Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Found a sphynx cat in my neighborhood

April Bishop

Lairian
hello,
I found a sphynx across the street from my house and have posted about her in the nextdoor app, pawboost, put up fliers. We took her in to the vet, she is chipped but the owners haven’t contacted us and it’s been 3 days. We have cleaned her ears bought food and a litter box, let her marinate in some coconut oil, then gave her a bath. Guess I’m just looking for any advice, she was also badly sunburnt

Attachments

• 3403DD7D-A141-4DA9-9424-03F79F38B1D1.jpeg
    3403DD7D-A141-4DA9-9424-03F79F38B1D1.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 232

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm afraid I can't give much advice due being new.
But I would like to say it's amazing you take such good care of her. Thank you for that.
Hopefully the owners still reach out eventually. Otherwise you might want to consider other steps like keeping her (if thats possible and allowed/legal) or find a new golden home for her (if that's allowed/legal).
To cover yourself as you found her, make sure you can proof you tried to reach out to the owners.

susi794

Staff member
Thank you for taking her in and caring for her. Highly unusual to find a Sphynx cat just roaming around. Usually owners are frantic. Where are you from? We could circulate notices for a wider circle of people.

April Bishop

Lairian
I'm afraid I can't give much advice due being new.
But I would like to say it's amazing you take such good care of her. Thank you for that.
Hopefully the owners still reach out eventually. Otherwise you might want to consider other steps like keeping her (if thats possible and allowed/legal) or find a new golden home for her (if that's allowed/legal).
To cover yourself as you found her, make sure you can proof you tried to reach out to the owners.
I have tried literally every resource, and Texas law apparently is after
Wow...I hope she makes her way back to her home or finds the best forever home...possibly yours? Kudos to you for trying every avenue to reunite her with her family.
I would love love love to keep her but I have three Boston terriers that are not too fond of her, and I would prefer all the animals in the house to be in harmony. She is so sweet, she has been sleeping on my stomach at night, and literally purrs all night, my husband and I absolutely love her. I’m getting a lot of people interested in her from the nextdoor app but I refuse to give her away to a stranger, especially since I would require they pass a quiz about sphynx . Every day we fall more in love with her and my kids are OBSESSED. This is such a difficult situation.

April Bishop

Lairian
Thank you for taking her in and caring for her. Highly unusual to find a Sphynx cat just roaming around. Usually owners are frantic. Where are you from? We could circulate notices for a wider circle of people.
Im in San Antonio, I have contacted the human society president since I am lucky enough to have her as a friend, and she is reaching out to more sphynx owners, I would prefer someone with a sphynx already have her, as I would like her to have all the love and care she deserves. People on the nextdoor app keep messaging me about her but I just assume they are pet flippers

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If you cannot find the owners and need to find a home, feel free to post in this community under adoption/rescue section. Often you can match a cat with someone who has experience in here. Also you can ask for a nominal rehoming fee according to rules of the forum to help weed out those whose are not as serious. @April Bishop

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless you for being so kind! That cat should not be outside and poor thing having a sunburn. Hope someone is missing her and contacts you shortly or that she finds a good home! You are a true animal friend and this world needs more of your kind. Hugs!

April Bishop

Lairian
@April Bishop any updates on this sweetie ?
I posted an update on one of my other threads but I feel super sick about her going back to her home if she has gotten out before... I just have a gut feeling that they are not responsible owners, especially because of 4 days of no contact, I would literally be on every media platform I could and knocking on doors if one of my babies went missing.

April Bishop

Lairian
Another update, we took her to the vet and she has a clean bill of health from a general exam. She is such a sweet baby, our friend from the humane society has a meeting tonight and they are gonna discuss how long before she is considered relinquished. I have no idea how the laws/rules work here. Thank you everyone, you’ve made this experience wonderful and knowledgeable thus far.

Attachments

• B235CD11-FC8A-4800-AE0E-D9858F1BD594.jpeg
    B235CD11-FC8A-4800-AE0E-D9858F1BD594.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 192

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello from Austin! I was going to recommend posting to Texas Sphynx Talk, but I believe someone already did on your behalf.

Other than the sunburn, she appears to be well fed... As if you found her the day of, or day after, she got out. I can’t imagine the owners aren’t just devastated right now! I will spread the word and contact the local sphynx catteries I know of as well. They might recognize her as one of their past kittens, although she appears to be a Donsky Sphynx. This breaks my heart. Please do keep us updated!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sevi
Not sure if you saw this sweetie

@April Bishop bless your heart for helping this sweetie and getting her vet checked great news a clean bill of health. who hoa!

I kmow here it's a 3 day wait rule
Not sure for your jurisdiction

I looked at tabby tracker and other sites for a possible match lost ad-
Craigslist has a lost calico Sphynx "kiwi "in league city ?posted end of July

years ago I got an oriental shorthair cst reunited with its owner from a Google search of Craigslist amd saw an old post

Perhaps animal comtrol can send a unit to check the address listed on the microchip registration ?

Last edited:

April Bishop

Lairian
@Sevi
Not sure if you saw this sweetie

@April Bishop bless your heart for helping this sweetie and getting her vet checked great news a clean bill of health. who hoa!

I kmow here it's a 3 day wait rule
Not sure for your jurisdiction

I looked at tabby tracker and other sites for a possible match lost ad-
Craigslist has a lost calico Sphynx "kiwi "in Houston posted end of July

years ago I got an oriental shorthair cst reunited with its owner from a Google search of Craigslist amd saw an old post

Perhaps animal comtrol can send a unit to check the address listed on the microchip registration ?
I’ve contacted every outlet that I can think of, the humane society in my city is working with me now, they wanted me to bring her in until the owner contacts them but I said I would rather have her here, because she would be in a kennel and I can’t handle that. I love her seriously so much, the vet today was not familiar with the breed at all... also said I shouldn’t bathe her because cats bathe themselves, which was concerning. I am having such a hard time trusting anyone because all contacts I have made from the nextdoor app are sketchy and I’m sure want to re sell her. This sounds very selfish but I would love for her to be close so I could maybe visit sometimes, I would love to keep her myself but my husband gave me a 2 day fully acclimated to our dogs time limit, dogs don’t even like dogs in 2 days. This has honestly been one of the hardest pet finds I’ve ever had because it’s been four days and I’m in love. We have 3 Boston terriers that I’ve got rehomed and they don’t do well with cats, so she has been cuddling in my room and just being separated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@April Bishop
I sent you a PM about a lost Sphynx calico kitty named Kiwi in Houston

Not sure if it's the same kitty but looks like same colored eyes
Amd not sure if the same kitty with sun pigmentation ?
I tried to look at the forehead marking in the person ad

Keep us updated

April Bishop

Lairian
@April Bishop
I sent you a PM about a lost Sphynx calico kitty named Kiwi in Houston

Not sure if it's the same kitty but looks like same colored eyes
Amd not sure if the same kitty with sun pigmentation ?
I tried to look at the forehead marking in the person ad

Keep us updated
Definitely not the baby I found but I can absolutely spread fliers around here. I know if this was one of my babies I would hope someone would do the exact same for them. Also they found out the chip was never updated and apparently it’s a different owner completely now, and I’m not supposed to know this... but the address is very close. Although there has been no contact after several voicemails. I just want her to find a GOOD home and not necessarily the “home” she came from. I was honestly up all night thinking about how I could convince my husband to keep her.... I love her

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh(((hugs)))) she knows love because of you

Years ago I took care of an abandoned stray dog
The owner was contacted numerous times and didn't want him or even cared
I adopted him after the hold /relinquish law time frame

Semt you a pm

Will be following closely for updates

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for taking care of this lost little Sphynx!

I might be foolish to think this but my thinking is she got outside accidentally and her owners are distraught looking for her. If it's possible, I would keep her for a couple of weeks to see if they come around.

Then after that, it sounds like you know what to look for in pet parents so you could look for a good forever home for her. You could also contact a local breeder in case they know someone who wants an adult. That's always what I get so I know we're out there.

April Bishop

Lairian
Thank you for taking care of this lost little Sphynx!

I might be foolish to think this but my thinking is she got outside accidentally and her owners are distraught looking for her. If it's possible, I would keep her for a couple of weeks to see if they come around.

Then after that, it sounds like you know what to look for in pet parents so you could look for a good forever home for her. You could also contact a local breeder in case they know someone who wants an adult. That's always what I get so I know we're out there.
So the interesting part is I have a good friend in the humane society she has been picked up before, the address is right down the street.... and we put a flier up on the light pole directly on their street. The vet, micro chip company, other vet, humane society, and I have left messages and nothing... for 4 days I just don’t want her going back to her “home” if they don’t give her full attention

Yoda mom

Staff member
My guess like the dog I adopted years ago - they know and may be choosing not to make contact
Perhaps they want her to find a forever home.
I worked animal control years ago.
*I contacted the dog's owner - he gladly signed a relinquish surrender form so the dog could get a forever home -

Perhaps the owners would sign a surrender form so she can find a forever home ? Check with your local jurisdiction .
I waited the wait period . Then I fostered Duke , treated his heartworm , amd saw his embedded collar scarring :(
I adopted him - we shared a life of love for his 12 1/2 years - he took a piece of his heart with me when he got his angel wings .

I pray this sweetie gets all the love and care she deserves
You certainly made all the difference for her

Sevi

Lairian
Thanks for the heads-up, @Yoda mom !

@April Bishop, you're such a great person for doing so much for this found baby! If you need a foster or if the owners don't show, let me know!! I'm in Houston and would be happy to help care and cuddle!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So the interesting part is I have a good friend in the humane society she has been picked up before, the address is right down the street.... and we put a flier up on the light pole directly on their street. The vet, micro chip company, other vet, humane society, and I have left messages and nothing... for 4 days I just don’t want her going back to her “home” if they don’t give her full attention
Who knows then. Have you tried to find out what the wait time is for someone to come forward? With apologies to your Bostons, it would be great if you could keep her until then so she only has to change homes one more time. Fingers crossed for a good forever home.

Back