Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Frequent Urinating

CamedSoup

Lairian
Have any of you had experience with you baldies urinating very frequently? Latley Olive will continuously jump in the liter box and "pee" but only a little bit comes out. She'll do it almost non-stop. In the kitchen for doing dishes for about an hour, and she must've jumped in 6-8 times.

This has happened maybe starting Sunday; Sometimes she'll meow while she's in the box too. But she's eating/drinking, playing, running around.

I pressed around her bladder and stomach, nothing seems wrong or different and no outbursts from her. She does seem to be "pushing"(?) when she goes, like she's trying to get all of it out? I can't really see the color, I took a q-tip and wiped where a couple drops came out and it did look pink. So I'm concerned, my regular vet is closed on Wednesday so I'll have to try another place tomorrow.

CamedSoup

Lairian
Update: I called the E-vet and the technician had told me that she wasn't super duper concerned. She said as long as there is pee coming out, which there is, she isn't worried about a bursting bladder. She said definitely call a local vet in the morning. Obviously if we think Olive is getting worse, we'll bring her to the E-vet!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have had this happen and it was a UTI. It can become serious fast. I will be looking for updates. Your vet will prescribe an antibiotic after they test the urine.

CamedSoup

Lairian
Ah thanks! The E-Vet told me it sounded like the beginnings of a UTI. The vet doesn't open until 10am, and with this virus stuff I'm not really sure how it's going to work. But I'll be calling!

My husband was asking if she could've got it from not having a bath in a few weeks? We don't give Olive a bath as often as her brother, because her skin get super dry and bumpy. It's maybe been about 2 weeks. We'll give her a bath probably this weekend on a normal schedule.
Or do UTIs just happen like humans? I was telling him that some women just get them, like all the time (men lol)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
The lack of bath wouldn’t due it. Actually some cats like people are prone to them. Our girl had a few UTIs and we finally had to switch over to a prescriptive food. That’s great you are going. I didn’t want to scare you, but if she has crystals it can actually be fatal if not taken care of...so that’s great you will take her in. I know our vet is now not allowing humans in they take the animal from your car and bring them back out. So when you call you might ask how they are handling things now. Good luck.

CamedSoup

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Don't worry about freaking me out lol I have already done it!

So the vet doesn't think Olive has a UTI, he told me at this stage in the cats life they're switching from kitten to adult and might be having a dominance thing or stressed from the different hormones Oscar (her brother) is putting out. Which is giving her FIC, feline idiopathic cystitis! He said it is very uncommon for young cats to get UTIs

He said that the lining most likely has gotten swollen, due to stress, and now it hurts to pee but she has to pee and that's why she's frequently going. He gave her two anti-inflammatory shots and we'll give her pills for the next three days.

So suggestions are to increase water intake (which they already drink a lot. But will start giving her more wet food, and just try to make the home less stressful for her.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!! They always help

CamedSoup

Lairian
I don't believe he collected any urine. This vet isn't my normal one, mines closed on Wednesdays (womp).

Should he have? He didn't seem like he was concerned about it being a UTI at all.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree it sounds like a UTI. They should do a urinalysis and send the urine sample to a lab for a culture and sensitivity analysis.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CamedSoup , hugs n healing vibes.

I am literally dealing with this with my moms cat this week. in and out of box, little output, off to vet. they couldnt even get urine out of him, so no urine test or cystocentesis urine draw possible. ** the vet palpated abdomen area to see if it was hard to feel for possible hardening, blockage. they said no blockage , yah, and did go and treat as a UTI... I am giving him meds 2x a day, he already started peeing better after a day on meds.

for peace of mind I would still ask to take a peek at a urine sample, not sure if you can drop off. I am not a vet, but always err on the side of caution. glad you got a second opinion. following closely for updates. healing vibes!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CamedSoup here is a handy reference I posted awhile back as a reference

1585886206218.png

1585885768745.png

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CamedSoup also wanted to share when I adopted my 2 year old he had a stress related UTI ( had a cystocentesis urine draw initially and recheck draw in 20 days). treated and never had another, turning 9 soon.

hugs n positive vibes! keep us updated

CamedSoup

Lairian
Thanks for all the suggestions and help! Olive had a normal pee yesterday! Tonight will be the last for the meds, and hopefully it will stay that way We're trying to enrich the environment and we started feeding Oscar and her in separate places, because we feel Oscar will bully her out of food. It suggested to try and give cats with FIC their own spaces. But will keep a close eye on the situation!!

CamedSoup

Lairian
While Olive is peeing normal now (Yay!!) Both of our cats are now having diarrhea, lol I can't catch a break. I'm not really sure what it is,as both are acting normal and eating/drinking. They have been a bit more "amped" or "crazy" lately and maybe that's upsetting their stomachs. I dunno

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Both of them having the problem usually means one cat caught something and passed it to the other one. You could do a poop sample for just one cat and then if it's positive get meds for both of them.

If you end up putting them on meds, add a probiotic to their food. Because meds kill stuff, some of what they kill is "good" bacteria. The probiotic helps replenish that.

Back