Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

France is back in lockdown

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As of Friday: No travel between departments. Schools and businesses open, but everyone is supposed to stay home as much as possible. Masks everywhere.
If it carries on like this... I'm going to be dead broke. All my savings are disappearing down the drain, since I can't rent out the gite.
Freaking awesome. Wish I'd never done this now, seriously. :(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I turn on the news it is so depressing. I am sorry it has impacted everyone and will continue to for a while unfortunately. Our cases are quickly ramping up here as well. I know you love your home and was so excited about your renovations and new life. Try not to let this rob you of the joys you still get to experience. Stay well.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Annejo12 , its sad here in the states too. I have gone thru my 457 savings and there are no programs for retirees or self employed. they give thousands a month here in FL in assistance but not to retirees living off savings . my neighs are eating steaks, remodeling, etc with govt. stimulus checks and I just shake my head. I am not eligible for any bcz I saved all my life and have to burn thru it till i have zero.

I could sit down and cry with @Silke too. Life changed on an instant. it's just awful . big hugs to you@Silke, I truly get it.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It sucks. :/
On top of that, my dad was going to come for a visit next week. Well, that's not gonna happen now either.
@Yoda mom
I mean, okay, I arrived here 2 years ago, I'm a foreigner, I get it.
But you've worked and paid taxes in your home country all your life, and not giving you any aid is appalling. :/

Lukassmile

Lairian
Ugh I’m so sorry. My job closed down in NYC. I was a teacher at a private art program. I had to move 12 hours away back in with my mom after burning through my savings on 6 months of rent. There’s got to be a brighter day on the horizon. I’m trying to stay positive and spend my time on my passions. I also get to take care of my elderly grandparents now. I am so thankful I have this time with them as they are both In their 90s. I will keep you in my thoughts, you too @Yoda mom i wish USA did more for our older generations . You deserve so much more.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom being self employed is tough. I'm making 1/4 to 1/3 of what I used to and I don't qualify for help.

But retirees still get their social security and their pensions. I live in a 55+ community so I see them. Me on the other hand, by the time I get to retirement - which won't be till age 67!!! - there won't be any money left.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando ((Hugs))) I wont be eligible for social security even though I paid into when I was younger but last main job didn't not pay into it and social security admin told me they plug me into the govt offset program or windfall elimination ...

prayers for all

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando ((Hugs))) I wont be eligible for social security even though I paid into when I was younger but last main job didn't not pay into it and social security admin told me they plug me into the govt offset program or windfall elimination ...

prayers for all
Please help me understand, what is windfall elimination or offset program?

And how could you not pay into it? Even as a self employed person I still pay self employment tax which is social security and medicare. I don't know too much about it though.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando , the two programs are better explained on the ss site. city had an exemption
It seems like the city owes you then.

I don't expect SS to do for me what it did for the people that are already retired. The money is going, going, gone. Any of the solutions that they are talking about are:

#1 not sufficient to get it back to where it was supposed to be so anything paid will be peanuts
#2 probably not gonna happen anyway because of partisan politics

Last edited:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Condo commando No idea. Things are up in the air, basically. I'd be in the same position in Spain. (Admittedly, with better weather in winter!)
But on the plus side... Timmy is making the most of my gorse clearing lol.
I went to muck out the horses and did a double-take...

01-11-2020 - IMG_7895-Export.jpg
01-11-2020 - IMG_7903-Export.jpg

01-11-2020 - IMG_7901-Export.jpg

01-11-2020 - IMG_7904-Export.jpg
01-11-2020 - IMG_7906-Export.jpg
01-11-2020 - IMG_7897-Export.jpg

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think the world’s countries will all be “counting body bags” for the foreseeable future. COVID isn’t going anywhere. It is here to stay and will enjoy a boost in numbers every Winter, just like the flu.

(Not trying time sound pessimistic, it’s just my nurse brain recognizing the health patterns and how this virus behaves). If you want to know more please pm me.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think the world’s countries will all be “counting body bags” for the foreseeable future. COVID isn’t going anywhere. It is here to stay and will enjoy a boost in numbers every Winter, just like the flu.

(Not trying time sound pessimistic, it’s just my nurse brain recognizing the health patterns and how this virus behaves). If you want to know more please pm me.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Well, that's not to say we shouldn't try NOT to get it, right? Less body bags....more body bags.....we want less don't we?

Back