Found a sphynx, scared I will get scammed by the 'breeder'

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Rescue & Adoption' started by Madoff, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madoff

MadoffLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $299.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been hearing a lot about people taking deposits and scamming.

Can someone give me some information on this person:
    her email is: chatteriesanspoil@hotmail.com
    and she leaves this in her emails:

She is asking for a $400 deposit and says the cat is ready to go for on june 20, and it was born on feb 5

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010

2. Lisa Dobby

Lisa DobbyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1.00
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am not a breeder of any animals but I will give you my opinion for what it is worth. I have owned many show dogs over the years and have dealt with Dog Breeders that have always been very good to deal with but I have heard the horror stories too...

I would never purchase an animal if I were not able to visit the Breeder and see what kind of conditions it came from. I would strongly suggest that you visit this person and see for yourself what kind of Breeder he/she is. You can tell a lot about what kind of animal you are getting from seeing how healthy the Mom and Dad cat are.
    If you are purchasing from a distance make sure the Breeder is a Member in good standing of TICA. Ask for references. Get a contract signed by mail before any money is exchanged. You also can get a feeling for whether or not you can have a business relationship with this person.

I totally understand the need for Breeders to get deposits. Most Breeders do not let the kittens leave until they are at least 12 weeks old. It is wise for them to pre-sell all of their litters. That way once the kittens are ready to go to their forever homes when they are at the appropriate age.

I would want to have a document in writing stating that you have a contractual agreement to purchase the kitten and that you have left X number of dollars as a deposit. The contract should also state that should anything happen to the said kitten in question prior to delivery that your money will be refunded immediately in full. So that way if something were to happen to the kitten you picked out you will not be stuck waiting for another litter with the Breeder holding onto your deposit.

Most Breeders state that their deposits are not refundable. So in other words if you make the contract to purchase the kitten and then YOU change your mind for whatever reason then you DO NOT get your deposit money refunded. This is fair for the Breeder I believe. The reason being it costs money to advertise! It costs money to find kittens new homes. Sphynx kittens in particular are not cheap to purchase and although many people admire them few are fortunate enough to be able to afford them. So yes there is some expense the Breeder has to put forth in order to sell the kittens they produce.

I guess my best advice would be if you do not feel comfortable with this person then pass it by. Always follow your gut instincts. If you don't feel right about getting a kitten from this particular Breeder then wait until the right one comes along. And it will... I don't know the Breeder you are referring to in your question. I live way up in Northern Alberta Canada so I certainly don't want to bias you in any way. Maybe try going to the local Cat Shows and mingle with some of the Breeders and you can then find the person/breeder that is right for you. Or perhaps you can contact the Admin of this group and they might be able to direct you to someone in your area.

Best of luck in your quest to find the Sphynx of your dreams. I have found mine and I wouldn't trade him for anything! :BigSmile:

Lisa :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  3. MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $502.00
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    I agree with Lisa, and suggest you follow your gut instincts (there will be time to follow your heart later). Good luck in your Sphynx search.

4. Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $381.99
    Ratings:
    +585
    Good luck with your search!!

I agree that you should get to meet the kittens in their home first and their parents before making any decisions...also remember to see paperwork on HCM scans...

X

5. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    Yup, schedule a visit if possible or at the very least a phone call. Just by speaking to the breeder about your shared love of Sphynx and other related topics should give you a good or bad vibe on the breeder. The first phone call I had with my breeder was atleast 45 minutes long. We talked about everything under the sun I think. Good vibes became of it of course. The original breeder I had contacted I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from. She was very short with me, she asked me questions about my home life and what not which was fine but her responses seemed judgemental and she wasn't really friendly at all so I moved on. I wouldn't expect to be instant best friends with every breeder you speak too but atleast a happy conversation and a few laughs should be in order I would think.

6. Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    I really have no good advice, sphynx kittens can be hard to find close enough to visit. and it is hard to know who to trust, that said, there are some breeders here and people who know good breeders, maybe they can send you some contacts through PM?

7. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $142.00
    Ratings:
    +2,011

The deposit seems high to me.
    When I got all 3 of my sphynx I did not visit the breeder because they do not live near me.
    Can you pm me the website of the breeder so I can check them out.
    2 of my sphynx came from the east coast but I knew I could trust the breeder.
    Before I got my first sphynx I was only looking at catterys in my state which were turning out to be bs.
    So a friend of the breeder on the east coast told him what was going on and I got my first sphynx.

8. Madoff

MadoffLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $299.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    she says her website is under 'construction'

9. Lisa Dobby

Lisa DobbyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1.00
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi
    I checked locally here and all of the local Breeders in my area up here in Canada do a $400.00 deposit with the average price for a non-breeding kitten between $1400.00 and $1800.00 dollars. This sometimes includes the price of the spay/neuter. This price would include a non-breeding contract. Sometimes you can get the kitten a bit cheaper if you agree to show as altered. Most Breeders would ideally like to have their cats shown at local shows which is good for their cattery. Although lots of us including me have no interest in showing their cat and just would like a terrific companion! My guy has only one eye so he wouldn't make a good show prospect. :Wink: But we knew that he had problems prior to bringing him home. He was purchased from a good friend of the family who happens to breed Sphynxs.
    There are many sites on the internet that outline "Contract for Sale of Kittens" you can search the net and find many examples of contracts so that you are educated as to what to expect from a reputable breeder. If the Breeder is too far away for you to visit in person I would try to choose one that has a really informative website and can provide you with lots of references of past kittens sold. And like the other member above gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Make sure everything is in writing so if you do end up with problems you can legally get your money back. I would definately talk with the Admin on PM and see what she has to say. On this site it is my understanding that we do not promote any particular Breeders nor make any statements that are bad about any particular Breeders as the intention of the Lair is for Owners and Breeders to chat about our cats and the wonderful addition they make to our lives and educate ourselves about the unique benefits of owning this beautiful affectionate breed of cat. We talk about health concerns and neat toys and share funny videos and photographs and talk about diet and nutrition.

Also many breeders ship kittens all over the world. It is quite safe for you to find a Breeder who is willing to send you a kitten from almost anywhere. I live in Western Canada and have purchased show dogs in the past from the United States and never had a problem. I researched and researched and found exactly what I was looking for. Right now I am presently awaiting a litter from Michigan to get a new "Show puppy" chihuahua from a Breeder. I have been waiting for my perfect show prospect to get born! I have been on the waiting list for a year and a half. It might take some time but I am willing to wait for this Breeder to produce the dog of my dreams. I am not a Breeder of dogs either but I just "LOVE" the show ring! In the mean time I have friends in the dog show world that I do handling for to keep me busy while I await.
    Hope this information helps a bit... Hopefully someone will PM you some more information that will be helpful in your quest.
    Take your time and the kitty of your dreams will come to you of this I am sure!

All the best

Lisa :)

10. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $142.00
    Ratings:
    +2,011
    Two of my sphynx came from North Carolina and I live in California.
    I would not just look for a kitten that is in your area.
    My friend in Canada just had a litter of 6 kittens born the other day.
    She charges $1400.

11. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $288,408.33
    Ratings:
    +18,098
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Just to clarify why Sphynxlair does not allow breeders links or allow comments, and or recommendations good or bad is because it will turn this site into a kaotic typical type pet forum, yahoo group or what ever messes that exist out there on the net and i am sure, actually positive you all could name or recall one. I have worked hard not to let this site fall into that realm. There are too many opinions and beliefs how one should breed and raise animals, and in my experiences allowing breeder recommending or positve/negative type feedback has never done well and has actually in some cases ended in law suits. So please understand why we closely monitor and remove links of breeders. I highly recommend PM'ing others for feedback on breeders but please lets keep it behind closed doors and be sure of fact and fiction when recommending good or bad feedback of a breeder.:Smile:
    Thanks,
    Admin

• Like Like x 2
    • gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $8.00
      Ratings:
      +2,470
    • holly_savage

holly_savageBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $5.00
      Ratings:
      +649
      Madoff, if it of any help to you, I have heard of them, the name, I think I saw it in my CCA magazine. I will look it up and get you any info I can, also, if there is any language barriers I am french and would be glad to help if that is an issue

• holly_savage

holly_savageBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $5.00
      Ratings:
      +649
      couldn't find it in the cca book, did you find them on kijiji? maybe that's where I saw the name. Also, check with Shauntay...she is from Quebec, maybe she has heard of them.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.