Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Former member coming back

Terri W

Lairian
Hello, my name is Terri and I am blessed to have 2 Sphynx babies. I was a member years ago, but became inactive when I retired. Who knew retirement was so time consuming? My husband and I are full time RV’ers. We travel with 2 cats and 2 dogs. We recently moved from Texas to our home base in Arizona.

Abby is a 16 1/2 year old Tortie and my baby, I have had her since she was 16 weeks old. My human children refer to Abby as my favorite child. Portia (or Porky as she is lovingly called) is a 2 year old from Russia. She was bought to be a breeder and when she couldn’t produce viable kittens the breeder sold her. We picked her up in Texas over the holidays and she is a love bunny.

My main reason for coming back is #1. I have time and #2. I need some advice on care of an elderly cat. At a recent vet appointment they did a full blood screening on her. Everything came back great. Her teeth are great, eyes are great, but she has lost a lot of weight. We give her some high calorie supplements but it is a struggle to keep weight on her. Is this common in older Sphynx? Also her balance seems to be off. We think she has lost some hearing, could this affect her balance?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Attachments

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It is normal for elderly ANYTHING to have some trouble keeping weight on. It’s just a part of aging. It doesn’t help that taste buds aren’t the same as they used to be so food isn’t as enjoyable.

The balance/deaf thing it really depends on what is causing her loss of hearing. There are parts in the inner ear that have to do with balance and others that don’t.

Also welcome back!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Terri W

Lairian
It is normal for elderly ANYTHING to have some trouble keeping weight on. It’s just a part of aging. It doesn’t help that taste buds aren’t the same as they used to be so food isn’t as enjoyable.

The balance/deaf thing it really depends on what is causing her loss of hearing. There are parts in the inner ear that have to do with balance and others that don’t.

Also welcome back!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Welcome back! look forward to lots of pics and tales .. hugs n head smooches, surely member will chime in with their experiences

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back! You might want to try some chicken and rice. We did this with one of our dogs who needed to gain weight. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome back!
I never had to do with eldery cats but others will be able to give some good advice

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Happy to see you have popped back in the community and hope to see you become an active never again. Love seeing senior sphynx!!!! Our one boy was 13 when we lost him and yes he definitely lost weight. It’s like older people, they lose their muscle-tone. If it’s not the ears, could they possibly have arthritis? Our boy had it, and he was definitely less stealth in his moves. He would jump up on things less and would think about it before doing it, unlike in his earlier years where he would just go. When we found out he had it, we put something on the side of the bed for him to step up and down on making it easier for him. Just a heads up, they often start lose judgement due to eyesight also getting worse. Having a nightlight on can help them too if they are known for getting up in the muddle of the night.

Oh and congrats on your newest baby.