Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Freaking out a little bit - getting a Sphynx soon!

hi everyone!

So I just yesterday put a deposit of a beautiful little Tuxedo boy Sphynx. I’m so excited, I’ve wanted one for years. As soon as I gave my deposit a big wave of anxiety came over me and then I read multiple stories about how terribly behaved Sphynx cats are! Now I’m freaking out a little, hoping I can handle it. I have two kids (1 and 3) and dog. I guess I’m just looking for support/advice on bringing a Sphynx home. Are they extremely hyper? Also, has anyone had luck with using soft paws?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Congratulations!!!!! It is an inquisitive breed, but just like with humans every one is different. Kittens by nature are a bit hyper, but you have kids to help tire it out lol. Don’t get yourself worried, when you should just be excited. Of all of our Sphynx we’ve had 6 total, only one I would call truly hyper. 2 of them have been super chill. Your life is about to change forever and I mean in a great way.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Clrussell09 welcome to sphynxlair. And congratulations with the desposit. Sphynx are terrible indeed....terrible cute, terrible adorable and sometimes terrible active yes. But you'll love every second of it:).

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Clrussell09 , welcoming your family to the lair family! Congrats on your upcoming Sphynx gotcha!
Take a deep breathe
Lol we all get the jitters pitter patter of Sphynx gotcha anticipation
Read all you can here - Amd ask any questions

Sphynx Cat Help Center

It's great to prepare for a smooth gotcha :)

It's a fun friendly bunch and we all come together for the love of the breed

Mant of us have multiple Sphynx , dogs and or children and can chime in with suggestions to specific questions .

Lots of slow introductions , set up a kitty safe room , check your contract if requires a wellness check with vet
Within days of gotcha day so you can pre schedule -

I find with my 4 they are monkey cat dog all in one
I train mine like I trained my dog lol
Treats and positve praise - you have a dog so you already know how to train a kitty too!
I set boundaries and they are super smart and learn fast ! I train them to a spot for meet n greets, treats and praise for using litter box , redirect Amy zoomies to a Dabird toy etc
Your kids will love the Sphynx fun!

Kitty proof your home For peace of mind and easy gotcha day -
I dont find them hyper - more very inquisitive - believe me , they have their snooze bed hog time !
often sleep in their blankets - I recommend those 50x60 soft plush throes you can get st Ross , Marshalls etc
I swear sometimes I even know I have 4 -
They get into a routine much like a dog .

You will be fine
we are here for you !

So excited for you and your family !
Look forward to lots of pics and tales!

I adopted mine as an adult so never had a kitten, but can say in my personal experience my sphynx is mischievousness in the most adorable way. He'll knock over any plastic cup or water bottle without a top to spill it. He was opening doors to places he should not be (the pantry, garage) so we had to change our handles to round instead of levers. But they are so cuddly and cute you simply can't be mad at them, & just learn to deal with the trouble they cause. We also have a huge German Shepherd and my daughter says our dog is Thor (big, dumb, well behaved) while our cat is Loki (small, wiry & mischievous). With small kids I'm sure you've learned to deal w/ some bad behaviors. You got this.

Sphynx mom for 5 weeks now to two Sphynx boys. They’re 4 months and one is tuxedo. I have two dogs, one other cat and three kids (5,3,1). So far it’s amazing. There’s upkeep on the Sphynx but it’s relaxing to me. They’re so well behaved. Only issue is them knocking over their food in attempts to eat faster. There perfect. Wishing you luck and excited to see updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try not to worry too much! When my partner and I brought home our two boys we had a couple anxiety ridden weeks. Mainly concerning how hyper they were in the small hours of the morning and avoiding URIs. Both worries calmed after a while.

It will take a while for your boy to settle into a routine. Due to their nocturnal nature they tend to get hyper right as we’re going to bed. As the weeks wore on they started to get used to our bedtime. They still sometimes tear about for an hour but generally when we turn the lights off they settle down. They are hyper but for bursts of about an hour, then they sleep a lot! Ours are 7 months now and they’re already less hyper, so wait it out and remind yourself it won’t always be like this! It helps to play with them right before bed to get some of their energy out.

With regards to keeping them healthy, I highly recommend getting L-lysine. It boosts their respiratory system and helps prevent upper respiratory infections (which are very common in kittens coming to a new home). We dosed ours with it and despite the full day of travelling to get home and a few sniffles and sneezes, they did not get URIs. We were on the phone to the vet and breeder multiple times in the first couple weeks due to being anxious first time parents but in the end all went smoothly.

Let us know how you get on! We have a tuxedo boy as well :) our hearts are so full after bringing these boys into our lives, I’m sure you won’t regret it!

As someone who just got her first sphynx a month ago, I totally understand and had those worries. And I will say, the first little bit IS the hardest, but don't panic. When we first got Missy, she was shy, didn't want to be held, wasn't using her litter box. We already had to take her to the vet for a mildly infected spay from her sutures inverting week 1, had to keep her in a cone and apply medicine and bandages daily. I worried that I made a huge mistake and just signed up to clean up cat pee stains from furniture for the rest of my life and that I would rack up a bill of 5,000+ for a medical issue that was beyond our control. But yet, I still loved her, she was starting to shine her little personality even despite all that. I tried to sound as positive as I could but inside I was worried.

With help from people here, it actually didn't take long for all of that to turn around though. She's 100% healthy and it did cost us but only around $400 without insurance. (Our vet was also superb and didnt even charge us for two of the visits). We got her using her little box exclusively now, no more accidents. And every step of the way I could ask questions here and get support. It did take some trial and error, but it happened.

Take a depe breath and know that in all likelihood it's going to be okay. We can't promise the exact temperament of your cat, they all have their little quirks, but they are trainable and there's lots of experience here. Most people do not have issues, part of the reason you find them when you look online is that most people dont go out of their way to post or ask questions about a cat thats doing 100% okay. And just be honest and ask. This is probably the most judgement free place in the internet. I thought I'd be fine before we got Missy. I had read every article, bought every item, watched every video. I was and still am very informed. But when it happened, I still came on and just asked "what can I do to get her in the litter box?" "Should feed her more?" "should I take her to the vet?". Embrace the community, know the first bit is the hardest because it's new for everyone. But overall, this is a wonderful and affectionate breed that is a joy to own :)