Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Found a Baby Tooth!

SupplyPipe28

Lairian
Hello everyone!

So, we found one of Severin's baby teeth on new year's day (he's 5.5 months right now). From what we can tell through Google searches, it looks like a lower pre-molar? We could be wrong (I can post a photo later for confirmation as we're curious to know), but I'm wondering if we need to increase his wet food until all of his adult teeth come in or if it's okay to keep the dry kibble out for grazing?

Also, does anyone have any tips for checking his teeth/opening his mouth? I find it really awkward as he's not keen on opening up for me to check where he's at with the baby teeth/adult teeth situation.

*sigh* Our little guy is growing up. :( :love:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Ha ...how fun to find a tooth! We got our baby last week and I already started opening his mouth daily to look and train him to feel comfortable as well as touching paws and extending nails etc. The key is to making it a consistent thing and then they are desensitized.

Patti

SupplyPipe28

Lairian
It was, indeed! @Catzzzmeow :) I've been trying to sneak a peek on the regular having noticed that his teething had escalated, but the only time I can get in for a decent look is when he's napping. I'll keep on it, though.

Any changes to his wet/dry food ratio? We've noticed a very slight decline in his consumption of dry food, but I was wondering if we needed to make it easier on his teeth/gums somehow by giving him more wet food?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
These guys love food and I feel routine is key in their lives. I have never changed their ratio of food when they were teething/losing teeth. If they were in the wild they would have no choice...dinner is dinner.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@SupplyPipe28 we all often over think things out of loving them so much. Having that kibble that is hard actually helps the process along. Any plans for the tooth? We recently had a thread come up of what to do with a tooth if found. I have found several baby teeth. Never gave it thought of what to do with them except keep them in my jewelry box. This time if I find one, I might put one in a locket.

SupplyPipe28

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Oh, that is so true! Even more so as first-time Sphynx parents, but it's all worth it. I actually checked that same thread before posting this one - I'm hoping to find a really pretty Victorian or antique-looking pill box that I can add some satin or velvet lining to. :)

SupplyPipe28

Lairian
@Toa and Ross - Having read that the baby teeth are often swallowed, we really weren't expecting to find one - it was quite the surprise and such a pleasant one. :) Thanks for confirming Patti's advice, as well - appreciate it!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats!! That's awesome. What will you do with it?

Sadly I never found Max's or Min's. So I'm happy to hear when people find their baby's teeth.