Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

found a kitten, is this normal practice?

dragynflye

Lairian
UPDATE! found a kitten, is this normal practice?

after talking to her some more, i don't think having a second choice kitten is the way she normally does thing, i just chose a true runt, and she wants me to have another kitty in mind, just in case. she doesn't think there will be any problem, though.

she has been really great. very upfront with me, and answered all my questions. i have officially reserved the little dude, and he will be coming home sometime around april 22, which is just perfect timing!

is it sad that i've already started knitting and itty bitty sweater?! :Laugh:

i have found a kitten. he is currently four weeks old, and would be ready to go home at just the right time. i contacted the breeder and asked her about her contract, her deposit, ect. she got back to me and told me the kitten i have chosen is (of course) the runt, and is being hand raised by her. she says he is doing well and thriving, but is just very small.

here's the part that bothers me. she says that sphynx kittens are extremely fragile until about 8-12 weeks. she says she asks her adopters to place a deposit on the kitten of their choice, but to have a second choice, "just in case". is this normal?! what if something does happen to your kitten, and your second choice is someone else's first choice?! are sphynx kittens really that delicate? is it common to loose kittens?

i am a dog person. i've never purchased a cat before. i am a firm believer is supporting responsible, ethical breeding. cat people seem to do things differently than dog people, though, and i'm having a hard time separating the legit breeders from the byb'ers!

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is pretty strange.
I did not do that with either of my sphynx.
My friends that are breeders said that is fishy.
Can you pm me the breeders website?
Sounds like there is no waiting list.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got your pm.
I know her and she is a good breeder.
She just lost her male she had bought to breed with and has been very upset.
I trust her.

Brooke

Banned
The breeder is right about sphynx kittens being very fragile at that age - and even more fragile before 8 weeks. I know some breeders that don't even list their kittens being available until they are past a certain age, and was recently told the sphynx kitten mortality rate (which I don't recall, but I remember thinking it was alarmingly high!). A quick google search didn't call up that number...I'll have to do some more digging.

I've seen "pick your second choice" before in contracts. It's there to protect the you and the breeder in the event the kitten doesn't survive because the deposit is usually non-refundable.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can trust her.
She scans and cares alot about her cats and kittens.
I know her from facebook and the yahoo lists.

dragynflye

Lairian
thank you both for your replies! i have a couple more questions for her, but with your reassurances, i think i'm going to go for it!!

Brooke

Banned
You can trust her.
She scans and cares alot about her cats and kittens.
I know her from facebook and the yahoo lists.

Great to know, m2m! You know that was going to be one of my next questions... :ThumbsUp:

It sounds like you've done your homework, Dragynflye! Best of luck, and we're all here for you if you have any more questions or concerns.

Soon comes the unbearable wait for your kitten and the almost impossible task of choosing a name!! :LOL:

Back