cause cats are insanely fussy about cat beds and rarely like them, with a blanket or pad you can move it around easily to where they like to be (probably on your bed). Also have fleece throws/blankets around for her to burrow under, it traps the heat and keeps them toasty

Cats don't really chew, for meat they would use their teeth to rip pieces. If she has no problems swallowing it it should be fine - my 8 pound boy eats huge kibbles with no problem :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's not safe to leave clothes on them, when you leave.
They, can also hang themselves.
As long as she can get under throws, blankets and the bed.
She will stay warm.
It's, not good, for, their skin, to, leave the, clothes on,
all the time either.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey guys! So as the weather is getting colder here in Nebraska, so is the house I live in. It is super old and all hard wood floors. We try and keep the heat up but in all honesty the house is so old that the vent systems really suck. I know that you aren't supposed to leave clothing on pets when you are not home but I was wondering if any of you do anyways? I think it would help my little Lucy a ton if I could leave one of her sweaters on her throughout the day and night. She also has a heated bed I just purchased but refuses to go in. Anybody have any tricks for getting their cat to get used to new things? And the last question I have is about food. Lucy just turned 1 and I feed her royal canine. After a year old they switch to adult food. So I ordered a new 15lb bag off amazon and when it arrives I open it and realize the food bits are large compared to the royal canine kitten food she is used to. I gave her a piece and she seemed to love it but she didn't chew it just swallowed it whole. She is a tiny cat only weighing 8lbs. Should I be worried or is this normal?

@LucilleBald, I used to use Royal Canin for years. I too was a bit blown away when I first opened the bag of adult food because of the size difference. Some of my sphynx chew their dry food and others just swallow like yours! See how her belly is once you completely convert over to all the adult food. If she's not doing well, then you can always consider changing brands for a smaller size kibble. But try not to be too concerned over that right now. I'm sure she'll be fine.

For the most part I never left collars or clothing on any of them when I wasn't around. Yet, I have left tighter fitting clothing that had no sleeves on them sometimes. It's not good practice being that this breed is so active, you wouldn't want her getting caught on something, etc.

As far as getting her to go in her heated bed, maybe she doesn't like where it's located? Can you move it to where she prefers to lay so she can realize that it's heated?

I never purchased a thing that all my sphynx cats didn't like or use. I didn't get them a heated bed, but I had a heated throw for them that they absolutely loved. I found that I had to keep the heat setting on low because they'd all burrow under it and sweat up a storm. They were crazy about it and it certainly helped take the chill out of their bones. :) I all all porcelain tile floors and some hardwood, no carpeting here either. You can get a good quality heated throw that's safe to use every day.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Honestly, if a Sphynx is cold enough, they'll find a warm spot. I would just leave piles of nice fuzzy blankets around the house and she'll find her favourite spot among them and stay warm. They won't let themselves be cold for too long.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sphynx are masters in finding warm spots and making their own heating. If you leave out blankets they can crawl under. I have a cattree with a little cathouse. They love to lay there with the two of them. If I put my hand in it when they're in, I almost get burned:).
Or you can buy the baskets were they can crawl in like a blanket.

singaporesphynx

Lairian
For the kibble, you could try Royal Canin Sensible (sensitive formula which is great for Sphynx) - the pieces are nice and small, similar to the kitten formula.