Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Foster Updates

MaddieP

Lairian
I thought I would stop clogging up the Intro forum with these, so I'll post here!
My foster Thomas O'Malley got adopted Saturday, so I went to the shelter after work and picked up a new one!
It's a month old little boy, who we cannot figure out a name for. He was brought in as a stray Friday, alone. No siblings or mom. He's a sweet kitten, as soon as he's sleepy he's snuggling up on your chest or neck purring to nap. For a few hours he turns into a biting monster. He goes for another set of shots in two weeks and as soon as he gets neutered and it's healed, he'll be good to go!
0615192054.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP awhhhh so happy to see this thread of love amd care
Great news Thomas o Malley found his forever home .

Your new foster is such a sweetie .... bless your hearts for all you do to make a difference...
Look forward to more pics amd updates amd of the name :)
Baby Friday?

Squeeze hugs to you amd gentle head smooches to this baby
He needed someone like you to change his life forever

MaddieP

Lairian
Sorry for the lack of updates, one of my closest friends moved to Orlando today, and work has been extra hectic.
Little Dude has still not been named, but he's growing slowly.
He gets Royal Canin Mama and Babycat wet food and Only Natural Pet dry food. He loves blankets, and he's great with other cats! He loves playing with our 9 month old DSH Monkey. He enjoys snuggling up to people or on the sofa throws to nap.
The local shelter has a 3 month old Basset Hound that I want, but I'm not in a place where I could take a pup right now.
Tom, my first foster, is doing well in his new home. He enjoys the bathtub when it's dry, and my manager has shown me a few pictures (one of her friends adopted him).
That's about it, I did celebrate my big 21st last week, but no partying was involved.

Yoda mom

Staff member
((((Hugs)))) great update

belated. Happy 21 st Birthday wishes !

Ps I didn’t party on my 21st or 50th either

Bless you for your kind heart for Big Tom and little noname

Did the shelter vet have him on a dewormer schedule .. so,storms they don’t gain weight if they have worms ..just a thought

Following closely for updates!

MaddieP

Lairian
((((Hugs)))) great update

belated. Happy 21 st Birthday wishes !

Ps I didn’t party on my 21st or 50th either

Bless you for your kind heart for Big Tom and little noname

Did the shelter vet have him on a dewormer schedule .. so,storms they don’t gain weight if they have worms ..just a thought

Following closely for updates!

Thanks! Me, my SO, and a couple close friends went shopping... The rabbits keep eating my jeans, so I was due for a few pairs!
He goes for shots next Friday, and I believe they'll dewoem then. He was given Revolution before he came home, and I believe it's supposed to help with internal parasites too. I might be mistaken about that though.

MaddieP

Lairian
Thanks everyone! Munchkin is doing very well, he took a nap with me before I came to work. I'm here until 9 or 10 and so far it's been a day. A regular customer had a possible stroke before I came in and now there's a burning smell so we had to evacuate.

MaddieP

Lairian
Thank you! I'm sorry, I thought I replied. Friday was a very long day. Before I came to work they had to call an ambulance for a regular customer who was showing evidence of a stroke. Then our smoke-smell false alarm, and the firefighters forgot to close the roof hatch, so we had to call my manager's husband to close it because we were both petrified of heights.
Munchkin slept in bed with me last night. He's such a sweet boy, I'm excited to see how quickly he goes when he's ready to go to his forever home. He climbed up my leg before I went to work yesterday, not wanting me to leave.

MaddieP

Lairian
I have a dilemma. My grandparents keep wanting my foster cats. They love their animals, but are on a fixed monthly income, and don't take their animals to the vet regularly. Recently they had a girl pass after seizures and wouldn't get her testing or have her painlessly pts because of the expense. They smoke cigarettes in the house. They've told me it's better to have an animal with chronic issues pts because it's expensive to treat. How do I politely tell them no?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP , That’s a tough one.
I know the kitties surely pull at their heart strings ...
Perhaps instead of adopting your fosters , they could volunteer at the shelter . To help socialize the kitties so they find perfect forever homes . This way they could enjoy lots of kitties and at the end of the day know they did right by helping them with their gift of kindness to volunteer without the expensive care with kitty ownership.

Head smooches to munchkin

My condolences ((hugs)) for the passing of your grandparents kitty .

MaddieP

Lairian
@MaddieP , That’s a tough one.
I know the kitties surely pull at their heart strings ...
Perhaps instead of adopting your fosters , they could volunteer at the shelter . To help socialize the kitties so they find perfect forever homes . This way they could enjoy lots of kitties and at the end of the day know they did right by helping them with their gift of kindness to volunteer .
I wish... My grandmother has fairly severe health problems and they live a good hour from the shelter. It's difficult for them to travel to doctor's appointments, and my grandfather is not the most delicate of speakers. He tends to be very blunt to the point of hurtful, not the best volunteer for a public facility.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh, perhaps a heart felt talk that the timing may not be right ...
I am sure they are proud of you and love hearing updates on your fosters

MaddieP

Lairian
They do, but my grandmother also expressed disgust with my getting my Sphynx because she doesn't like how they look. I already love Lenny, I don't want anyone dissing him before they meet him. They're also extremely hard to talk to, not wanting to hear anything they don't want to. On more than one occasion my grandfather has refused to listen to me just because I'm younger.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Wow. Reminds me of my grandparents. I don’t wish this for you, but because of their behavior we no longer have a relationship (there’s a lot more to it of course). I say stand your ground. You are the one with the power here. And tell them I said if they don’t have anything nice to say they can keep their comments to themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MaddieP

Lairian
I wish I could. My parents don't support me not letting them have one, and I've tried fibbing by saying he already has potential adopters. They said they want him any way if the "adopters" don't take him. It just stresses me out so badly, it made me consider stopping fostering. However, the thought of not helping save one if I can is even worse.
I had a dream last night that the shelter had a Bambino, and it was a girl with a furrier face than normal so I didn't think she was naked at first, but when I started playing with her she was, and I was trying to figure out if I was going to take her despite not wanting a female and the fact that Lynny is coming home in December. She was wearing black and white dinosaur pajamas.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Don't have any good advice to offer but wanted to sent positive vibes and hugs.
Always follow your heart and gut. Even when family disagrees with you and don't support you or don't agree on what you say. That can cause lots of problems with your family but it's the only way to live your life. And yes that sucks sometimes. Hugs.

MaddieP

Lairian
Hey guys, Munchkin is doing super well! He sleeps in bed with me some nights and plays well with all my big boys.
I feel like a terrible person. I have a friend that was given a Sphynx. She knows how long I've wanted a Sphynx, and she just has someone give one to her. I feel so jealous, and horrible that I feel jealous, and she's younger so I don't want to tell her because I feel awful in the first place. He doesn't look very healthy in the pictures they posted. I asked if I could babysit for a weekend so I could learn to bathe and clean their ears. What would you guys do?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MaddieP not ridiculous at all. I would gave seen green of jealousy and just like at the same time feel horrible about it too. After all, we're just humans:)

Reliefed for you it's not a sphynx but a Devon Rex:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaddieP head smooches to Munchkin

((((Hugs))) hope to get to meet your friends Rex soon...
Waiting for our babies can seem like forever and so hard when others have Gotchas before ours ...

Be sure to tell your friend it is a good idea to get a vet wellness check., bring a stool sample .
You said he doesn’t look healthy so even more important .

Perhaps you can help your friend during spa days :) ?

Keep in mind many wait at least 10 days when kitties first brought home to wait till they settle in a bit before full spa days . I practice pawdicures by putting kitty on my lap and massaging feet :) when I foot bring them home

MaddieP

Lairian
@MaddieP head smooches to Munchkin

((((Hugs))) hope to get to meet your friends Rex soon...
Waiting for our babies can seem like forever and so hard when others have Gotchas before ours ...

Be sure to tell your friend it is a good idea to get a vet wellness check., bring a stool sample .
You said he doesn’t look healthy so even more important .

Perhaps you can help your friend during spa days :) ?

Keep in mind many wait at least 10 days when kitties first brought home to wait till they settle in a bit before full spa days . I practice pawdicures by putting kitty on my lap and massaging feet :) when I foot bring them home

Interesting, I didn't know about the 10 day wait, but I can definitely see why it would be a good idea. Also a super smart idea to do paw massages, mine don't care for me touching their feet but maybe if I start massaging, it wouldn't be so bad doing nail clipping.
Thanks for the support guys!

Back